“Didn't stay, and not pleased with management”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Bloomingville
Top of The Caves Campground
Columbus, Ohio, United States
“Didn't stay, and not pleased with management”
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I wanted to stay here for my anniversary with my husband but unfortunately they only allowed one night stays at the cabins; that's fine and that's common. However when I called them to see if we would work something out, the young lady I talked to was not helpful and said I would have to call back the next day (I was trying to set something up so we could tent camp one night and cabin it the next). So, I go ahead and book a primitave camp sight online because that's available to do one night. Another lady calls me back and says that it's not available to do that (even though it said I could online...got my credit card info and everything.) I tried to explain to her what I wanted to do and she kept saying "No honey we can't do that". I asked if they had a lot of campers booked for this weekend and she said they didn't. So, that didn't make sense to me, and everyone I talked to was not helpful and not willing to work with us.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 6, 2011

We stayed over the long weekend, and were told we were in a secluded camp site, when we got there we found we were in a huddle of campsites under the trees, and our campsite was taken. When there was a dispute over sites, the owners did not come down to work it out until long after we figured it out ourselves, and they were not friendly, they didn't even come speak to us. There was a campsite that made noise disturbance until 5:30am in the morning and nothing was done by the campground to maintain "quiet time" or to address the situation until it escalated out of control with a fist fight between the disturbers, and a man who had asked them to please be quiet on account of all the children around. Showers are old, toilets don't work, and owners do not seem accommodating or to care. Pool looked clean, but small and crowded. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Jay208
Rock Creek, Ohio
Reviewed September 5, 2011

My husband and I stayed for (unfortunately) 3 nights; Labor Day Weekend. Location is great. Price was great. We should have just tent camped though, because we paid for electric/water site and 1/2 the time, had neither. This campground has apparently never updated anything since it's opening day. They do not have an adequate power supply so ACs kept shutting off every 5-10 minutes for 2 days. Not too good for the AC huh?! When people complained about the power situation, the only response was, "well, this is a really old campground and some people have 2 ACs and when both are in use, it pulls power from other sites." Really?!? Wow. Why not tell them only one AC can be used...or update your campground. If you can't supply power for your guests, you should not expect happy guests...and there were few. My husband and I just left left early day and returned once it cooled down...to sleep. I would recommend the State Park (which is where we ate everyday). Beautiful place with a lodge and a pool and since it's the state, most likely adequate power supply.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed August 14, 2011

After the fact, I'm reading previous reviews and I have to say that I wouldn't have booked here based on those reviews. However...we camped in our travel trailer and thought the campground was great! We used the campground bathrooms, but showered in our camper, so were not affected by the shower situation. Our kids loved the playground and we really enjoyed our campsite. There is so much to do in the surrounding area that we didn't need to spend a lot of time at the campground, but the kids enjoyed the time we did spend there. I would definitely suggest buying firewood somewhere else, as it was pretty expensive for a small amount of wood.

Room Tip: Buy your firewood at one of the roadside vendors...other than that, enjoy your stay!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank idanceirish
Columbia City, Indiana
Reviewed July 5, 2011

This is a nice campground as far as the location and the outdoors part is concerned. but that is all I will give them. The rest rooms and showers are built from painted partical board and I think most of us knowthis is not resitant to water which means they are falling apart and rotting. Overall I would say that a MAJOR renovation is needed on any and all things that have water in or around them, we are all 20th century camper and need good clean facilitys to make us want to come back, TOTC must not want me or campers I know to come back. Get it together TOTC. A littel pricey but for the 4th I can excpect that. Their fire wood that they sell wouldn't burn unless you had a rick of kindling or a quart of starting fliud. I would find another campground if you are tent camping unless the remodel of the facilitys take place, RV campers should not have a problem with this if they use what they bring. Pool was clean and relaxing

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rck_bn
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed July 4, 2011

Went camping with my wife, sister and brother in law. and had nothing but problems. The water well ran dry so we had no water for one day, the electric went out one day, the manager of the place bumped into my brother in laws car with a golf cart and tried to take off until we yelled at him to stop. The game room only had a few games. The pool is small crowded with hardly any chairs, the staff was very rude to all of us, no smiles or thank you's. The bathrooms are filthy and you have to pull a dirty string to take a shower. Also one of the bath house showers are closed, so the whole campground has to share one. The put t putt is run down. They charged us for each tent, then added each vehicle, then added each extra person, so we were way over charged. We will never stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay at Old Mans cave.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank kunk200
Bellevue, MI
Reviewed April 14, 2011

We drove our campers from MI to this campground. It is a lovely area (hocking hills) and the campground was EMPTY - so the grounds were pretty under those conditions. Natural beauty with the hills, grass, fish pond, etc. The campground is another story. VERY dirty. Had ducks in laundry room which is attached to the bathrooms so the smell was nauseating. The bathrooms were dirty, water damage, rust damage, and the smell overpowered anyway. Water at our camper rusty to begin with. Mini golf course weedy and 1/2 of the holes were ripped up / broken and unusable. Arcade was not together yet. They claimed it just opened for the season - why not ready (but all other area golf was) etc. and they had no problem taking all of our money up front. Now i know why.
I was disappointed and hope nobody else has to endure the same experience. they did not want to refund (prob. they would be broke as all would want a refund) but gave us some back. Not worth the bother or the headache.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank KaufmannBellevue_MI
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Bloomingville
Holiday Inn Express Logan
Baymont Inn & Suites Logan
The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls

Been to Top of The Caves Campground? Share your experiences!