“Too expensive for me food was ok, expected better”

Grouse Nest Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 25, 2013

For the price I was expecting better food and maybe larger portions. I was disappointed it was just average tasting. We should have stayed in our cabin and grilled and saved money.

1  Thank Sarah W
There are newer reviews for Grouse Nest Restaurant

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We booked the Traveling Chef through this restaurant to come to our cabin to cook for us and I am very happy we did! We ordered the Executive Menu which consisted of Black Tiger Shrimp Cocktail, salads, entrees and dessert. The entrees were 8 oz beef tenderloin with demi glaze sauce, 4 oz baked lobster tail and white truffle whipped potatoes plus veggies. The steaks were the best we had ever had! Our chef cooked them to order and they were the most tender steaks we ever had! He explained their whole process. His name was Andy.

He was very personable and friendly and had funny stories to tell about the area. He timed everything perfectly. We were so stuffed by the end of dinner! We will definitely do this again the next time we are in the area! (There were other nice little perks included which are described on the booking page!)

I highly recommend booking this if you are staying in the area! You will NOT be disappointed! Check out the website - they have different packages available for different prices.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

My husband and I were staying in Hocking Hills for our anniversary. We chose to have our anniversary dinner here. While we were doing a little shopping I thought maybe I should make reservations. When I called(4:30pm) I was told we should come right away because they had reservations for a big crowd(14) coming at 6. So we stopped shopping (of course I wasn't done) and headed there. When we got there no one else was there. It was empty! We were the only ones. You could see where the "crowd" was going to be seated in another room. But in the main dining area there was no-one! Finally about 5:45 a family came in. That was it! The waitresses were polite but not overly friendly. The food was good but not exceptional... especially for the price! Was it terrible? NO Would we return? NO

1  Thank KathyGreenSprings_Oh
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We had dinner on a Sunday night. The meal was fantastic - the service excellent. The bonus is that you can use their WiFi connection before dinner to catch up on emails and the world.
As with many places in Hocking Hills the drive to the restaurant is best for 4 wheel vehicles....The grounds around the restaurant which is part of a small resort, are charming.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We read great reviews on this restaurant in the magazine they gave us when we checked in for camping at Hocking Hills. This appeared to be the nicest restaurant around. It took us a good 30 minutes to find this place; thankfully we had a paper map since there is NO CELL service w/in 10 miles of Hocking Hills State Park. We tried calling from a pay phone 3x during the day to make reservations but no one answered their phone. The drive way up to this place is a nightmare! We drive a little PT Cruiser and it almost slid down the stones going up. It's very sad. Finally 10 minutes up the drive-way we made it. We walk in and there are NINE empty tables, no one says hello... wait wait wait, finally the chef (?) comes out and is very friendly asking if we had reservations. We did not because no one answered the phone all day, but just simply said no. He said he was sorry but we'd have to wait 2 hours to get a table. What?! It's 6:30 and there are literally NINE open tables. I get there were pry that many reservations for 7pm, but it was SO nice out & there were seats outside, can't we sit out there? Garbage. He took our name for the 8:30 spot, but we just left. We were so upset. Beyond hungry, we left.

1  Thank heatheranne1234

Been to Grouse Nest Restaurant? Share your experiences!