I had great expectations in taking our family to Castaway Bay for HalloWeekends at Cedar Point. I reserved the Tarpon suite with the bunkbeds. In paying $705 for the 2-night package (included park passes), I admit I expected something Disney-like and Castaway Bay was far from it! Upon getting into our room, my daughter noticed sticky stuff on the desk in the kids' room -- maple syrup drops. So I looked at the other tables and there was more maple syrup plus sticky rings from glasses of pop. Obviously none of the tables had been wiped down. The glass patio doors were covered in fingerprints. I pulled back the bedspread and found no top sheet on the bed, only a VERY stained bottom sheet (pink stains and brown spots and long hairs). My husband and I were extremely disgusted. I was willing to overlook the dark and outdated decor and even the sawing noises coming from the corridor. But filth?! No way! We didn't even get to see the waterpark although I imagine it is probably where they have invested all of their money, overlooking upgrading the rooms or even employing/paying staff to care about their reputation as a family destination.
We checked out immediately, demanding our money back. We then drove to Great Wolf Lodge and when we stepped into our room, it was magic! What a gorgous hotel! From the furniture to the wall fixtures to the wallpaper to the service to the amenities at the waterpark, it was perfect. I felt so much better spending my money there as rooms at both of these hotels are expensive (at least they are to us!). Even the kids' room had a TV with a Nintendo remote attached to it (the room at Castaway Bay only had the Nintendo remote on the adults' TV (I don't get that!).
This is the first time I have ever written a review, but I felt I really had to warn people. I would never recommend Castaway Bay and I have no affiliation with either hotel as I am from Canada. Cheers.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Caribbean meets Sandusky at this resort destination for vacationers. With its tropical theme, guests at Cedar Point's Castaway Bay feel like they have just landed on an island paradise upon entering this lush indoor waterpark resort. Castaway Bay features 237 hotel rooms and suites including family-oriented units, a 38,000-square-foot indoor waterpark loaded with water activities for all ages, fitness center, 6,000-square-foot state-of-the-art arcade, a craft and child activity center, three restaurants, retail shops, adjacent marina and space for meetings, group events and birthday parties. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com and Booking.com so you can book your Castaway Bay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castaway Bay Hotel Sandusky
- Castaway Bay Sandusky
- Sandusky Castaway Bay
- Bay Castaway Ohio
- Castaway Bay Resort Sandusky, Ohio