“Decent depending on the price”

Cedar Point's Castaway Bay
Ranked #11 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Hotel theme and styling is dated. For a Cedar Point resort you would think the rooms and park would be better. Room was dated but clean but not great but okay. Water Park is kept warm and the life Guards are attentive, Park is much smaller then other water park Hotel's in Sandusky but is okay depending on what you pay, we booked in advanced got the room for a good rate so I thought the value is okay but the regular rate of $200 a night I would stay some where else .

Room Tip: Book in advance
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
TyleratCP, Manager at Cedar Point's Castaway Bay, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to provide a review of your visit. While we understand we are not the largest (we are the second largest) waterpark in the area, we still want to provide every guest a great experience. Thank you for the information so that we can continue to strive for excellence.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

been here before. room was ready when we checked in. room floor wasn't vacuumed. crumbs in the bed. nacho cheese on floor in pool area i had to get a supervisor to clean it..he half cleaned it up. the cheese was there at least two hours. area need food station, no employee ever ever cleans it up. towels and trash on table. woman drinking beer at 12 noon in wave pool, no lifeguard told her to get out with her kid. accident waiting to happen. changes need to be made. i called katie yesterday as of today, i received no return call. just waiting.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for providing feedback about your visit. Katie has been reviewing the issues you mentioned so that we can improve our operations.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

I took my son to Castaway bay for his birthday. I was not pleased with the service, we do not live close. We only stayed 2 nights 3 days. One of the two days 2 rides was Out of Service, that was not a problem because the wave pool was still available, But my second day there the wave pool was down along with another ride. I asked was the water park giving any money back to the park because this was a inconvince. The whole purpose of going up there was because of the wave pool. My son does not ride the slides so after a couple hours he was bored. IM NOT A HAPPY CAMPER. We did not stay for the third day because the wave pool was still down!!!!

Reviewed March 12, 2014

We purshased a package from the website for my two boys (age 1 & 3) as part of Christmas. The place was clean and appeared to be cared for by the staff. Check in / out was okay but the guest coming in for the water park only kept the front desk busy and delayed my answers from getting ansewred quickly. I felt the life gaurds did an outstanding job and that made my wife and I as ease that if the kids were safe in their care. The meals we had at TGIF and Snack Shack were great and plenty of food for my family. I would highly suggest this to anyone wanting to go as a family with kids under 12 years old.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Good time for the kids and we really enjoyed our stay however I think the staff need some customer service skills. The front desk people were mainly good but no one smiled or seemed too be overly friendly especially with the kids. Invest in your staff and get them some customer service skills. A smile goes a long way!

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I took my children ages 4 and 8 for an overnight stay on 3/6/2014. When we arrived it took about 10 minutes to check in since there were several other famlies checking in at the same time. The staff was nice but seemed bothered by something when we checked in. The room was you average hotel room but wasn't a big concern because we only planned on sleeping there. The waterpark itself was not busy at all (it was a Thursday night). The waterpark is a little smaller than any other water park I have been to; I guess I expected it to be a little bigger since it is a Cedar Point property. I could not imagine how crowded this park would be if it were busy. My 4 year old had a great time but my 8 year old became bored after a few hours. Water temps were luke warm in a couple areas but cold in the rest and would be my only true complaint. If you have small children, this place is good. If your child is 8 or over, consider another park. The lifeguards are very attentive throughout the facility.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

I took my kids here for a mini vacation. They are twin 8 year olds and one five year old. They enjoyed the wave pool the best. The slides were too intimidating for one of my twins, while the other enjoyed it. We had a great time. However, when we got home and took showers, everybody was covered in hives! I don't know what kind of chemicals they are using, but even being in swim lessons my kids have never reacted to pool water like they have now. We probably won't be back.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Heather L
TyleratCP, Manager at Cedar Point's Castaway Bay, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Thank you for visiting Castaway Bay. We understand that each guest reacts differently to water treatments. We constantly monitor levels to keep them safe for all of our guests.