“Disgusting” 1 of 5 bubbles

Castaway Bay Resort
Ranked #9 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
“Disgusting”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2005

I had great expectations in taking our family to Castaway Bay for HalloWeekends at Cedar Point. I reserved the Tarpon suite with the bunkbeds. In paying $705 for the 2-night package (included park passes), I admit I expected something Disney-like and Castaway Bay was far from it! Upon getting into our room, my daughter noticed sticky stuff on the desk in the kids' room -- maple syrup drops. So I looked at the other tables and there was more maple syrup plus sticky rings from glasses of pop. Obviously none of the tables had been wiped down. The glass patio doors were covered in fingerprints. I pulled back the bedspread and found no top sheet on the bed, only a VERY stained bottom sheet (pink stains and brown spots and long hairs). My husband and I were extremely disgusted. I was willing to overlook the dark and outdated decor and even the sawing noises coming from the corridor. But filth?! No way! We didn't even get to see the waterpark although I imagine it is probably where they have invested all of their money, overlooking upgrading the rooms or even employing/paying staff to care about their reputation as a family destination.

We checked out immediately, demanding our money back. We then drove to Great Wolf Lodge and when we stepped into our room, it was magic! What a gorgous hotel! From the furniture to the wall fixtures to the wallpaper to the service to the amenities at the waterpark, it was perfect. I felt so much better spending my money there as rooms at both of these hotels are expensive (at least they are to us!). Even the kids' room had a TV with a Nintendo remote attached to it (the room at Castaway Bay only had the Nintendo remote on the adults' TV (I don't get that!).

This is the first time I have ever written a review, but I felt I really had to warn people. I would never recommend Castaway Bay and I have no affiliation with either hotel as I am from Canada. Cheers.

• Stayed October 2005
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
40 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2005

We stayed at Castaway Bay in April. We had the same hassle with the front desk staff about using a debit card to pay for our room. It was all downhill from there. We were in the waterpark about 3 hours when my son started breaking out in hives. We asked the lifeguards if they used any special additives in their water, but they all just shrugged their shoulders. Speaking of the lifeguards...some of them were extremely rude and abusive to children. We saw lots of unnecessary whistle-blowing by individuals who were obviously on some sort of power trip and who were obviously not in any physical shape to be lifeguards in the first place.
The icing on our Castaway Bay trip occurred at 2:00 am. We were aroused from our sleep by the manager on the telephone. He insisted that we had water running in our room that was flooding the rooms below us. This was the weekend that Ohio received a record rainfall, followed by a record April snowfall. Anyway, there was no running water...just a hole in the roof above our room that was draining vast amounts of water down through a closet in our room to the floor below. The manager appeared and tried to control the flood with a bus pan. He told us we could stay in our room, but that workmen would soon be there to fix the problem. Our three boys woke up to lots of noise. When we asked to move to another room, we were told there was no where for us to go. The hotel was completely booked. We were worried about a roof collapse, so we loaded up our boys and hit the road in a driving rain and ice storm. On the way out, we witnessed at least 6 other spots where water was pouring down walls and onto the floor.

Just another great family vacation....NOT!! Avoid this place. You won't be sorry. We just got back from Kalahari....great trip. A much cleaner, nicer facility.

• Stayed April 2005
27 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2005

We stayed at Castaway Bay at the end of April. I have been reading these reviews and wondering where these other people stayed.
No - the rooms are not as new as the Kalahari (at which we have also stayed this summer) but they were clean and mold free. The water park isn't as big as the Kalahari but was great for our family. How crowed is the Kalahari's water park going to be when those 600 rooms are full?
After staying at both I would recommend both.
We found both parks to be clean and well attended.
We would go back to either - the deciding factor would be who had the best price deal at the time.

• Stayed April 2005
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2005

We recently stayed at Cedar Point's Castaway Bay and we loved it. After a terrible day at Cedar Point(the weather was terrible) this hotel was my savior. The staff was friendly, and very helpful. The waterpark was excellent. That was the best part of the entire trip. We went with a party of 8 people and each of us found something we loved!

The rooms were very clean and well laid out.

We will be back...in fact we are looking to book another trip this time with a larger party!

• Stayed June 2004
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2005

We stayed for three days at the hotel and water park. Our hotel room was very nice and clean! One time, we stayed in our room till after housekeeping had been through our hallway, and we didn't expect them to come back and tidy up the room, but when we came back from the water park, the room was tidy and clean.

Staying at the Castaway Bay hotel was a great idea because with our package, we got 4 passes to Soak City, 2 all day passes to Cedar Point, and 4 Twilight Passes to Cedar Point (to use after 5 p.m.), so we stayed at the hotel AND got to go to Cedar Point (which is a 5 minute drive from the hotel, or, if you wish, you can take an hour long cruise on the river from the hotel to Cedar Point) as well as Soak City without paying any admission fees to the parks. On top of that, we got $30 to spend on the dining facilities inside Castaway Bay, and several dining facilities inside Cedar Point. Basically, you get what you pay for AND more.

The water park itself was a surprise. True, I expected it to be bigger, but the rides were fun and enjoyable. I loved that it was indoors because you didn't have to deal with sun block or bugs flying around like you would at an outdoors water park! And if we did feel like going to an outdoors water park, we still had our free Soak City passes.

Dining there was great! They have a full bar on the second floor, a buffet on the first floor, and TGI Fridays. There's also a sweets shop that sells Krispy Kream and Starbucks products.

Couldn't have asked for a better vacation

• Stayed July 2005
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2005

We had the pleasure of visiting Great Wolf Lodge Halloween 2004- what a joy! Decided to give Castaway Bay a try for a birthday treat for son. It was a total disappointment. We spent less money at GWL and the facilities were immaculate and the waterpark fantastic. Our room at CAB was a total disappointment after our large Kids Cabin at GWL. 5 people in a room smaller than a standard hotel room, overlooked the nasty bay, the sliders were old and filthy, the carpet-ugh. I was really disappointed in the way we were 'nickeled and dimed' at CAB. It really irritated me that I had to spend an extra dollar to buy a card to put money on for the kids to use in the gameroom (so $5 worth of play cost $6). The waterpark was overheated and over chlorinated, so that a couple of the kids had to leave because that chlorine was making them cough (hasn't happened anywhere else) Needless to say with Kalahari and GWL in the area, we won't be back to CAB

• Stayed May 2005
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2005

have to admit i was a little nervous after booking this hotel then reading the reviews. after 4 nights i have come to the conclusion that the negative reviews must be employees of other hotels. check-in was a breeze. room was spacious and clean. waterpark was great. never got to crowded so you never had to wait in line. a 2 minute drive to cedar point. can work to TGIF. have two kids, 7 and 13 who loved it. they can't wait to come back. checked out at 11 and was still able to use facilities till 10 that night. the staff was very friendly and the hotel was clean. enjoy!!

• Stayed August 2005