“Worst campground ever!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Bloomingville
Top of The Caves Campground
Gahanna, Ohio
“Worst campground ever!”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

The ad for this dump states "The facility has two modern shower houses (with plenty of hot water)"...what a lie! We arrived for Memorial Day weekend on Friday and the showers were scalding hot. There is only 1 shower house and they are a pull string type shower so there is no water adjustment. We should have been thankful to even be able to shower! On Saturday, the campground ran out of water, so we were unable to use the toilet or showers for 4 1/2 hours! The bathrooms are filthy. The toilets did not flush and if they did, it leaked human waste all over the floor!!! This place is a health hazard and an absolute DUMP! When I complained and demanded a refund, I was told they "always run out of water on holiday weekends". They also stated that the bathrooms are "cleaned by men and men just don't get it". WHAT A CROCK! As an apology, I was offered a FREE can of soda! What an insult!!! NEVER AGAIN! I took many photos and plan on reporting them to the Ohio Campers Association, the Board of Health and anyone else that will force them into making this place less hazardous! I have never stayed in such a disgusting, filthy place.

Room Tip: Never go here!
Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank mkgirloh

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Ok. So it's a campground. You have to expect it to be hillbilly. That's part of the experience. But I've stayed at better campgrounds. I don't know if the problem was the week that we went (Memorial Day weekend 2012) or if things are always this bad. Add to the overcrowded conditions the fact that it was 95° all weekend and the staff couldn't seem to keep up with the demands.

We requested a campsite with electricity, the only ones available had absolutely no shade, which was horrible in the unseasonable heat. We tried to make the best of it by going hiking in the woods during the hottest parts of the day and jumping in the nasty overcrowded pool to cool off. The shower situation was horrendous. 8 showers in the whole campground. You had to stand in line for anywhere from 5-20 minutes for a shower. Then, 2 out of the 3 nights we stayed, the water was scalding hot and would barely trickle out. The 3rd night the shower temps and pressure were back to normal, but other campers in general were not happy about the situation. Bathrooms were disgusting, toilets hardly ever were flushed and toilet paper often times out.

All complaints aside, the location was great. The campground is a 1 mile walk from Ash Cave, which was gorgeous! It's very close to the other caves as well but you would be better off driving to them.

The campground has a lot of rules but does little to enforce most of them. It was nice that they were pretty laid-back. Alcohol is permitted, so you don't have to hide it.

I may give this campground another shot but I would not stay for 3 nights again in case it was this bad all the time.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Leahd77

Travelers are raving about these South Bloomingville hotels

Unknown
Reviewed May 28, 2012

This was my e-mail to Top O the Caves Management after my recent stay in their "Acorn Cabin":

My family and I recently rented and stayed in your Acorn Cabin and I have a few suggestions for improving the stay for future residents:

1. Hang a clock.
2. Clean mouse "droppings" out of kitchen cupboards.
3. Fix the back door so it will open and close without extreme force.
4. Also fix the front door so it doesn't squeak every time you open it.
5. Clean out the cobwebs - they're in almost every corner of every room.
6. If the cabin is intended to potentially sleep 10, provide a fridge that would accommodate 10 people...the advertised "full" fridge is misleading. It could definitely be bigger and you have room for a bigger one.
7. Fix the deck - it has multiple holes and is missing railing...that's a huge liability, especially when families staying there have children. The spiral staircase is another huge liability...that's a fall just waiting to happen, for any aged individual.
8. Add some lighting...its ridiculous to have to use flashlights in the downstairs bedrooms in order to find items in the closet and/or someone's luggage.
9. Gee, I don't know - hang a rod or some hooks in the closets so you can hang something!
10. Entering the driveway needs more gravel - the way it is now could damage a vehicle or tires.
11. Lower the rate because that cabin isn't worth it....OR use that money to improve it because it NEEDS it!

Signed,
An Extremely Disappointed Customer

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank HHCamper
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I wanted to stay here for my anniversary with my husband but unfortunately they only allowed one night stays at the cabins; that's fine and that's common. However when I called them to see if we would work something out, the young lady I talked to was not helpful and said I would have to call back the next day (I was trying to set something up so we could tent camp one night and cabin it the next). So, I go ahead and book a primitave camp sight online because that's available to do one night. Another lady calls me back and says that it's not available to do that (even though it said I could online...got my credit card info and everything.) I tried to explain to her what I wanted to do and she kept saying "No honey we can't do that". I asked if they had a lot of campers booked for this weekend and she said they didn't. So, that didn't make sense to me, and everyone I talked to was not helpful and not willing to work with us.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 6, 2011

We stayed over the long weekend, and were told we were in a secluded camp site, when we got there we found we were in a huddle of campsites under the trees, and our campsite was taken. When there was a dispute over sites, the owners did not come down to work it out until long after we figured it out ourselves, and they were not friendly, they didn't even come speak to us. There was a campsite that made noise disturbance until 5:30am in the morning and nothing was done by the campground to maintain "quiet time" or to address the situation until it escalated out of control with a fist fight between the disturbers, and a man who had asked them to please be quiet on account of all the children around. Showers are old, toilets don't work, and owners do not seem accommodating or to care. Pool looked clean, but small and crowded. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Jay208
Rock Creek, Ohio
Reviewed September 5, 2011

My husband and I stayed for (unfortunately) 3 nights; Labor Day Weekend. Location is great. Price was great. We should have just tent camped though, because we paid for electric/water site and 1/2 the time, had neither. This campground has apparently never updated anything since it's opening day. They do not have an adequate power supply so ACs kept shutting off every 5-10 minutes for 2 days. Not too good for the AC huh?! When people complained about the power situation, the only response was, "well, this is a really old campground and some people have 2 ACs and when both are in use, it pulls power from other sites." Really?!? Wow. Why not tell them only one AC can be used...or update your campground. If you can't supply power for your guests, you should not expect happy guests...and there were few. My husband and I just left left early day and returned once it cooled down...to sleep. I would recommend the State Park (which is where we ate everyday). Beautiful place with a lodge and a pool and since it's the state, most likely adequate power supply.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed August 14, 2011

After the fact, I'm reading previous reviews and I have to say that I wouldn't have booked here based on those reviews. However...we camped in our travel trailer and thought the campground was great! We used the campground bathrooms, but showered in our camper, so were not affected by the shower situation. Our kids loved the playground and we really enjoyed our campsite. There is so much to do in the surrounding area that we didn't need to spend a lot of time at the campground, but the kids enjoyed the time we did spend there. I would definitely suggest buying firewood somewhere else, as it was pretty expensive for a small amount of wood.

Room Tip: Buy your firewood at one of the roadside vendors...other than that, enjoy your stay!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls
Cherry Ridge Retreat
Cherry Ridge Retreat
#1 of 3 in New Plymouth

Been to Top of The Caves Campground? Share your experiences!