“Average on all counts”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Solon
Chicago, Illinois
“Average on all counts”
Reviewed August 1, 2011

We stayed here for one night on our way from New York back home, arriving on July 30 and checking out on July 31.

First, the positives:
* The evening from desk clerk was super nice.
* The rooms are recently remodeled and look very nice.
* The common areas appear clean.
* The rooms are typical Springhill Suites and are therefore quite large. We had two doubles plus a pull out couch, and had lots of room to walk around.
* The sink is outside of the toilet/tub area which makes getting ready easier when you have several people in the room.
* The kitchen area (fridge and microwave) includes a sink (with a dish towel) and some cabinets for storing food.
* Our room was quiet.

The not so good:
* There was a bunch of soap scum on the shelf in the tub area. I mean visible soap from a previous guest who had probably set the bar of soap on that shelf. There was a ring in the toilet. This leads me to believe that housekeeping could be more attentive.
* The pool was out of towels. The workout room was out of towels.
* In the morning, the breakfast area was a disaster. There was only one worker restocking, and she simply could not keep up (though she tried). Also, there is only one toaster and one waffle maker. As a result, there were long waits at these spots.
* The quality of the breakfast was mediocre. I've been to enough Marriott properties to see the patterns (they all have the same types of cereal and muffins for instance). But this one was not as good as other places we've been. The scrambled eggs were powdered and basically inedible (according to my husband). The tea I had tasted of coffee, I assume because the hot water container sometimes holds coffee. There was no hot chocolate (or at least none that I could find). There were unappealing half gallon and gallon jugs of milk sitting in a bowl of ice on the counter for guests to use for their cereal.
* The clerk at the front desk on Sunday morning when we were checking out was not very helpful.

If you are passing through and get a good rate, this place is decent enough, but there is room for improvement.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ProfandMom
pkeeven, Manager at SpringHill Suites Cleveland Solon, responded to this review, August 9, 2011
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Springhill Suites. It is great to hear that you found the staff to be friendly, hotel quiet and rooms spacious and comfortable. In regards to housekeeping, please accept my apology for the room not being cleaned to standard. Your comments have been shared with the housekeeping staff to prevent future occurrence. To ensure a great breakfast experience, we have instructed our staff to call for management when they have an large group arrive at once to faciliate an enjoyable breakfast experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 18, 2011

We stayed in mid-June 2011, six weeks after they finished a major remodel. So any reviews prior to May 2011 might be less relevant today.

The place really looks spiffy, with a clean, modern theme. They had some competent contractors doing the work as it's top-notch quality. The staff sure like the result; they love to brag about it and are always doing the extra bit to keep it clean and well-maintained. It's obviously been good for morale, as everyone seems very cheerful.

That's all very well and good, but I think they need to choose a different architect next time. Some of the things are just dumb. For example, there's a grab bar in the shower/tub. But it's at the end where the plumbing fixtures are, right beside the toilet. It's impossible to get in and out there, and if you actually used the bath, you'd be facing the other way. So there's a grab bar where it's useless but none where it would be very handy.

But the real complaint is the layout. Springhill Suites boasts larger rooms. Well, perhaps they are larger in square footage but it's so chopped up and awkwardly done it actually feels quite small. I'll bet it looked good on the drawings and at first glance, but nobody stayed in such a room to feel it out. It's the same in the breakfast area. There's a semi-circular wall that looks snazzy from across the room, but it makes it very awkward to get by to the food. And you have to go back around to the main lobby area to get coffee. The circular tables are very inefficient, making it tough to get by.

As for breakfast itself, it was well-maintained but really rather meager and disappointing.

Springhill Suites touts itself as a step up from Fairfield Inns. This is the first time for us in Springhill, but frankly, we think Fairfield is better value for the money.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lucky_Eddie
Sayreville, New Jersey
Reviewed April 6, 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights and I have no complaints. The rooms were very clean and the staff was great. Location was perfect for my needs and close to everything I needed. The pool and sauna was great and I did get to use them with the kids and was not crowded.

