“Great Place, Great Vacation, Great Value!”

Cedar Point's Castaway Bay
Ranked #11 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Lincoln Park, MI
Reviewed August 18, 2005

We stayed for three days at the hotel and water park. Our hotel room was very nice and clean! One time, we stayed in our room till after housekeeping had been through our hallway, and we didn't expect them to come back and tidy up the room, but when we came back from the water park, the room was tidy and clean.

Staying at the Castaway Bay hotel was a great idea because with our package, we got 4 passes to Soak City, 2 all day passes to Cedar Point, and 4 Twilight Passes to Cedar Point (to use after 5 p.m.), so we stayed at the hotel AND got to go to Cedar Point (which is a 5 minute drive from the hotel, or, if you wish, you can take an hour long cruise on the river from the hotel to Cedar Point) as well as Soak City without paying any admission fees to the parks. On top of that, we got $30 to spend on the dining facilities inside Castaway Bay, and several dining facilities inside Cedar Point. Basically, you get what you pay for AND more.

The water park itself was a surprise. True, I expected it to be bigger, but the rides were fun and enjoyable. I loved that it was indoors because you didn't have to deal with sun block or bugs flying around like you would at an outdoors water park! And if we did feel like going to an outdoors water park, we still had our free Soak City passes.

Dining there was great! They have a full bar on the second floor, a buffet on the first floor, and TGI Fridays. There's also a sweets shop that sells Krispy Kream and Starbucks products.

Couldn't have asked for a better vacation

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Akron
Reviewed August 11, 2005

We had the pleasure of visiting Great Wolf Lodge Halloween 2004- what a joy! Decided to give Castaway Bay a try for a birthday treat for son. It was a total disappointment. We spent less money at GWL and the facilities were immaculate and the waterpark fantastic. Our room at CAB was a total disappointment after our large Kids Cabin at GWL. 5 people in a room smaller than a standard hotel room, overlooked the nasty bay, the sliders were old and filthy, the carpet-ugh. I was really disappointed in the way we were 'nickeled and dimed' at CAB. It really irritated me that I had to spend an extra dollar to buy a card to put money on for the kids to use in the gameroom (so $5 worth of play cost $6). The waterpark was overheated and over chlorinated, so that a couple of the kids had to leave because that chlorine was making them cough (hasn't happened anywhere else) Needless to say with Kalahari and GWL in the area, we won't be back to CAB

• Stayed: May 2005
17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
BELLMORE,NY
Reviewed August 6, 2005

have to admit i was a little nervous after booking this hotel then reading the reviews. after 4 nights i have come to the conclusion that the negative reviews must be employees of other hotels. check-in was a breeze. room was spacious and clean. waterpark was great. never got to crowded so you never had to wait in line. a 2 minute drive to cedar point. can work to TGIF. have two kids, 7 and 13 who loved it. they can't wait to come back. checked out at 11 and was still able to use facilities till 10 that night. the staff was very friendly and the hotel was clean. enjoy!!

• Stayed: August 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 4, 2005

I was very disapppointed when i arrived at the Castaway Hotel. After flying into CLE & driving a good hour, I was met by a very rude staff member at the hotel demanding a credit card just to have on file. i let this young lady know that i had pre-paid my vacation & didn't owe them anything. she said we need to have it on file. well 2 minutes later she says, the charge for $200 didn't go thru. I told her that i never authorized them to take out $200. she gives me the card back & demands i pay $20 /day for incidentals that would cover playstation & room service. I said no. She said she was turning off all the services to my room. I said ok, fine. I can live without the games/roomservice. The demenor of this girl was very rude to me, she walked away & looked down at me when i spoke to her & i insisted she bring her manager out. I explained all the above & the mgr said she would talk to the girl. This was the first member i met at the hotel & this really had a negative impact on my impression of the hotel.

Anyway, before you go to Sandusky, you should know that it is a very isolated town. The only game in town is the Cedar Point Park. After that there is really nothing else to do.

Lets talk about the hotel. It is like everything i read about. the halls are dimly lit. the rugs are stained & filthy. the elavators are very small & cannot accomodate more than 4 people at a time, nevermind luggage & strollers.The wallpaper was falling off the wall in the small room & the sink did not drain properly. the in wall safe batteries were falling out, called maintenace & he duct taped the safe batteries in place becasue the back plate was missing.the beds do not have fitted sheets & the bed was very uncomfortable, also the pillows. The bayview i had overlooked a dirty swamp. thats right it is a swamp my friends. that is why all the rooms have screens on the deck

When i was deciding to come to Sandusky, my other choices were the Kalahari & Great Wolf. When I read all the stories, I felt they were slanted against the Castaway. Well i can tell you those stories were all true. I threw my money away $318/nite to stay there. it is NOT a resort by any stretch of the imagination. I got caught up with their fancy marketing piece & they made it look good. I have stayed in Hawaii at a 1st class hotel for $239 /nite.

