Buck Creek State Park
Ranked #3 of 32 things to do in Springfield
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Buck Creek State Park is a wonderful park to visit in the fall. The dam was about a mile across and very windy to walk across. There were lots of people enjoying the park on the water and around the water. We hike the lakeshore path which ran about 7 miles on the shores of the lake. There were several beaches including a swimming one. There is a marina with a snack bar, a camp store and several shelters to reserve. It is a perfect place for a picnic.

1  Thank soontobeforty

Reviewed August 9, 2012

My husband, parents, and I stayed at a cottage at Buck Creek State Park. It was very nasty. The carpet, chairs, and couches all had mysterious stains. The cabin was supposed to be non smoking but had a very strong cigarette odor. We tried to air out the cabin by opening windows and sprayed everything with a full bottle of Febreeze but it still smelled bad. I complained to the camp office and they said they could not do anything. The carpet had mold in it and we all woke with lots of congestion. I will not stay at the cottages again. My family has reunion there every year and the quality of the cottages has severely decreased. Tent camping seems glorious compared to that gross cottage.

2  Thank Mary E
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I stayed in Cabin #15 for a weekend during my in-law's family reunion.
Let me first say the park itself is a great place for a family reunion with the lake, bicycle trails, and places to play football, baseball, kickball, ... There is no pool here, but there is a water park in town not far from the state park.

It would have been a great weekend if we didn't stay at a cabin.
When we walked in to cabin #15, we were struck with a strong smell of smoke, mold (or mildew), and some sort of chemical. My wife called about the cabin and was basically told "tough luck, open the windows". We went back in and opened the windows, but it only helped a little.

In addition to the smoke and mold, several curtains were broken. One curtain actually fell off the end of the hanger onto the floor. There were also stains all over the floor and couch. We didn't dare walk around the cabin without shoes!

I did not see other cabins, but family members did mention the poor shape of their cabins. My guess is if the park let one cabin get this bad, they all are probably bad.

If reunion is ever at Buck Creek State Park in the future, we will not be staying in the cabins unless they have been gutted and rebuilt!

On a side note, there was another group playing loud music from around 3PM till around 11PM that could heard all through the cabin area. I am not sure if this is a common occurrence, but it detracted from the family atmosphere while we were there. To the loud music group - Have common sense and be respectful of others... you aren't the only group there.

2  Thank SuperPoser
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We had our 30 year class reunion at Buck Creek and it was nice to have a shelter house for the reunion and we could do what we wanted and not have to worry about anyone else.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

It's always nice to have a state park in your backyard, but Buck Creek, isn't really a naturalist's paradise. It just feels very man made, too much mown grass, a little boring. Beach is ok, watch for broken glass (I don't blame the park, I blame the jerks that hang out down there). The area around the playground and spillway is nice. There is a neat area across the road from the entrance by the playground and the spillway (don't believe it is part of the state park) with a pond full of waterfowl, tennis courts, a stocked fishing pond, and a LOVELY dog park, if you're bringing furry friends. Saw one review that said it's one of the better state parks in Ohio, I disagree. Campground is more like camping in a large yard (I prefer primitive, secluded, woodsy tent camping), too much open mowed space, too man made. Good for boating and a little picnicking. Caesar creek is better, Deer creek is a lot better, Hocking Hills blows it away. Bottom line, it's nice to have ten minutes from my house but I wouldn't travel from any distance to seek it out.

1  Thank LoShmo