“Basic, Some Good, Some Bad” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of America's Best Value Inn Sandusky

America's Best Value Inn Sandusky
Ranked #31 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Illinois
“Basic, Some Good, Some Bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

Seeing others comment on the cleanliness...I see we weren't alone in our assessment. The janitorial staff needs to be retrained...towels on floor means to replace such...NOT give unfilled so only one hand and one bath towel remain. DEF did not vacuum floor.

Pool is outdoor and when we went out there at 10PM...pool and surrounding areas was dark...pool was filled with people I couldn't see...and the abandoned shopping cart in the area made us say forget it.

Really, the most basic and bland continental breakfast ever had in a hotel. Just coffee and danish. No fruit, no cereal, no juices/milk. Taught us a lesson to ask EXACTLY what is put out. Also noticed that after we hit it pretty hard (family of four) it didn't get refilled...so next guest kinda out of luck.

Above said, the front desk staff was great in terms of handling a reservation aspect.

So, for for price and location to Cedar Point, I'd sum up as place to sleep and don't expect much more.

Oh...for mgt there...you might want to think about offering a buffet breakfast in the roadhouse restaurant. We and other families def left and went down street to Perkins and other places.

Room Tip: Ask to NOT face the expressway...it wasn't that bad but still...when traveling, any usual noise...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at America's Best Value Inn Sandusky, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to relate your recent stay with us at our hotel. I'm happy to hear that the staff was attentive to your needs and friendly. We are actively working to better train our housekeeping staff and to improve their productivity and outcomes. Also, please undestand that the small continental breakfast that we offer is a courtesy to our guests--it is not a brand requirement AT ALL of ABVI. Thank you again for your comments. We hope you give us another try in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Lawrenceburg, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

My family and I Stayed here this past weekend looking at the lobby it looks to be a very nice hotel but after you leave the lobby the rest was awful, we could not wait to leave if hadn't been getting charged a fee we would have. The room was very nasty and looked to have not been cleaned ever. The blankets looked to have urine stained on them and The smell threw out the hotel were horrible. The staff was very nice and couldnt bet the price but think i will pay more next time for a comfortable stay then to ever stay at an America Best again.....

2 Thank kimberly B
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our property. I am dishearrtened that your stay didn't meet (or exceed) your expectations. Although this property is aimed toward the budget-conscience consumer, we DO provide a clean, safe environment for all of our guests. Also, for those of you reading this review, we do NOT make it a policy or practice to "take hostages." If someone is not pleased with the accommodations, we first immediately try to resolve any problem; if we can't, we always allow the guest the option to get out of their reservation without penalty. At any rate, thank you for your comments; please take the opportunity to stay with us again in the future. We KNOW you'll see consistent and constant improvements.

Travelers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

Shenandoah, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

I find that a lot of the reviews on here are a little bit too ridiculous. Are you really expecting a five-star hotel? I read all the reviews before I got here and I still disregarded them and gave this place a shot. Damn, people can be so picky. The lobby is pretty, the service was very friendly, and the room was well kept. Nothing special or fancy but it's a Value Inn, people!!! No bugs, no dirtyness or anything of that sort. The only thing I have to complain about is the shower went from hot to cold whenever it felt like it but I can put that aside and still be happy. The place is about 15 minutes from Cedar Point. Highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at America's Best Value Inn Sandusky, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Thanks for your recent review of our hotel property. I'm glad that you found the majority of the amenities up to standards and that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to welcome you back during a future visit to our area. Thank you SO much for your recommendation!
Lake Linden, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

I have travelled to Sandusky from Northern Michigan 6 times in the last two summers as my daughter has been working at Cedar Point. This last time, I needed to get her and bring her back, so I came by myself. It was going to be a quick trip, arriving late Sunday and returning on Monday, so I checked for a cheaper place to stay. While the recent reviews of this place were not good, the price was right ($68-which included tax) so I booked it.

