“Absolutely adequate in hocking hills!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Bloomingville
Top of The Caves Campground
Ireland
“Absolutely adequate in hocking hills!”
Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

I know that this place is different from many other campgrounds. I also know it doesn't deserve some of the extremely negative reviews. The shower house could do with some painting! There's lots of rules posted everywhere but maybe clientele have been rowdy so I didn't take it personally! Am I lifelong friends with the owners? No! We're they friendly enough when I was there? Absolutely! There was hot water all the time. They pointed us to the trails. They were busy getting ready for the Memorial Day weekend coming up. Everything was sufficient and I will return when I am back in hocking hills. The trails are very accessible. It is a good place to stay!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank LouiseKIreland

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Uhrichsville, Ohio
Reviewed October 15, 2012

The campground is on a hill with very few level sites for larger units. Several sites have very nice decks (additional cost) which certainly help alleviate that problem. The restrooms were old but clean and not convenient to all sites. The showers are controlled by pull cords which made it a bit awkward to wash/rinse hair while holding the cord! The grounds are clean and the staff we encountered were very pleasant.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank papadeedee
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed October 15, 2012

The location is unbeatable. You are in the park and can hike in/out of the main attractions (the falls, caves, etc.).

We stayed in the Hickory Cabin, and the accommodations are poor:
-We found two cockroaches (alive and kicking) in two days.
-We found "evidence" of mice in one of the beds.
-The mattresses are completely worn out.
-The other furnishings are very dated and mismatched.

In short, for the price, you can do better in Hocking Hills.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OhioTravelerJB
Roseville, Michigan
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I looked very hard for that special campground for our vacation. 10 days is a long time, and if I didnt make the right decision, I would never here the end of it from our kids. It was awesome. I was looking for something that was not COMMERCIALIZED and I found it. Getting back to the basics. I would like to take the time to thanks Mark and Harry, my 10 yr old son still talks about them. I think they found a new best friend. (Mark: Liam filled me in about the cucumber smell, lol, you got me) Thank you for taking the time with the kids and also us adults had alot of fun. You really made it a special family vacation. Went zip lining canopy tour, horse back riding and Tucumsah. Worth the money. Took us a long time to get there, and we will absolutly go back.

Thanks again for a fantastic Vacation. Hope to see you all soon. Your friends from Roseville Michigan. Jeff, Cheryl, Danielle and Liam.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank CDUBS1
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Just finished a 4 day 3 night tent camping trip at Top O The Caves campground with my family. The 1st thing I'd like to say is THANK YOU to the staff for a WONDERFUL time! I think it's a shame that there are so many negative reviews about your place, and I'll be commenting on them shortly. But 1st:

The Good -

1) LOCATION! The campground is WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE to Ash Cave and a mile or two to Old Man's Cave and Cedar Falls. No city lights (obviously), no road noise, and a beautiful drive in the hills. The campground itself is beautifully landscaped.
2) VARIETY! Take a look at the map, it speaks for itself. Do you want to camp in the woods? Out in the open under the HUGE open night sky (would be PERFECT for stargazing and meteor showers)? Along a wood line? Primitive? Electric hookups? Sites close together (for family and friends)? Or a site all to yourself? It's all there so take your pick!
3) PRIVACY! We weren't bothered at all by ANYONE. Nor were we forced to listen to 'noisy neighbor's conversations'. We heard children playing at their sites, and that's exactly what you should hear! Families enjoying themselves! Nothing carried on into the middle of the night like a couple reviews claim. Even if they did, is that really the campgrounds fault... or those specific campers that are making the noise? You'll find that anywhere.
4) STAFF! It was so easy to strike up a conversation with every staff member! They ARE friendly and respectful. I walked to the restroom at about 8 in the morning and one man was already in there cleaning and stocking it first thing that day. He asked where we were from and told me how people from all over come through there, even from Israel! Later that night when I went in I could smell the same cleaner spray he had used that morning, which means he had just recently cleaned it again. Another staff member and I were talking about stargazing in that huge field while he was cleaning the laundry room. The lady in the office actually personally delivered my five bundles of firewood I purchased to our campsite for me, even though I told her I would come back for them after unloading some things. Now that's called COURTESY! I witnessed multiple times them driving folks around the grounds, showing them different available sites. These are not the 'rude' and 'neglecting' or 'untrustworthy' staff members that some people have claimed. Another thing, during our stay some campers that were checking in pulled up to the site right next to us. We could tell they wanted more privacy by the way they slowly inspected the site they must have reserved. They walked around to some other sites, went back to the office and must have requested to change their site so they could have some privacy and it was granted them! Another couple walked around the sites near us but wound up changing to a different site as well. I'm trying to say that the office was obviously flexible so we could all be 'spread out'.

