“Reasonable, but not rave-worthy” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 55 Restaurants in Springboro
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Richmond, Indiana
“Reasonable, but not rave-worthy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

"It's the best Chinese food you'll ever have." That's what I was told.

I want to agree but I can't.

First, I walked into the restaurant while a party of four was waiting. Someone took them to a table. I waited and waited. I looked around a bit and was ready to leave, and the same person came over to ask me if I needed help and I replied "I'm here to eat."

So, he starts to go toward the right and then told me "oh, just follow her." so I did, and she stopped at a table to take care of a pair of people. So, I'm standing there again, like a fool. Afterward, she put a menu on a booth table and took away the untensils and napkin. It felt very much as though I was inconvenient to them.

She returned and asked if I would like something to drink and I said "tea" and then, "green tea" and we apparently had a bit of miscommunication and she paused and said "hot tea" and I said "yes".

After a few minutes, an older woman passed my booth and asked me if I wanted something to drink and I told her than someone else was getting it. Then, I asked if they had a real Chinese food menu, and she went away for a moment and returned with one.

The waitress put my tea pot and cup on my table and left. A couple of minutes later, she returned and asked what I wanted to order. "Oh, you have that menu, too." she said. So, I ordered Hot and Sour Soup from the non-Asian menu and Five Spices Shredded Pork with Tofu from the Asian menu.

The Hot and Sour Soup was not really sour at all but it had a bit of spice, lots of vegetables, and not much tofu or pork and the portion seemed very small for $1.75. I suppose if I had shopped at Dorothy Lane Market further down the shopping centre, I wouldn't have minded.

The five spices shredded pork and tofu arrived very quickly--too quickly to be cooked just then and it wasn't particularly hot. I suspect that they make many dishes early in the morning and just have multiple pots in the back in a heated holding area. That said, it was acceptable, but for $12.95, I expected more flavour, more temperature, more freshness.

When I got to talk to the people, they were much more friendly than I initially found them to be, but it wasn't a great experience and unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend the place, unless you really couldn't find another.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Springboro, Ohio
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bland”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

Wow, its becoming a pattern, when you get carry out its so bland. I have never had asian food that had no taste.

• Visited January 2013
Springboro, Ohio
“Reliable experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

The food is always of good quality at this China Cottage. The service is pretty good and it always seems easy to be seated and served quickly. A big plus is they are willing to provide the meal sans MSG. Also, the portions are large. The Cashew Chicken meal, which is what I usually get, is too much to eat in one sitting.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TheOpsDoctor
Middletown, Ohio, United States
“Used to be better.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

I don't know if they changed chefs or what happened, but China Cottage used to be a lot better than it is now. It's still a decent Chinese restaurant, but just not as good as it once was. I used to go there every week but now I rarely go anymore.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Pat K
Cleveland, Ohio
“Delicious !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

On a recent business trip , I was looking for fresh food, not heavy and processed. China Cottage fufillled that for me. The house chicken special with white meat is very delicious ! Pair that with a pot of tea and it makes for an enjoyable meal. The waiter was kind and attentive and the pricing was just right for fresh food.

• Visited August 2012