We had actually eaten at the Roadhouse restaurant in the hotel earlier in the summer and enjoyed it. The lobby of the hotel caught my attention at that time as it was old fashioned with dark wood and shiny floors. The hotel beyond the lobby and restaurant is old and in need of some repair, but the corridors are wide and the rooms somewhat large.

It was a very hot evening when my daughter and I arrived, and while the air conditioning was not on in the room when we went in, it cooled down rapidly. The front desk was very friendly and professional both at check in and when we checked out. We did use the WiFY in the room without issues and found the beds to be comfortable, bathrooms adequate and rooms clean. I had read concerns about the breakfast on Trip Advisor so we were not planning on having it here, and it was what people have reported, rolls and coffee in the lobby. But they did have lids for their coffee cups, which I thought was a nice touch, so we grabbed a couple to go as we were leaving.

Would definitely stay here again under these circumstances.

1 Thank CrSun
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at America's Best Value Inn Sandusky, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at our hotel. We hope you choose to stay with us again if your travels bring you to our area in the future! Safe travels!
Bear, Delaware
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

I arrived 1am ish (after and 8.5 hour drive) The attendant was away from the desk and I waited approximately 5-9 minutes for him to return. He was very upbeat for the time of night and he made me feel welcome. I wasn't sure I was even at the right hotel being from out of town the only sign stating ABVI was close to the road.

The bathroom toilet was filthy. There was hair on the floor. The carpets were not vacuumed. The night stand had some sticky mess on it. Enough to gross you out completely. They say there is wireless Internet , maybe in the lobby but as soon as I got to my room the signal went dead. I informed the desk clerk and she said she would try to reset the router that was in another room but it was too early in the morning (8:30 a.m.)for her to disrupt the room. I have no idea is she even tried and here I sit in the lobby writing this review.

Warning spend the extra bucks to go to a more reputable hotel!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sue B
Thank you for relating your experiences during your recent stay at our hotel. What you experienced is NOT what we would expect or want for any of our guests. As we continue to train our staff to provide outstanding customer service, your comments will aide in that process. Please consider this an isolated incident as customer service really is our number one priority!
Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

My husband and I booked this place a few weeks ago due to the affordable rate and its close proximity to the Ohio Turnpike and Cedar Point. We were a little nervous reading some of the reviews after we booked. However, we were impressed that the GM has commented on virtually all of the reviews, both good and bad. To us, it meant that the GM is active in stating what this place is, but has also acknowledged suggestions on improvement. Impressive.

In our opinion, this is a great place to stay, at least for one night after an active, tiring day at Cedar Point.

First of all, the staff that we encountered were just stellar. We checked in at @ 9:30 pm on Saturday, July 14th. We were quite exhausted after a full day at Cedar Point. John at the front desk offered us a smile, a speedy check-in, and delightful chit-chat. A simple smile or simple courtesy can so such a long way. John made us feel welcomed immediately. What a wonderful first impression.

We checked into room 139. We found both the room and bathroom tidy. We checked for bedbugs. (I had a horrible encounter with them at a higher class place in Oct of 20011). The mattresses were pristine. (tiny black 'Sharpie" marks means there are bugs, I found this out the hard way). There was some dust on the vent over the shower. I'm pretty casual, so I did not find this as offensive. I dampened a washcloth and wiped the vent. Problem solved. I've stayed at higher-'class' places and witnessed the same thing. I've had a family member and a friend that has done and is currently a housekeeper at a hotel. I understand that staffs (especially at budget places) are short, and they have a minimal amount of time in each room to clean. I understand that their cleaning time gets shortened if they have to clean a room or multiple rooms where there was a lot of 'partying' going on. Thus, some detail work may have to get overlooked from time to time.

The furniture in the rooms is not new, though neither is mine at my own home. This should mean close to nothing for anyone who just wants a decent night's sleep. The TV was large and worked well. The air conditioner was cranked, so it was welcomed after a hot, humid day at Cedar Point. We had to turn it down, but thought that it was lovely that we didn't enter a furnace, and had to wait for the a/c to kick in.

