“A nice touch or three but hospitality is not an amenity”
Review of Comfort Suites

Comfort Suites
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in South Point
Baltimore, Maryland
“A nice touch or three but hospitality is not an amenity”
Reviewed January 13, 2011

I stay in a LOT of hotels all over the US, I've seen some really (REALLY) bad ones and some very (IS THAT A CHAMPAGNE FOUNTAIN?!) nice ones.....I was in town to visit family I had not seen in a few years and truth be told, this Hotel was the nicest, newest, cleanest one in the area. Since most of the hotels that are in this area had turned into "pay by the week slums" and I wasn't really in the mood to have a cockroach crawl in my ear while I (attempt to) sleep..I opted for the Comfort Suites. I mean, yeah $40 bucks might sound like a deal to some but I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for", so all in all after tax and all the rest $100 bucks a night for 3 nights ($300) sounded quite reasonable.
So let me start out by stating all the good (aside from not having to worry about having a cockroach eat my brain or crawl in my mouth while I slept). Nice, new, location close to the highway, just minutes from Huntington WV and Ashland KY. Nothing over the top or special about this Comfort Suites but it had the basics and with it being as new as it was, I barely had the impulse to go through my usual routine of stripping the bed to use my own blankets, covering the remote with a plastic bag and all the other tricks a regular hotel visiting business professional like myself has learned over the years...not that I refrained from doing these things, but the impulse was lessened by the very clean rooms and such.
1 extra special touch I really liked was my GF has a stuffed animal dog she sleeps with every night (I know, I know..I'll explain) and even takes with her when she travels. She had left the dog on a couch in the room when we woke up the first morning and we left to go visit family. When we returned, housekeeping had straightened the room and even put her stuffed dog on the bed lying on the pillows...this tickled my girlfriend because I bought her this dog 11 years ago when we first started dating and it's practically family now...so whoever you are nice housekeeping person..THANK YOU for that extra little touch.

Now for the bad...
Over the course of the 3 days we stayed there we would often leave in the morning, go out and visit family, come back, freshen up, go back out and see family and then come back ...sometimes I would go back out to see more family later at night while my GF rested in the hotel. Now being someone who travels a lot for work and spends a lot of time in meetings and sleeping in hotels and such, I have come into the habit of when I go past the front desk, I aknowledge the staff there and greet them, say "Hello" or "How are you today?" Many times before I can do so I am greeted or asked how my evening is or whatever, aknowledged in some way by staff in the places I stay. If I had one gripe about this location it would be the lack of aknowledgement and hostpitality by the night shift front desk person...I won't say Maitre D since this gentleman neither seemed professional, nor commanded or gave respect.

On the first night, when we went to check in (we didn't get there until after 1 a.m.) the guy seemed kinda miffed we were "bothering" him at that unreasonable hour...he was not friendly or courteous. When we walked in he didn't greet us or say anything, he just stared at us until my GF said "We would like a room" and he just said the price of the room....we both looked at each other like, what is this guy's problem and just asked for a room. As I went to unload the car and bring in our bags I noticed my navigation system said the time was 2am instead of 1am...I grabbed my bags and walked in (hands full) and asked the gentleman what time it was. He kind of gave me a look like I was stupid and pointed to the wall where there was a clock.....ok. I was tired, had my hands full, had driven 8 hours...maybe my request for the time was a little unreasonable? So I brushed it off and went about my business of lugging in the 2 weeks worth of clothing my GF decided to pack for a 3 day stay. When I got up to the room my GF mentioned she tried to make small talk with the guy, even joke, as he got our key ready and such and he was just very monotone and unaproachable conversationally...her take on it was he acted like he didn't want to be bothered.

Over the course of those 3 days my GF and I came and went to and from the hotel at various hours...During the day the people working didn't go out of their way to greet us or anything but if I said "Hi How are you today?" They said Hi back and smiled...though never getting up from the seat in front of the computer...
But EVERY time I came or went at night and said anything to the gentlman at the desk he ignored me and just shot me a look like he really didn't care if I was on fire or the ghost of Tom Joad or the Mothman himself....he just really seemed like he was either really miserable or just didn't care...at this point it kind of irritated me after the 2nd or 3rd time. So I made it a point to make my next "Hello" to this gentleman particularly cheery, "Hi! How are you tonight?! REally cold and snowing out there huh?".........again same dull, glassy eyed stare, no reply......So from that point on if I passed that guy I just ignored him, acted like he wasn't there and went on by....but it still bugged me...was it me? Was this guy just hating his job? Was he really into Twittering about how his last job at the Roach Motel down the street sucked? I'll never know.........
For this trip I merely used the hotel as aplace to sleep and store my few meager belongings and my GF's closet, so we didn't spend any time inside the hotel other than to sleep and shower and dress, but I would say overall, considering the immdiate alternatives or driving to Huntington, recommend this location to friends if they found themselves in "that neck of the woods" I would tell them to be sure to say "Hi!" to the night shift desk guy in their most cheery tone...but make sure they don't ask for the time!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank noUturn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Nashville, TN
Reviewed September 6, 2010

