“Warning***News Flash****Don't stay here!”

America's Best Value Inn Sandusky
Ranked #31 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Bear, Delaware
“Warning***News Flash****Don't stay here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

I arrived 1am ish (after and 8.5 hour drive) The attendant was away from the desk and I waited approximately 5-9 minutes for him to return. He was very upbeat for the time of night and he made me feel welcome. I wasn't sure I was even at the right hotel being from out of town the only sign stating ABVI was close to the road.

The bathroom toilet was filthy. There was hair on the floor. The carpets were not vacuumed. The night stand had some sticky mess on it. Enough to gross you out completely. They say there is wireless Internet , maybe in the lobby but as soon as I got to my room the signal went dead. I informed the desk clerk and she said she would try to reset the router that was in another room but it was too early in the morning (8:30 a.m.)for her to disrupt the room. I have no idea is she even tried and here I sit in the lobby writing this review.

Warning spend the extra bucks to go to a more reputable hotel!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sue B
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at America's Best Value Inn Sandusky, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Thank you for relating your experiences during your recent stay at our hotel. What you experienced is NOT what we would expect or want for any of our guests. As we continue to train our staff to provide outstanding customer service, your comments will aide in that process. Please consider this an isolated incident as customer service really is our number one priority!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

My husband and I booked this place a few weeks ago due to the affordable rate and its close proximity to the Ohio Turnpike and Cedar Point. We were a little nervous reading some of the reviews after we booked. However, we were impressed that the GM has commented on virtually all of the reviews, both good and bad. To us, it meant that the GM is active in stating what this place is, but has also acknowledged suggestions on improvement. Impressive.

In our opinion, this is a great place to stay, at least for one night after an active, tiring day at Cedar Point.

First of all, the staff that we encountered were just stellar. We checked in at @ 9:30 pm on Saturday, July 14th. We were quite exhausted after a full day at Cedar Point. John at the front desk offered us a smile, a speedy check-in, and delightful chit-chat. A simple smile or simple courtesy can so such a long way. John made us feel welcomed immediately. What a wonderful first impression.

We checked into room 139. We found both the room and bathroom tidy. We checked for bedbugs. (I had a horrible encounter with them at a higher class place in Oct of 20011). The mattresses were pristine. (tiny black 'Sharpie" marks means there are bugs, I found this out the hard way). There was some dust on the vent over the shower. I'm pretty casual, so I did not find this as offensive. I dampened a washcloth and wiped the vent. Problem solved. I've stayed at higher-'class' places and witnessed the same thing. I've had a family member and a friend that has done and is currently a housekeeper at a hotel. I understand that staffs (especially at budget places) are short, and they have a minimal amount of time in each room to clean. I understand that their cleaning time gets shortened if they have to clean a room or multiple rooms where there was a lot of 'partying' going on. Thus, some detail work may have to get overlooked from time to time.

The furniture in the rooms is not new, though neither is mine at my own home. This should mean close to nothing for anyone who just wants a decent night's sleep. The TV was large and worked well. The air conditioner was cranked, so it was welcomed after a hot, humid day at Cedar Point. We had to turn it down, but thought that it was lovely that we didn't enter a furnace, and had to wait for the a/c to kick in.

We did notice that there were no official 'mattress pads' on the mattress. There is a very thin unfitted one, like a large towel. So, if one is accostomed or expects to be floating on a cloud, or pillowtop, do not book here and complain. I did feel the 'bumps' in the mattress, but, it was comfortable enough for my tired bones that evening, and I slept a comfortable 9 hours. The pillows are marked 'soft" and "firm,' though both of us could not tell the difference. All seem to be thin, firm and 'unfluffable.' Nothing that we haven't seen at other budget places. We doubled them, and slept soundly. Just a word to road travellers - you won't be sorry if you have enough room to pack your favorite pillow, as I see in airports.

I woke on Sunday at 10 am, ready for free coffee. Five minutes later, I couldn't wait to get two nice cups of coffee, and maybe a muffin or two, as I heard that's what's available. I entered the lobby, and Latora was cleaning up the coffee station, which apparently closes at 10. Latora was EXTREMELY NICE AND ACCOMMODATING. She put cups and sugar out for me, asking if I needed anything else, but apologizing that they were out of creamer for the coffee. I know this wasn't her fault, so i did not complain, I was just so thankful she was so nice. She could have just told me "it's closed." Instead, she went beyond and made sure we got something. AWESOME!

Latora was also the one who checked us out quickly, with professionalism and a smile. Again, that goes such a long way.

I would rate this as excellent for what it should be, especially due to the staff and general manager who has clearly taken the time to address former issues. However, we believe it's Corporate who has fallen a tad short.

If Corporate allows just a tad more for their budget, they could afford ample creamer and coffee, and perhaps a budget for muffins for every guest. I totally understand that this is only offered as a courtesy; but, ABV advertises NATIONALLY - and at the flyers at the front desk - a "Free Continental Breakfast." I understand that does not mean a buffet, but I'd think it means more than a muffin for first-come, first-served. In my opinion, ALL guests should be offered the same thing! I can see why people, especially families would get miffed because of this. Juice wouldn't be a bad option, either, as more families would book here, with confidence that the parents can get a decent cup of coffee until checkout at 11am, and their kids can at least get a glass of juice and muffin to start the day.