We did notice that there were no official 'mattress pads' on the mattress. There is a very thin unfitted one, like a large towel. So, if one is accostomed or expects to be floating on a cloud, or pillowtop, do not book here and complain. I did feel the 'bumps' in the mattress, but, it was comfortable enough for my tired bones that evening, and I slept a comfortable 9 hours. The pillows are marked 'soft" and "firm,' though both of us could not tell the difference. All seem to be thin, firm and 'unfluffable.' Nothing that we haven't seen at other budget places. We doubled them, and slept soundly. Just a word to road travellers - you won't be sorry if you have enough room to pack your favorite pillow, as I see in airports.

I woke on Sunday at 10 am, ready for free coffee. Five minutes later, I couldn't wait to get two nice cups of coffee, and maybe a muffin or two, as I heard that's what's available. I entered the lobby, and Latora was cleaning up the coffee station, which apparently closes at 10. Latora was EXTREMELY NICE AND ACCOMMODATING. She put cups and sugar out for me, asking if I needed anything else, but apologizing that they were out of creamer for the coffee. I know this wasn't her fault, so i did not complain, I was just so thankful she was so nice. She could have just told me "it's closed." Instead, she went beyond and made sure we got something. AWESOME!

Latora was also the one who checked us out quickly, with professionalism and a smile. Again, that goes such a long way.

I would rate this as excellent for what it should be, especially due to the staff and general manager who has clearly taken the time to address former issues. However, we believe it's Corporate who has fallen a tad short.

If Corporate allows just a tad more for their budget, they could afford ample creamer and coffee, and perhaps a budget for muffins for every guest. I totally understand that this is only offered as a courtesy; but, ABV advertises NATIONALLY - and at the flyers at the front desk - a "Free Continental Breakfast." I understand that does not mean a buffet, but I'd think it means more than a muffin for first-come, first-served. In my opinion, ALL guests should be offered the same thing! I can see why people, especially families would get miffed because of this. Juice wouldn't be a bad option, either, as more families would book here, with confidence that the parents can get a decent cup of coffee until checkout at 11am, and their kids can at least get a glass of juice and muffin to start the day.

However, until Corporate gets a clue, there is a Sonic right next door that opens at 6am, and has juice, french toast sticks, and options for breakfast burritos.

In our view, this place does not need to be 'top of the line.' However, with a slightly larger budget, these hard working people can address the said issues, which would insure full bookings and happy, repetitive guests.

Please give this excellent staff what it needs to make this place as awesome as it should be. Coffee service (with at least powdered creamer) until checkout, an extra housekeeper to handle 'detail' work, real mattress pads to make multiple nights so cozy, they won't want to stay anyplace else, and, since Corporate advertises " free continental breakfast," make sure you order and budget at least one muffin for each guest." Or, better yet, partner with a local bakery for cross-promotion.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I am SO pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay at ABVI! As you note, this is definitely a more budget-conscience property but we do our best (as evidenced by the great customer service you noted) to handle everyone's needs to the best of our abilities. We hope you consider staying with us again in the future should your travels bring you to the area again. Thanks for your frank, thoughtful comments!
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

The lobby area smelled like stagnant cigarettes. The room was absolutely filthy! The floor appeared not to be swept for some time. The carpet was stained and matted down in spots. The A/C appeared to have bird poop in the inside grate. The price wasn’t exactly cheap at $109 w/tax.

The couple traveling with us said their toilet ran all night and found hair in the bath tub and on the bathroom floor. The room appeared to be filthy as well.

Management was told our concerns and said that it was unacceptable. However, they didn’t try to make it right.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank evetssenim
Thank you for taking the time to relate your recent experiences at our hotel. Although it seems we might have fallen short of the mark in your particular situation, please know that we continue to work with a new staff in terms of training and our expectations for stellar customer service. We hope you treat this experience as isolated and will give us another try in the future!