Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
Schedule a visit now

My wife and I scheduled a visited for this museum. I was pleased to find this treasure in town. A... read more

Reviewed April 2, 2018
realbiglu
Bellefontaine, Ohio
A gem for history

We went for a nice afternoon when it was decorated for Christmas. So interesting! I used to live... read more

Reviewed December 3, 2017
beckycnp
Lake Worth, Florida
via mobile

All reviews artifacts button volunteers gem history museum
Selected filters
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Dont' let one grumpy person spoil your chance to visit this unique old Inn, one of the few of this time
period with integrity of the times....some of original owners portraits, many period pieces, and docents who
will take you through the Inn and give insightful talks....
Grumpy did arrive an hour early that day for his/her visit....and almost always the Inn is open for
visits at scheduled times...

Personally living in Springfield I have NEVER heard of this happening before (where they did not open
for a tour) . Am skeptical.
So you could always call ahead to make sure they are open.
You won't be disapponted.

Date of experience: February 2013
1  Thank wikiones
Management response:Responded September 2, 2015

Thank You for your kind words! I can well understand being grumpy if the house wasn't open when it should have been...things occasionally happen though we do our best to overcome them.
I'm glad the "grumpy" person did not spoil your tour.
As you can see we are now moving into social media that's why your response is so late, we didn't have anyone to do it before now. Again thank you for your kindness and I hope you will come visit again soon. Special events this year are on 11 Oct and 5 Dec, check out the PA House on facebook to learn more.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Nice little tour and explanation of the history of the PA. House. Our home is of the same vintage and they had very similar built in cabinet doors which supported the age of our home.

3  Thank XXLjim
Reviewed December 22, 2012

A wonderful collection of historical items - be sure to read the timeline to get a good sense of the history of the area and the times represented. Docents are very friendly & knowledgeable.

Date of experience: December 2012
3  Thank OH2CA
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Worth a little trouble to find. Wonderful slices of Amercan History from the great migration westward as seen from "The Inn at the End of the Pike" (The National Road). Recently updated with historical architect and archeology and very impressive restoration. Lots of artifacts from The Whitehouse to local settlers. Washington's valet's hat, artwork, giant petipoint tapestry, period Dr's office to name a few. Guides are all volunteers with great stories on the history of the stagecoach stop and how phrases we use everyday came about from this time.
Didn't think I would be fascinated by a button collection; but this is worth the stop alone to see this exhibit that covers early history of buttons from all over the world. Would definitely recommend this to friends. $5.00 Adults. Gracious with your time and receptive to questions.

Date of experience: May 2012
2  Thank JoePilot
Reviewed March 30, 2012

I think this is the place I sat on the porch for 1 hour waiting for them to open. Big old red brick inn, beautiful on the outside.I made special plans to be here at the hour posted for opening. Finally a lady comes out and said the docent was in training and there would be no one to show people through so they would not be opening that day. Nice!

Date of experience: August 2011
3  Thank cathy v
Management response:Responded September 2, 2015

Can't blame you for being upset, I would be too. We are run by volunteers and for the docent in training was no excuse to be denied a tour in fact that was an excellent time for the docent to learn on the job.
We had no one prior to recently to respond to on line reviews, so while this is a bit late in the
response please be sure we are trying to fix that problem.
I hope you will give us another chance in fact if you are in the local area a great time to come will be 11 Oct 2015 as we will have tours for $1.25 in recognition of the DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) 125 yr. I truly hope to see you there.