However, until Corporate gets a clue, there is a Sonic right next door that opens at 6am, and has juice, french toast sticks, and options for breakfast burritos.

In our view, this place does not need to be 'top of the line.' However, with a slightly larger budget, these hard working people can address the said issues, which would insure full bookings and happy, repetitive guests.

Please give this excellent staff what it needs to make this place as awesome as it should be. Coffee service (with at least powdered creamer) until checkout, an extra housekeeper to handle 'detail' work, real mattress pads to make multiple nights so cozy, they won't want to stay anyplace else, and, since Corporate advertises " free continental breakfast," make sure you order and budget at least one muffin for each guest." Or, better yet, partner with a local bakery for cross-promotion.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
I am SO pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay at ABVI! As you note, this is definitely a more budget-conscience property but we do our best (as evidenced by the great customer service you noted) to handle everyone's needs to the best of our abilities. We hope you consider staying with us again in the future should your travels bring you to the area again. Thanks for your frank, thoughtful comments!
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

The lobby area smelled like stagnant cigarettes. The room was absolutely filthy! The floor appeared not to be swept for some time. The carpet was stained and matted down in spots. The A/C appeared to have bird poop in the inside grate. The price wasn’t exactly cheap at $109 w/tax.

The couple traveling with us said their toilet ran all night and found hair in the bath tub and on the bathroom floor. The room appeared to be filthy as well.

Management was told our concerns and said that it was unacceptable. However, they didn’t try to make it right.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank evetssenim
Thank you for taking the time to relate your recent experiences at our hotel. Although it seems we might have fallen short of the mark in your particular situation, please know that we continue to work with a new staff in terms of training and our expectations for stellar customer service. We hope you treat this experience as isolated and will give us another try in the future!

Travelers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

Stained towels, bedspread and carpets, felt dirtier leaven after a shower the next day, the only positive is staff very friendly and helpful. We would not stay here again or recommend to anyone.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Fl10ismom
Thank you for relating your experiences with your recent stay at our hotel property. Thank you also for pointing out your pleansant experience with our staff. We continue to use comments such as yours to refine our processes and to better train our staff on our expectations of a clean, quality ambiance and experience!
Vestaburg, mi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

Here's the deal....it's cheap compared to the other hotels in the area. The 'breakfast' was the only thing I would complain about. It wasn't a breakfast, but that's ok.....it's close to many decent places to eat. No fridge or microwave....but, again...that's OK! The rooms were clean, the staff was fine....What in the world can you complain about when you choose a hotel based on a cheap price when things are seriously....just fine. It's not a 5 star hotel, it....is what it is. We will return. It's a place to sleep at a decent price. When you get back from the park after 10, with a clean room and the beds are made......and leave when you get up....with clean towels each day....what is there to gripe about?? Again....I will say....we'll return. No problems.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Melissa D
, Guest Relations Manager at America's Best Value Inn Sandusky, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with our hotel! I am pleased that you found value in the accommodations and that you found your room to be clean and in acceptable order. As you indicate in your review, this is a budget-conscience property--as such, breakfast is not a mandated amenity; although we DO provide free coffee and muffins as a courtesy to all of our guests. Thanks again for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to your return visit!
North Canton, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

We have stayed in many America's best value inns all over the country. We like them so much we became Value Club members. We read the reviews to many different inns, motels, hotels and alike up near Cedar Point. Really none sounded good to stay at. We choose to stay at our little fav inn and hoped for the best after reading about dirty rooms and rude staff. The room was nice and clean and the the staff was very helpful and friendly. The one thing I do agree with is the WiFi sucks. It was sporadic and only really worked the first time I logged in. But really who needs it when you are going to Cedar Point? The restaurant on sight was great and great value for the amount of food you got! Needed dogie bags but no fridge or microwave in the room. Oh well, Sorry Snoopy. Over all great stay, great value, no issues will go back next time we go up to Cedar Point!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steffy_Lee
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. I'm glad that you found it to exceed your expectations and that you are a loyal Value Club member of ABVI! I'm super-excited to hear that the accommodations were clean and that the staff was pleasant and responsive to your needs. Thanks, also, for bringing the sporadic WiFi access to our attention. We will most definitely look into that problem and see if we can't find a resolution. Thanks again for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to seeing you back again on your next visit to our area!
Canton, Michigan, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

Stayed here for one night while in Cedar Point. Honestly, was very scared after reading all of the horrible reviews (I was not the one to make the hotel arrangements). Once we arrived everything looked fine, staff was nice, lobby area was decent and the room was clean. Only had one problem with a friend of mine having a very flat pillow but we received a new one after we asked. It's not much of a hotel but for one night and the price you are paying, it works. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
, Guest Relations Manager at America's Best Value Inn Sandusky, responded to this review, June 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. I'm exceedingly happy that you found our accommodations more than acceptable and I'm even more delighted that our staff took care of the one issue that you described. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to our area!