“A Unique Experience”

Ranked #1 of 23 Restaurants in Sharonville
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: The Root Beer Stand has been a close-knit family operation from day one and remains so today. As a matter of fact, both of our main cooks met the men they married while working at The Stand. They were carhops back in the 60's, and still enjoy the fast-paced work. And the root beer.
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Nothing else like it in Cincinnati. A 1950's root beer stand still around in 2012. Quite an anachronism. It is a unique experience to visit and the food is good.

Once, long ago, there were many such "stands." You ate in your car. Waitresses came to the car and took the order. Food was delivered on a tray which attached to your car window. It was a "drive-in". I do not know of any in this area which still operate in this way. The Root Beer Stand was apparently an A&W root beer concession once, but is now independent. There are fifteen or so stools at a single counter inside. It is a small space, usually packed. The decor consists of hundreds baseball caps, from many different locations, hanging from the ceiling.

I have eaten at the Root Beer Stand many times. I have only ordered the hot dogs, either foot long or the small regular size. They are steamed and served on a bun either plain or with sauerkraut, grated cheese, onions and chili (any or all). Mouthwatering. They remind me of the hot dogs at baseball games, but even better. The root beer is home made, served in iced mugs and delicious (even though it contains caffeine). It is hard to drink just one mug.

Put on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, loosen up and relax. Go to the Root Beer Stand and enjoy a few chili dogs and root beer.

1  Thank DoctorPaul

Reviewed July 9, 2012

We were visiting Cincy and I wanted to try some local places not affiliated with national chains. My kids have always loved root beer floats so we decided to try the Root Bear Stand. We loved it! We all ordered the floats along with foot-long chili dogs and everything was excellent. We also got a 1/2 gallon each of the homemade root beer and orange to go. Prices are very reasonable.

It is cramped inside with tall stools around a counter that surrounds the kitchen. It adds to the experience. Some reviewers have called the building a dump but I see it as slice of Americana that hasn't been sanitized, suburbunized, and made boring...

Reviewed May 10, 2012

I am from Sharonville Ohio and moved to KY when I was 16 every time I come back to Sharonville I come when the Root Beer Stand is open for business so I can get a float!! YUMMY

Reviewed April 2, 2012

Good root beer, but that's about it. Food it not good at all, the place is a dump....but root beer is good, just get it to go.

TheRootBeerStand, Owner at The Root Beer Stand, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

First off I'd like to say thanks for coming by! I'm glad you enjoyed the root beer. I'm sorry you weren't impressed by your meal. We try very hard to make sure every customer has a great experience with us. Hopefully you'll come back and give us another shot!

As for your description of our facility, I'll have to respectfully disagree. We've been open since 1957, so yes our building is rather old, but we are very dedicated to keeping it clean. We've continually aced our health inspections. Our building may look old, but that's part of the good ole old fashion charm of The Root Beer Stand.

Thanks for your feedback

Reviewed March 27, 2012

A true A&W Root Beer stand in place since the 50's, but now without the A&W name. They make their own root beer on-site, and it is wonderful!! Options available are counter or outdoor picnic are seating. No car service, although it appears there once may have been. Best chili cheese dog in the 'nati!