“Don't listen to all of the bad review!”

Cedar Point's Castaway Bay
Ranked #11 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
“Don't listen to all of the bad review!”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

I found a last minute deal online that made staying here much less ($80 a night less) than the other resorts in the area. We have been to Kalahari and Great Wolf Lodge before so I have a reference point. When we checked in the front desk was nice, nothing stands out as being over the top nice but they were not rude at all. Our room was clean and although they are not huge rooms, they are a standard size and you won't spend much time in the room.

I would compare the water park itself to that more along the size of Great Wolf Lodge. It's not huge like Kalahari but there is enough to do. There was plenty of lifeguards all around and they were very intense on doing their job. They were very focused but did not seem overly friendly. I have 2 children, a 4 yr old & 16 yr old. The 4 yr old loved all of the smaller slides and the 16 yr old was content with the bigger slides and mainly the hot tub. Everything was very clean.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Theresa H
TyleratCP, Manager at Cedar Point's Castaway Bay, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Thank you for the helpful feedback about your visit. We will be sure to share your review with our staff.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

When entering the hotel there is a nice fire that is warm and welcoming. The staff at the check in desk was friendly. We stayed in the Tarpon Suite. The separation of wall between bed rooms was nice especially with privacy from kids. It also gave them their own tv. The down fall is the king bed is horrible...the mattress and pillows are low quality. The bedding is not good quality so the sheets seem slightly itchy. The coffee left for the room is not of good quality. The shampoo and bath products are great! They are from bath and body works. The hotel needs some updating but it is clean. The food at the hotel is awful....especially TGIF. The vending machines are over priced. I suggest going to dollar store or Rite Aid to get anything you many have forgotten.There is a Brick Oven pizza place down the street that is amazing! There is also a candy shop called Farohs that is about two miles away. It is great...must go there! There is a small diner called The Better Half that has good breakfast and down home cooking....it's much better than hotel buffet. Overall, it was nice for my kids...they enjoyed the water park and arcade. My husband and I enjoyed the outdoor hot tub! I would like to come again as long as we have a different bed.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Melissa M
Thank you for sharing the details of your visit. We're sure it will be helpful for our future guests. The bedding was recently updated and I apologize there was an issue with your mattress. Hopefully you were able to let us know about it so we can resolve it. We appreciate your business.
Cleveland
Reviewed February 6, 2014

This indoor waterpark is PERFECT for younger families. I was worried that my husband and I would be chained to the kids as this was our family's first trip to a waterpark. We were pleasantly surprised that the size of the waterpark meant that our 7 year old could roam freely without dragging us with her. The 3 year old had free reign of the toddler splash pool and we were able to sit and watch from the side lines. Lifeguards are terrific - friendly and watchful. I felt safe with the keeping a close eye on the kids. And the Friday night we were at Castaway Bay was delightfully uncrowded. No wait for any of the rides and the 7 year old rode the Rendezvous Run water coaster dozens of times.

Older kids (10+) might get bored here, but for younger families...the size is perfect.

As for the rooms.... this isn't a 5 star hotel, but rooms were clean and comfortable. We didn't get a chance to do all the family/kid activities since our kids never wanted to leave the waterpark or arcade. But they were offered and they looked fun.

Overall the experience was very positive. A nice winter getaway. I recommend.

1 Thank kate77Cleveland
Thank you for choosing Castaway Bay for your family's first waterpark visit.
Michigan
Reviewed February 4, 2014

There are two much larger water park resorts in Sandusky. We've stayed at both. This one is a bit smaller and less expensive. Unless you have a strong preference for a larger resort, consider this one to save a little money.

We got a far better rate by calling the resort than was offered on their web site. We would not have stayed otherwise because the web site was so much more.

We had a standard two bed room. It overlooked the small inlet/harbor. It was in very good shape and clean, with a few blemishes here and there.

There was a balcony, but it was screened in. I don't know if the screen was a safety device or a barrier for bugs in the summer.

Service in the hotel, waterpark and restaurant or snack bars was not the best, but adequate.

I think this resort is only open Th-Sun or perhaps F-Sun during the winter. The problem this caused us was that nobody answered the phone at other times. Very odd. Remember this if you take my advice and call to see if the room rates are better.

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook the water and have a balcony, but you must look through a screen.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank ljmach
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your visit. Our reservations office is open daily and can be reached at 419-627-2106. The hotel hours do vary so we recommend calling the reservations office directly for assistance with rates.
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Got a StarFish room for 1 night through Groupon. We had been through Great Wolf Lodge which was only 2 miles away, so here's the comparison.

Good:
1) The SPA hot tub is one of a kind at 98F! It extends from indoor all the way to outdoor. So in a freezing winter, the outdoor pool has steam effect and your head is cool while your body get warmed up. Feels like those far east legends where people has natural hot springs in winter.

2) The Wave pool! I was told the waves alternate every 10 minutes with calm water.

Bad:
1) Indoor air temperature is a bit colder than Great Wolf Lodge.

2) Indoor water temperature is also colder than Great Wolf. I am a regular fitness club member and I know water temperature. Great Wolf water is probably set at 86 F, but Castaway is At MOST 84F or lower. But for young kids who have more body fat, they may not notice the difference.

3) The rendezvous ride is dizzy. It led you down at almost 90 degree free fall, tube bumped and immediately shoot up by a speedy water jet and then turn immediately. To me it's a bit rough and feel throwing up after a few rides. I would prefer Great Wolf speedy smooth tube ride instead.

4) Entrance is secured by a staff who scan and monitor everything you brought in. Great Wolf is more lenient that you can bring food in to skip the exorbitant priced food.

Room is cleaned. Facility feels newer than Great Wolf. To me, 1 night stay is more than enough for all waterparks, as you can check in/out earlier and play whole day for both days.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank sftong
Thank you for the helpful review and feedback. We appreciate your business.
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I had visited CB about 5 years ago- and I must say I think they improved! It was much cleaner to me this time (locker rooms especially- they were trashed and gross before!), guards were attentive and staff was courteous! Our room was typical, my kids enjoyed the water overlooking balcony and the geese nesting on the frozen inlet. They enjoyed the waterpark and arcade. I would say that the park and water were a little cold for winter, but other than that we had a nice break to our cabin fever.

1 Thank Jenniferfam5
Thank you for making another visit to Castaway Bay. We hope you will join us again.
Perrysburg, Ohio
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Basically the entire staff (front desk, hotel restaurant, waterpark and arcade) were obviously not happy working there! I will never pay that much again to be unappreciated! I am in the retail business myself and I know that if management allows this then it will not stop. It isn't always bad people, but, it is ALWAYS bad management.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank PMattress
I apologize that your experience was not satisfactory. We take pride in providing great service and it sounds like we fell short during your visit. Thank your for taking the time to let us know so that we can share this with our staff and make improvements.

Travelers are raving about these Sandusky hotels