“I think it is slipping” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Homewood Suites by Hilton Cleveland-Solon

Homewood Suites by Hilton Cleveland-Solon
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Solon
Atlanta, Georgia
“I think it is slipping”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

We have stayed here several times when we came back to visit family in the Cleveland area. I don't know whether the stellar experiences we've had in the past raised the bar in what I expected this time or what but I am feeling let down this time. So you can appreciate where I'm coming from, my past experiences were such that one time in advance of our visit I was debating whether we should bring the General Manager flowers. It really was that special.

We are here on a four night visit. The room is fine, basically what you would expect in a newer Homewood Suites. Everything is okay, but it is not how TripAdvisor's 4 point rating "very good". Mostly our experience has lacked attention to detail I would have expected. Here are some examples:

- We added a note to our reward points reservation that we would pay $$ for a 2 bedroom unit if it were available. I don't fault the hotel for not giving us one, but the young lady who checked us in never even mentioned it to us.
- The front desk was staffed by only one person every time I looked, even in busy periods. I had to wait for help every time I was looking for something except one.
- Seems like they changed the deposit policy somehow and people are really upset about it. I don't understand what it is but they now make you sign something when you check in (I guess I should have read it!)
- Housekeeping was really below average. We only let them clean the room once, and they did not restock paper products, empty the dishwasher or do anything with the pile of dirty linens we put on the floor for them (yes, I mean that literally we took dirty linens from the sleeper sofa and piled them in a heap next tot he door and they didn't even move them).
- When we got to our room there were still dirty dishes in the dishwasher.
- Breakfast foods, which I remembered to be extraordinary, were highly variable. No hotel wanting a four star rating or above should be serving the frozen egg food patties claiming to be omelets. Sometimes the food was great. Others it was disappointing. Today (Monday) the bacon was terrific but other days it (or the sausage) was plain old bad. The one saving grace for breakfast is the waffle station with whipped cream and fresh fruit - very nice touch.
- Front desk staff did not seem aware of little things you would tihnk they'd know. For example, there are flyers on the front desk for a restaurant. The GM of the restaurant has the same last name as the GM for the hotel. I asked about the relationship and they had no idea. Listen, if you are going to put collateral at the front desk the personnel there should know something about it.

It could be that three stars is too low. If there was a 3 1/2 option I would have chosen it. The location is okay. It's right across from a terrific Chinese restaurant (Hunan of Solon). The staff is friendly, if overworked. Of course it's great to have a mini-kitchen in the hotel room.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms ending in 16 or 18 as they are next to the dumpster and the trash guy may wake you up.
Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Homewoodsolon, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Cleveland-Solon, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay with us at the Homewood Suites Cleveland/Solon. I understand that you encountered an opportunity with the cleanliness of your guest room, I sincerely apologize for this. This is one of the area's that we are very vigilant in to ensure comfort and satisfaction for our guests. I'm so sorry that we were unable to meet expectations and based upon your review I am actively participating with our housekeeping staff to ensure this does not happen again. We also regret that you did not have a consistent dining experience at the hotel. We are constantly working to improve our menu items and appreciate the feedback. I hope that if you travels bring you back to Solon that you will consider staying with us again. Thank you again, I appreciate your honest feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2011

Very Friendly staff, from the front desk manager, to the breakfast lady (who was simply fabulous - very friendly and accomodating.)

The room was a typical homewood suite - ie one bedroom with sleeper sofa and small kitchenette - although instead of having a regular door between bedroom and living room it had a strange bifold door that did not close properly.

Swimming pool was nice. Breakfast was typical.

I would stay here again if ever the need arises.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Nashville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2011

After my wife had unexpected heart bypass surgery at the Five-Star Cleveland Clinic, and a very uncomfortable, un-air-conditioned stay for 12 days at the Intercontinental Suites on the clinic campus, we aborted our plan to stay another night there and moved to the Homewood Suites in Solon, about 30 minutes away, where we had stayed before. We paid the AAA rate of 100.80 + $16.38 in taxes, and stayed in a king bed “accessible” studio suite. On a previous 4-night stay to visit family in October 2010, we stayed in a king bed one bedroom suite at the same hotel for $102 + $15.56 in taxes, but none were available on this trip due to the last minute circumstances. We were just happy to get a cool night’s rest some 8 nights after my wife had undergone major surgery.

This review will apply to both stays. Each room was cool, clean, well appointed, and comfortable. Both king beds were clean and comfortable as well. The one bedroom layout was larger than the studio, but the “accessible” studio was also pretty big - and the bathroom was oversized. Both had small but adequate kitchenettes. The hotel itself is located in a lightly traveled, relatively new business park area near the end of a cul-de-sac off of Aurora Road (SR 43), with a Hampton Inn on the same street. Families with children should feel comfortable here. There is a Longhorn steakhouse nearby with pretty good food and a good bar. There is also a KFC and a Mexican restaurant on the same street, and a multiplex theater complex next door.

