“It is time to "paint" The Barn”
Review of The Barn

The Barn
Ranked #2 of 6 Restaurants in Smithville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed September 30, 2013

At least once a year we drive over to meet relatives for dinner as it is a "half-way" spot for both of us. We decided to have the buffet. Our server was very good and they allowed us to bring a birthday cake in for a celebration. There was a nice variety on the buffet and the salad part is always the best, but it is time to "paint the Barn". I noticed this year how the decor really needs an update. The carpeting is worn, and didn't look very clean. The restrooms need to be refreshed, as the wallpaper downstairs is falling off. It looks old. The grounds are quite pretty and the ladies working the corn maze were very nice.

2  Thank Gobucks79
There are newer reviews for The Barn

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Nice atmosphere if you like the rustic, barnlike decor. Food was just average. I ordered the roast beef dinner (which was on special that day), and it was shredded roast beef (very salty) with instant mashed potatoes. They weren't real mashed potatoes--I know the difference. They were watery and grainy. The people with me ordered the salad/soup bar, which looked good (wish I had ordered that instead). Prices weren't bad, but it's not worth an extra trip to Smithville.

1  Thank mlmusic519
Reviewed July 21, 2013

The Barn is a beautiful, er, barn located in Smithville, Ohio. It has great grounds, a beautiful lake and a nice little set of shops of to the side, but the food is average at best. I was disappointed by the fare in the restaurant. It tastes like it all came out of a can and I bet most of it does.

1  Thank chrisajr
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We went out to take a ride into the country and we looked this place up online. All I can say it get the soup and salad bar and forget the rest. The cooks cant cook. My girlfriend had the Soup and salad bar I had the Cheese steak and an order of breaded mushrooms. They were the strongest tasting and the greasiest breading ever ever ever. The waitresses were all hung over and sleep walking their jobs. The place needs to pipe in some country music. They should use the space to have a family and kids section and let the adults and single people sit in another section. Especially when parents don't tell their kids to be still and be quiet. Put all the families with their bad kids in their own section. The loft looked like it could be a good time but you have to come down steps to get the food. Move a little buffet up to the loft for the parties. Nice location farm with a lake and a deck to feed the ducks and geese. nice little shop next door with candies and cheeses and fruit and dry goods. Stick with the salad bar and stay off the main menu is my best advice. You'll notice that when you go there that everyone gets the salad wagon and nobody get anything off the menu except me the dummy. Ive learned my lesson. This place could be great if they had better cooks and a better menu and different sections to split the guests. Children and families on one side. Adult groups and couples on the other. They have plenty of seating for that.

3  Thank Matt B
Reviewed June 17, 2013

The Barn is a unique place located in a small town just outside of a rural area. The Barn plays up the hometown country setting with a beautiful location. The Barn offers two types of meals; a sit down restaurant and a buffet service. The buffet is only Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I am only able to review the buffet portion of the facility. We visited on Fathers Day, looking for a nice setting to enjoy an afternoon lunch. What a mistake. I have never ate at a restaurant where the previous days food was served. My family was the second group to be seated. So my review and comments about old food cannot be dismissed as if a tremendous amount of traffic came through the buffet lines before me. The restaurant opens at 11:00 a.m.; 15 minutes later I am walking through the line; I should have left then. The bread trays were picked through, obviously no one in front of me took bread. Next to the bread was the desserts; various trays of cakes half gone. Salad bar, large and capable of looking great had a half bowl of wilted lettuce with brown edges and the crocks were half empty. Chocolate pudding crock was near the bottom with pudding hardened on the sides. Main course was the worst. Cornbread dressing; dry and hard. Meatloaf so hard my wife could not poke it with a fork; instant mashed potatoes were bland and gravy came from cans :(

Cut up sausage stewing in water and salisbury steak which was a dried out hamburger soaked in cheap gravy.

When I pulled in I truly expected more; again a beautiful location and atmosphere. But $14.95 for a buffet with horrible food is unacceptable. I have to believe the food served on Friday is fresh but the leftovers on Sunday to save money is not good. Management should have known this past weekend being Fathers Day was a wonderful opportunity to shine. They dropped the ball and lost future business.

As we left we looked in the dining room portion and had wished we had chose to eat there instead.

I would not recommend the buffet to anyone. Maybe you will have better luck in the dining room.

3  Thank Dennis M

Been to The Barn? Share your experiences!