“Showing signs of age”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Springfield
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I've been coming to this hotel for a few years now and it's starting to show signs of aging.

Check in was easy and the staff was great. Very friendly. Check-in probably took less than 3 minutes.

The rooms need to be updated. The ventilation needs to be upgraded. The carpet needs to be replaced. I"m not saying that the carpet is dirty. It didn't appear to be. But, it just "felt" like it was hiding a deep, dark secret.

The shower was disappointing. That's all I can say.

I enjoy this chain of hotels but this one needs to have an update. It's not the worst hotel by any means but it's time for some minor renovations.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank HGfromOmaha
Stephanie H, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback regarding your recent stay. I apologize the condition of the hotel was not to your satisfaction. We are in the midst of putting together a property improvement plan, unfortunately there is no concrete start date at this time. We are installing flat-screen TV's in July so the improvement process has already started.

Thank you for your positive comments on our staff. It is always encouraging to hear our staff is delivering excellent customer service.

Thank you for your loyalty to our hotel and the Country Inns & Suites brand. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Springfield.

Ted Wackler
Assistant General Manager

There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Springfield

Reviewed April 14, 2012

The hotel staff are very amazing and accommodating. One of the ladies even remembered me from a previous stay over 3 years ago. The rooms are comfortable and clean, but definitely need updated. Microwave and refrigerator only in suites. Non-Smoking rooms that are below a Smoking room (which are all on 3rd floor) smell like smoke. Front doors are not automatic and open outward, so difficult to bring in luggage cart after it's loaded. Also, no fitness center. Not even a treadmill. Pool and spa were enjoyable though. Stayed for 5 weeks, checked in on Monday and out on Friday. The proximity to where I was working and restaurants and the friendliness of the staff was the main reasons I continued to stay there.

Room Tip: If you don't like the smell of smoke, make sure it's not a room that's directly below a...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank WVTaxGal
Stephanie H, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was less than perfect.

I apologize for the lack of a fitness center and know that can be an inconvenience. We do partner with a local gym down the street so the next time you stay with us you will have to be sure and visit that facility. Just show your room key and you will be all set to workout for free.

I am very pleased to hear that the staff continues to provide the excellent customer service you are accustomed to when staying with us. We pride ourselves on providing a memorable experience for each of our hotel guests and we are happy this shows through. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Springfield, Ohio.

Thanks,
Ted Wackler
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed February 2, 2012

but the hotel was nice and very clean. Beds were comfortable and the room was nice. Breakfast was a litte misleading as "breakfast buffet" included french toast (there wasn't any there while we were there), sausage patties (almost all gone) and belgium waffles (you make your own) -- the rest was basically continental style. A little pricey for the value, in my opinion, but the hotel was nice and the staff was courteous and helpful. We will probably check out other options if we go there again.

Room Tip: Lights from the parking lot bled into our room -- it wasn't horrible but I would probably choose...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Randy1964
Reviewed November 30, 2011

We always stay here when in Springfield which is a couple of times a year as typically they have some nice extra touches when compared to the other hotels in the area. This time i was a little disappointed. The hallway carpets looked like they need a steam clean, the spa next to the swimming pool was a little grubby one day, the coffee wasn't up to the usual standard (but it is still free i suppose...). To be fair it was busy and so maybe they were struggling to keep up. I'm sure we'll be back just hope they take better care of the details next time.

Our room was clean and good as always, i agree with other reviewers, get the suite.

Room Tip: Suites are good and not an expensive upgrade.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Mikey88
Reviewed November 23, 2011

Nice place, I think too much $$ for the stay but nice place, convenient breakfast, smallish pool area, a couple chain restaurants in walking distance, close to the highway. Parking lot is goofy, dead ends after pulling through the foyer area, had to back out from the dead end, could have used a sign to help people pulling trailers. I did like the bedroom split from the living room by french doors and a TV in each area. The furniture in the sitting area is utilitarian. Bed very comfortable and fresh. Overall meets what I expected from this hotel. Can recommend to stay there.

Room Tip: There is a central staircase to the second floor from the foyer. Better to get rooms away from the...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SigRhoMike
Reviewed November 19, 2011

We stayed in the King suite with dbl whirlpool tub for 3 nights. Very pleased, great service, nice bed and linens, clean, and convenient right off the hwy!

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed November 5, 2011

I travel a lot and although other aspects are ok, I cannot find it in me to give above a poor rating when I go in and find an area of stuff that should have been cleaned or in a vacuum. When I sat on one of the beds I immediately noticed an area of about a foot in diameter of scattered dirt and rocks on one of the comforters. Free breakfast was standard continental, nothing special. Arrived at hotel late and had to wait to be let in, no one was initially at the desk. Front desk did have a spare phone charger available, but still I find that average and cannot upgrade rating with the debris on the comforter.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business