The Bad -

ENTERTAINMENT- And I'm talking about the mini golf and the arcades in the Rec Room. The mini golf MUST be updated so customers can enjoy it, even if it's just replacing the green. It's very torn up right now that it's probably not functional. I did see kids putting, but they weren't playing a real game. The problem with the arcades is really just that there aren't enough. There's a couple of pool tables and an air hockey table, but only 3 or 4 other arcade games. A couple more would be great.
But I will say this, mini golf and arcades are not what people look to for entertainment here. It's all about the caves, and they're right around the corner!!! Still, it would be better for the kids if these were spruced up a bit.

The Ugly -

THE REVIEWS. Top 'O The Caves just hasn't gotten the credit it deserves. Is this the PERFECT campground? No, of course not. But does it deserve such low ratings and disgusting reviews? Not at all! I think what's going on is the people that have been here that sincerely enjoyed their stay just don't think to write a review, while the people that woke up cranky because they slept on a root just want to shout and complain. "One sink was down all weekend..." ok, use another one. "the hot and cold faucets were flipped..." well that's easy to adapt to, is it really such a problem? "No hot tub, satellite, or tv..." That's right, it's called 'camping'. "Our site had no shade..." Pick a different one. "I stayed Memorial Day weekend and it was overcrowded..." Umm... duh?

About the bathrooms... They're not THAT bad folks! The toilets worked just fine, the sinks worked just fine. No flies or insects buzzing around in them at all. Maybe some people are just expecting the Embassy Suites or something? One 'lady' wrote that 'if the toilets flushed they leaked human waste all over the floor' and they offered her a free can of soda for her troubles. I'm so sure. My wife is SO careful about bathrooms and facility's cleanliness and SHE could do it! Matter of fact, she said the woman's restroom at Old Man's Cave was WORSE. If you're that squeamish then you either need to invest in a pop up privacy shelter and a camping porta potty and shower bag, or you just need to pick a different hobby. Man we're spoiled!

So here it is again, GREAT LOCATION, FRIENDLY STAFF, PLENTY OF VARIETY AND PRIVACY, BEAUTIFUL LAND. The campground itself is fun to walk around and tour. And when you do, you'll discover there's actually another set of restrooms and showers! - for the two 'ladies' that say there was only one set for the entire 'overcrowded' campground (Memorial Day, duh.).

I'm giving Top 'O The Caves 5 stars across the board. Not because they're perfect, but in an attempt to counter some of these unfair ratings from grumpy ungrateful people. But personally, I DO believe that the Service, the Value, the Sleep Quality, the Location ARE 5 Stars anyway. I didn't comment on the cabins or the pool because we neither used them nor inspected them. There are plenty of other cabins in the area, so don't let it keep you from enjoying your visit to Hocking Hills Ohio!

Thanks again Top 'O The Caves! We'll be seeing you again!

-some Happy Campers :-)

Room Tip: sites west of pond and south of Indian Village more spaced out and private
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank asileo
Ohio City, Ohio
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I have camped many places and expected that this would be a normal campground. Upon arrival it was dark and pretty late on labor day weekend. Tom, then manager was rude and if I had young children with me I would have left. Someone that is that unhappy with life and that rude and mean shouldn't be at a family campground. The girls at the office were both very nice and very apologetic to us for his behavior. All weekend I made sure to keep an eye out on him and watch the children around me. The restrooms were ok, what I would have expected except one sink was down all weekend and someone doesn't know how to hook up hot and cold faucets. They were flipped. The showers were very private which I liked, but not that clean. Or maybe they were but the paint was all chipped and coming up. I actually thought the pull string showers was very smart way to minimize the water use. Especially since wate has to be brought in. Which the first day they ran out of water and when we showered it was so gross! There were lots of party people but we brought a fan to that worked for us to keep noise down. We were in a sleep cabin that could have used some sprucing up. The top of the smoke detector was gone, the plastic covers over the mattresses were torn up and the fridge was broken and ruste out pretty bad. Don't even try to play putt-putt..wow...what a hot mess! The pool was green...and iron covered. I own a pool and this pool was disgusting. All in all we won't go back as long as the manager Tom is working there. We do not deserve to be treated the way he treats people and I would be very fearful of being small children around him!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank MommaBearx2
Ohio
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We just stayed here and we were mostly happy with the place. The grounds were very clean and mowed, playground had swings, slide and see-saw. We didn't use the pool, but it looked ok. There is a pond to fish in. Our site was roomy, flat and close to the bath house. It is very hilly, so I can't imagine using a tent,but many people were. It is RIGHT by the caves. One trail head to Ash Cave is right by the entrance to the campground which was nice. All others are within a couple miles. The bathrooms and showers could definitely be cleaner and repainted to improve them. They are flush toilets, and to me that is better than pit/latrine toilets anyday. But with the other amenities and closeness to everything (we also drove to the outdoor drama Tecumseh in Chillicothe and it takes about 45 min.) we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lynn K
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Bloomingville
Holiday Inn Express Logan
Baymont Inn & Suites Logan
The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls

Been to Top of The Caves Campground? Share your experiences!