The staff was friendly and accommodating during both stays, and the complimentary breakfast was as good as any complimentary breakfast I have had in any hotel. In October they served a different variety of hot dishes each day, as I assume they still do. Each day the hot food was plentiful and good.

On average, I stay in hotels/motels about 30-40 nights per year. I try to pick AAA 3 diamond rooms or better. It is hard to fine a room as nice as this in any area under $100 anymore, so the price seemed fair to me. We were very happy to get a cool room in a nice facility after spending twice as much per night at the Intercontinental Suites with no breakfast, no parking and no air conditioning.

My experience has been that Homewood Suites in general offer spacious rooms with a complimentary hot breakfast and free parking for all guests at a reasonable price. Consequently, I try to find one wherever I travel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2011

Hotel check in was fine. Room was great size (booked a one bedroom 2 bed suite.) Pretty expensive for what's in the area) Bathroom could have been much cleaner, there was dirt around the floor tub surround, they need to scrub around the tub corners on the floor. Did not like the light outside the bedroom, keeps you up if you are a light sleeper as you are unable to close the curtain. You can oly close the sheers. Then you have daylight break thru and this also disrupted sleep. Now the main part of why I would never stay again.. I booked thru Expedia, Experdai was great! When arrived the front desk clerk asked for my credit card stating, that it would ONLY BE CHARGED IF THERE WERE INCIDENTALS..well looked at banking statement, and they took $50.00 out of my checking account even though we did not break or destroy anything. Now after speaking with the manager she informed me this is the practcie , but that no money had been taken out, just put aside by my bank. Well when the BANKING statement says the money was withdrawn, and a phone call to the bank reveals the money has been taken out..guess what the MONEY IS GONE!~ So now i have to wait a few days for that money to be returned to me, maybe up to seven days according to the hotel manager. They need to make this cl;ear at check in, not just take the liberty of telling you one thing, and the next minute your money is gone. I would have to get a discount to ever stay at one of these properties again for all this confusion.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank wentonvaca
Homewoodsolon, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Cleveland-Solon, responded to this review, June 8, 2011
Thank you for your comments. I do apologize for the misunderstanding. We do our best to be upfront with our guests about all charges and authorizations. I will speak with the front desk and make sure they advise future guests to read the debit/credit card information provided on the registration card upon check in so there is no confusion to the authorization process and the release timeframe of unused funds. I also appreciate your feedback about the room as it helps us to improve our guest experience. Please feel free to reach out to me with any additional concerns. Thank you.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2011

This was a nice extended stay hotel. The rooms were nicely updated with flat screen television in both the bedroom and the lliving room. The living room area television also has a DVD player. Bathrooms and kitchen was adequately supplied and very clean. The hotel is located near a movie theatre and several eating establishments. I would use this facility again for a future stay.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2011

This is a well furnished hotel situated near downtown Cleveland. The hotel is located at the end of a cul de sac which helps with ensuring the safety of the parked cars. There's another hotel located nearby but it's separated from this one by a small pond. There's also a nearby Taco Bell and a gas station. Access to the highways is convenient.

The rooms were nicely updated with flat screen TVs on both bedrooms and a flat screen TV and DVD player in the living room. We were assigned to a handicapped suite so there was room everywhere as well as lower closet rails for the children. The beds and pillows were firm and sleeping through the night was a delight. Bathrooms and kitchen was adequately supplied, although we did not have any hand washing or dishwasher detergent in our suite. The icemaker was also not turned on and by the time I noticed it, it was too late.

There are 2 elevators in the hotel and once you have gotten a sense of where your room is located, you can plan the shortest route to your room. The laundry are is only on the 2nd floor.The vending machines and ice machines are only on the 3rd and 4th floor. There is a medium sized lobby, seating area and newspaper are furnished everyday.The gym had 4 machines with personal TVs as well as a flat screen TV, free weights, exercise balls, core stabilization ball and a water dispenser. It's located right by the swimming pool so you can work out while other family members can swim. The breakfast and dinner (from Mondays to Thursdays) was adequate and there appeared to be adequate seating. There appeared to be a patio with a grill but since it was snowing when we were there it was not used. I will definitely stay in this Homewood Suites branch next time I'm in Cleveland.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Big_bro_1_usa
Cleveland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2011

The staff was overly accomodating. Rooms was clean and bed was very comfortable. What else can you ask for?

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Solon
Hampton Inn Cleveland Solon
Aloft Beachwood
#3 of 15 in Beachwood
Hampton Inn & Suites Cleveland-Beachwood
Homewood Suites Cleveland-Beachwood

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Cleveland-Solon? Share your experiences!