The only thing I did not like was the breakfast. It was OK, I just decided to eat out.
I would stay here again when I am in Cleveland/Solon area.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
ccarbau1
Reviewed October 14, 2010

We booked two nights in this hotel and were very happy with our stay. The only issue we had was a wedding was booked while we were there. We understand that this was a happy occasion but at 1 in the morning when they started racing a wheelchair up the hall we had to call the front desk. They sent security very quickly and handled it well. We hated to be party crashers but we had to get up early. Other than that our stay was wonderful. The rooms were not your typical layout which made for a nice stay. The couch was seperate from the bedroom and the tv swiveled in the middle which was nice. Kitchen was well equipped and clean as well.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed October 10, 2010

As a side trip when visiting Cleveland, we stayed at the Springhill Suites in Solon after a day of shopping at the Aurora Farms Premium Outlets. We booked the AAA/CAA rate of only $84/night, which included free breakfast.

In hindsight, we probably would have stayed closer to Beachwood, but having not been there before we didn't realize that this this hotel was in more of a corporate location. However, the staff were incredibly friendly, the hotel was clean, and the room was really cozy. It was also really quiet and the bed was really comfortable.

The free Wi Fi was great, and the complimentary breakfast had a nice variety of healthy foods (yogurt, oatmeal and fruit), along with the usual pancakes and sausage, etc.

Solon is a great place, the people were friendly and there were some good restaurants. If you're ever heading to Solon, make sure to eat at Station 43.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed August 17, 2010

My extended family booked this hotel as our "home base" for a family reunion in August 2010. We booked 6 rooms in total. Overall, we had a very pleasant experience. The rooms were clean and updated. The refrigerator, microwave and bar sink were welcome conveniences in the room. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. Only drawback was the fact that our rear-facing room was close enough to the nearby warehouses to hear loud idling trucks and machines during the weekday mornings, starting very early in the morning. This actually vibrated the windows on our room and made it difficult to sleep past 7am.

My husband and I stayed in a King bed room, which was a spacious size for us. My parents stayed in a 2-queen bed room, which had a more awkward layout and the sitting area furniture was crammed into a smaller space. Obviously, nothing can be done with the layout of the walls, but a space planner may be able to rearrange the furniture in some of these rooms to make them less cramped.

One thing that stunned me was seeing signs around town that said "Solon Recycles" but there were absolutely no recycling receptacles at the hotel. I specifically asked about this at the front desk when I brought down a small bag of water bottles and soda cans. This is unacceptable in this day and age. Understandable if there is not enough room in the bedrooms to put bins, but at least offer recycling bins in the lobby for plastic and aluminum.
The breakfast is fine; however, the exact same items are put out every day, so it gets tiresome after a couple of days. I was there for 4 breakfasts. It would have been nice to see more fresh fruit, other than just apples and bananas, on occasion. Also, it was convenient to have 2 computers in the business center to use as needed; however, the connection was very slow and frustrating. Additionally, I heard 2 different hotel guests complain about the wireless internet not working on 2 separate days.

Otherwise, I found the staff to be very helpful and accommodating. My family often used the lobby as a place to congregate and relax and we were encouraged by the staff to do so. The location was convenient to both the highways and local attractions. I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed August 15, 2010

Stayed for two nights with the wife & three teenagers. We picked this hotel because of its central location to family and activities around Cleveland, the availability of a room with two beds + sofabed for the teens and it was right down the street from the Solon Commons Cinema. Very nice place - they gave us adjoining rooms and both were clean and quiet. The usual breakfast in the lobby and a decent indoor pool and hot tub. Ideal for our visit.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Solon
Hampton Inn Cleveland Solon
Homewood Suites by Hilton Cleveland-Solon
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Oakwood Village
Hampton Inn & Suites Cleveland-Beachwood
La Quinta Inn & Suites Cleveland Macedonia
Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland/Twinsburg

Been to SpringHill Suites Cleveland Solon? Share your experiences!