We have stayed here several times when we came back to visit family in the Cleveland area. I don't know whether the stellar experiences we've had in the past raised the bar in what I expected this time or what but I am feeling let down this time. So you can appreciate where I'm coming from, my past experiences were such that one time in advance of our visit I was debating whether we should bring the General Manager flowers. It really was that special.
We are here on a four night visit. The room is fine, basically what you would expect in a newer Homewood Suites. Everything is okay, but it is not how TripAdvisor's 4 point rating "very good". Mostly our experience has lacked attention to detail I would have expected. Here are some examples:
- We added a note to our reward points reservation that we would pay $$ for a 2 bedroom unit if it were available. I don't fault the hotel for not giving us one, but the young lady who checked us in never even mentioned it to us.
- The front desk was staffed by only one person every time I looked, even in busy periods. I had to wait for help every time I was looking for something except one.
- Seems like they changed the deposit policy somehow and people are really upset about it. I don't understand what it is but they now make you sign something when you check in (I guess I should have read it!)
- Housekeeping was really below average. We only let them clean the room once, and they did not restock paper products, empty the dishwasher or do anything with the pile of dirty linens we put on the floor for them (yes, I mean that literally we took dirty linens from the sleeper sofa and piled them in a heap next tot he door and they didn't even move them).
- When we got to our room there were still dirty dishes in the dishwasher.
- Breakfast foods, which I remembered to be extraordinary, were highly variable. No hotel wanting a four star rating or above should be serving the frozen egg food patties claiming to be omelets. Sometimes the food was great. Others it was disappointing. Today (Monday) the bacon was terrific but other days it (or the sausage) was plain old bad. The one saving grace for breakfast is the waffle station with whipped cream and fresh fruit - very nice touch.
- Front desk staff did not seem aware of little things you would tihnk they'd know. For example, there are flyers on the front desk for a restaurant. The GM of the restaurant has the same last name as the GM for the hotel. I asked about the relationship and they had no idea. Listen, if you are going to put collateral at the front desk the personnel there should know something about it.
It could be that three stars is too low. If there was a 3 1/2 option I would have chosen it. The location is okay. It's right across from a terrific Chinese restaurant (Hunan of Solon). The staff is friendly, if overworked. Of course it's great to have a mini-kitchen in the hotel room.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Relax and recharge at the Homewood Suites by Hilton® Cleveland-Solon hotel. Located in the heart of Solon, our all-suite Solon hotel is close to local businesses, shopping, and attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Hotels.com, Orbitz and Priceline so you can book your Homewood Suites by Hilton Cleveland-Solon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Homewood Suites Solon Hotel Solon
- Homewood Solon
- Solon Homewood Suites
- Homewood Suites By Hilton Cleveland-Solon Ohio