When we were there, I stopped in at the Kalahari;their waterpark looked nice. their hotel is a bit away from the main drag. also there is alot of uphill walking to get to the main entrance becasue the parking lot is so far away.

The Great Wolf is the lodge i wished we had gone to. i thought it had the nicest waterpark. the resort appears to be clean & updated in its wilderness theme.it is also located in a more desireable area.

I noticed in the Sandusky area that many of the hotels are run down looking. This was a somewhat disappointing trip becasue the castaway was such disaster of a hotel. they really need to clean up their act. i saw alot of arguments at the front desk over the same item of the credit card. no one seems to care that i spent alot of money at their hotel & the services were just so inadequate. i can tell you that i won't be coming to sandusky again or use the rattison hotels........

• Stayed: August 2005
16  Thank janbeth
Middle River, MD
Reviewed August 1, 2005

I’d like to share with you our recent vacation experience to your resort. We arrived early, about 10:00 am and pre-registered. We took advantage of the indoor water park while we waited for our room to be ready. It was an OK indoor water park, although it was extremely hot. It was hotter than being outside, and it was over 90 degrees that day.
Our room was finally available around 3:30. Upon entering our room, we found a few pieces of dry cereal left on the floor under the table, so we just picked it up. After we got situated, we opened the curtains to go out on the balcony. There is no other word that comes to mind besides “disgusting”. It looked like it hadn’t been cleaned since spring, if it was even done then. There were even some personal items left from a previous guest. My husband and I were looking forward to a few quite moments sitting out there, but we couldn’t stand to be out there. Cleanliness isn’t our only issue. There were also things that were broken. The drain in the tub never really wanted to stay open, so when we got showers the water just accumulated in the tub and we had to continually pull up the drain. The toilet rocks - as in it rocks and moves around when it is being used. That was not a very secure feeling. The hair dryer that the hotel supplies didn’t work, I’m really glad I had brought my own and not counted on using the one that was suppose to be available for guests. I can’t believe we paid $261 a night (more if you consider that we had the Cedar Point package) for a room like this. It’s a disgrace.
If you purchase any extra tickets for activities (Cedar Point Amusement Park, etc), they have a no refund policy, no exceptions. Guests at Cedar Point resorts are suppose to have an exclusive early entrance to the amusement park. That rule was totally ignored. Anyone was allowed in, not just guests. Our sons were among the first 50 or so people into the park, but when they arrived at their first pick ride for the day, the line was already very long and several of the popular rides weren’t even going to be open until 10:00. So much for special perks for resort guests.
We had breakfast at Mango Mikes, a restaurant in the resort, were the food was only edible; the food was either under cooked or over cooked. The Belgian waffles, however, were very good. There was no buffet for lunch as the literature and web page advertised, only a-la-cart, which turned out to be quite pricey.
If we had known what the resort was really like, we would have stayed somewhere else. The package deal didn’t save us any money, or offer us any special privileges. We could have stayed in a better motel for less money and bought our own tickets at a discount, either from any other hotel or on-line.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Michigan
Reviewed August 1, 2005

When i read all of the reviews saying how bad Castaway Bay I really didn't want to go. When I got there the hotel was fine. It seemed brand new. They had a pirate ship in the lobby, a lot of gift shops, and a big arcad.The first day that we got there we wanted to go to Cedar Point, we saved $12 when we got the tickets there. We didn't have to stand in line that long. I was very scared to see what our room looked like, it turns out theat it was fine! There was NO MOLD in the bathroom, or anywhere eles. The room wasn't the biggest thing that I ever saw, but other than that it was fine.You don't even stay in the room that much. Just to tell you they do have children shows to watch. The food was good, i liked it. Oh yeah, Fridays is connected to the hotel.The rooms were a bit over pricey, and same with the stores that they had in the looby.I personaly love it there and would want to go back again sometime.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 17, 2005

We arranged a two-day vacation with extended family at Castaway Bay and ended up very disappointed. This is NOT A NEW HOTEL. It is a wonderful waterpark stuck onto an old, dirty, smelly, cramped and unattractive hotel. Why aren't the rooms renovated at the very least? We paid well over $300 for what as supposed to be a two-room suite. Wrong!! It was a small room divided into two by a partition for two sets of cheap bunk beds. This sleeping area for the kids had only a cloth curtain for a door and a large gap in the wall next to our bed with a flimsy blind, so that we couldn't watch TV or turn on the light without bothering the kids. What fun! The bathroom was FILTHY! The tub floor was actually black, there were black mold spots on the ceiling, and the ventilation fan was clogged with dirt and dust. There was a half-filled beer can (NOT OURS!!) and cigerette butts on our balcony, which overlooked a huge expanse of white roof. Although this is a Cedar Point property, they do not even provide a shuttle to the park nor a free parking pass. Why would anyone waste their money at this dump when just a minute away are the Kalahari Resort and the Great Wolf Lodge??? Please, please spare yourself the frustration of staying here.

12  Thank Linda D