Comfort Suites at South Point, OH is a very nice place to stay just west of Huntington, WV. The hotel is new, attractive, clean, and fresh. The staff is gracious and welcoming. Our first floor room has a 10’ ceiling which makes the large king room feel even more spacious. The room has two areas. The comfortable sitting area has a sofa, coffee table, desk, chair, three lamps, and a bench. The comfortable bed has a night table with lamps on both sides; a large flat panel TV sits atop a nice cabinet which houses the refrigerator, microwave, and drawers; and an extra chair is available in the corner. The bathroom has a pretty vanity and is large enough to be convenient.

Public areas are nice. The attractive lobby lets you know that this hotel is above average; it is gracious and attractive. The business room has only 1 PC, but it is new with a fast connection. A nice breakfast is provided in a neat room next to the lobby. This morning, the hot offerings were scrambled eggs and link sausage. Comfort Suites usual breakfast items are also present: Belgian waffles, fresh fruit, yogurt, cold cereals, instant oatmeal, packaged pastries, fruit juices, teas, and coffee.

The rooms have a touch access magnetic lock that is easy to use, but the doors need an extra push to lock, and this can be noisy. The hotel is two miles off I-64, so interstate road noise is not an issue, but it is just off Hwy 52 which seemed busy when we arrived. Our request for a room far from the main road was accommodated, so the only other noise we encountered was some noisy neighbors late in the evening. The AC/heat unit below the window is controlled by a wall-mounted thermostat; it operates efficiently and quietly. The bathroom does not have a vent system which would prevent the bath from steaming. The hot water does not get as hot as one might like, and in spite of this, the mirror will still get fogged.

We enjoyed our stay here and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RetiredTravelerTN
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed July 26, 2010

I would say that this hotel is the best in the area. It is a relatively new hotel. It is clean, beds are comfortable, and the staff was very courteous. The pictures are realistic. The hotel is closer to Ironton, OH than we thought. Please keep in mind that South Point, OH is not a thriving metropolis. However, there are several restaurants close by (Bob Evans, Long John Silvers, Arbys, etc.)

The breakfast was not that great, but it worked. One morning it was gravy biscuits and scrambled eggs. The next morning it was "omeletes" and sausage patties. The "omeletes" looked like the eggs on McDonald's egg biscuits. However, they do have a waffle maker, cereal, yogurt, fruit, etc.

Overall, it was a good stay. Again, the hotel was clean, the beds were very comfortable, and the staff was very nice. This review is coming to someone that usually stays at Hyatts or Embassy Suites hotels.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank sharpe_012001
Ohio
Reviewed July 26, 2010

This hotel is Newer everyone was very friendly breakfast was good more than most comfort inns with bacon eggs as well as waffles. Rooms were spacious air worked great and rooms were quiet. Overall great stay. Only thing is the parking lot is a little small I travel with a pickup with a trailer attached it was a little difficult to park. Also Garmin wants to take you across the street the hotel is across from speedway and various fast food places.

• Stayed July 2010
1 Thank Ohiojo
Cincinnati
Reviewed December 27, 2009

We stayed at this hotel on the way home from NC to Cincinnati. This location just opened in June 2009 and still looks clean and new. This hotel should remain in this condition with the strict no-smoking policy they enforce inside the property. We have three kids and the 2 queen beds and couch sofa were perfect for our family. My wife thought the mattresses were very comfortable. If you are in the Huntington, WV area, I would recommend staying here. It is only 1.5 miles from I-64 and is on Highway 52 on the Ohio side of the river.

They include a hot breakfast in the morning. The day we were there they had cheese omelets, bacon, Belgian waffles, yogurt, fruit, cereal and rolls. The lady was making the omelets to order so that they would not dry out and become cold.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Comfort Inn Barboursville
Comfort Inn Barboursville
#4 of 4 in Barboursville
Hampton Inn Huntington University Area

Been to Comfort Suites? Share your experiences!