“Save The Money And Do Not Stay Here”

Cedar Point's Castaway Bay
Ranked #11 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Columbus, Ohio
“Save The Money And Do Not Stay Here”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I don't think I'm alone on here when I say "This place literally stinks". My group consisted of five adults and five children. When I called to book the rooms, they said they had the perfect "suite" for us, but we would need to have two roll-away beds added to the suite in order to accommodate everyone. I was very excited walking up to the room until I realized they had not given me a "suite", they had given me two mediocre rooms with an adjoining door. I walked into the first room and it smelled like rotten fish. I'm not kidding when I say my wife and I looked around the room for about ten minutes trying to find a carcass or something. When I opened up the other room, I was instantly greeted by the smell of stale smoke and what I can only imagine was human feces. I called down to the desk to inquire about the odor and the clerk at the desk rudely said "Sir, our rooms do not smell. The water surrounding the hotel smells." So, I did as any normal person would do and asked for another room "further away" from the smelly water. The clerk said they were totally booked up and couldn't get me into another room. So I asked about the roll-away beds that I had paid an additional $40 to reserve ($20 each). The clerk quickly advised me that they do not allow reservations of the roll-away beds. This didn't sit well with me at all. I looked around in my suitcase, found the email confirmation from when I booked the room and went down to the desk and demanded to speak to a manager. Some kid, who looked to be about 17, came out and glared at me and before I even said the first word to him, he says "Are you the guy making issues for my front desk associates? You do know they're busy trying to help multiple guests, right?"

Needless to say, that did not exactly start our discussion off in the right direction at all! I'll save all the gory details to say that I exploded like a nuclear bomb on the kid. We didn't get our roll-away beds. My kids all had to sleep on the floor and I sat on the phone that night and booked the next two days of our stay at Kalahari Resorts down the road.

NOW THERE'S A GOOD SPOT TO STAY!!!

I booked two nights in the Nyumba Entertainment Villa on the back lot of the resort. The room isn't a room. It's a HOUSE! It's literally a HOUSE! It DID NOT stink or smell like fish. We had a pool table, 9 flat screen HD Tv's, a hot tub, a full kitchen, enough beds for everyone to have their own bed. Room service was amazing! I can't say enough about Kalahari. If you're going to spend a boat load of cash on a weekend getaway anyways, make it worth while. Do not stay at Castaway Bay. Drive a little further down the road and stay at the mother of all indoor water parks! I'm heading over to the Kalahari page now to write about our stay there.

Oh yeah, my wife just reminded me about our breakfast at Castaway Bay. OMG! Their is a JOKE! We stood in line for fifteen minutes because we had so many in our party. As we're standing there, the hostess lady, who couldn't speak a word of English (Engrish perhaps), invites a party of two to their table. I watch as she escorts them to an 8-top table with two open ends on it. Then she asks other people in line behind us if they would be willing to join those folks...She ended up putting 10 people at that table after putting one person on each end...Which is exactly what I recommended the lady do in the first place!!! I tried asking the lady why she said 5 groups of 2 at that table instead of one group of 10 who had been standing in line for 20 minutes. She just smiled at me and said "We have table ready one minute man. One minute, table for you."

Again, my rage got the best of me and we just left. Since I had booked us at Kalahari already, we got in the van, drove over there, checked in early, got a free breakfast after explaining the whole issue at CB and then went to Cedar Point. Avoid CB!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank hyperrman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

I would book this hotel again only for the idea that if is raining and miserable outside you can keep the kids relatively happy with the water park. It's expensive, the food is blah and overpriced and in general you need to be prepared to feel overcharged for everything.
Rooms were clean, beds not all that comfortable and it seemed like an old hotel slightly upgraded/rehabbed into a "resort".

• Stayed October 2012
Morgantown, West Virginia, United States
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Halloweekends is an annual visit for us and a small group of adult friends. We also visit Sandusky several times throughout the year with our children to enjoy the waterparks as it is only a 4 1/2 hour drive for us from WV (As a matter of fact we are staying at Great Wolf this weekend). Cedar Point is always an enjoyable experience, the park is always clean, the staff very friendly, and the fast lane is a great addition for those of us who do not care to spend the extra to improve our visit. I was very surprised that such a wonderful amusement park is part of a company that operates such a poor quality hotel. Our room was (@$199 per night plus all of the additional Cedar Point packages) not clean at all, there were bugs and mildew in the restroom, and a very strong smell of cigarette smoke throughout the room. When we voiced our concerns to the front desk person, who also stated she was the hotel manager she was very inconsiderate of our concerns. We were ultimately "upgraded" to another room which was the mirror image of the first (smell and all) with a flat screen TV which the manager said was in fact the upgrade...? Isn't that the norm in hotels in 2012??? The waterpark wasn't bad as compared to the rest of the very distressed property, nothing like Great Wolf or Kalahari; but not as bad as you would get across the street at Rain (even though Rain is $89 a night in high season). We tried to book at the spa, but when we called Friday they said they were booked for the entire weekend, so I can't really comment on that. The breakfast buffet wasn't bad and reasonably priced, Starbucks coffee was a nice addition, and the gift shop was surprisingly reasonably priced and had brand name items (I forgot my sunglasses at home and picked up a pair of Oakley glasses for $80.. not bad at all). This property is in desperate of need of many upgrades, and seriously lacks in property maintenance. Even with the hour early entry to Cedar Point, we will not be going back.

Room Tip: Don't settle for a bad room because from what we could see, there are several. If you aren't...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jon R

Travelers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

Martins Ferry, Ohio, United States
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I read the reviews before my family went to stay at the hotel and thought that everything that was being said could not be true. We checked in on friday night when we went to our room it smelled bad but did get better the 2nd night,the front counter staff was nice,mango mikes staff was nice,the waterpark was nice had alot of fun there but on monday after i had my spa time I went to get my family who was in the hot tub where there was another couple in there with there child heres where the problem was the older lady that was sitting there watching the hot tub comes in and starts yelling at this couple just because the lady was leaning against her husband what was the big deal itdidnt bother us we were the only other ones there.to get back to the spa the staff was nice but over priced the book said it wouls cost $115.00 but when i went to pay it cost me $145.00 why? I got a message and facial which the facial was great and what i got of a message was nice she only did my back,shoulders,and arms .in my past messages i also got my legs and feet done and it never cost that much. I also got a manicure which was a nice however they did not have a dryer to dry my nail polish.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Troy, MI
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Went this past Friday nite after a day at Cedar point. Front desk a little slow - this is more procedural based than a direct reflection of the staff. Stayed in room 318 (Pelican room). Room was overall clean. A/C unit smelled a little of mold but not that offensive. Beds were a bit on the squeeky side, but not enough to disrupt our sleep. Bathroom was clean. Hotel overall was pleasant, not overly busy. We pre-purchased the breakfast buffet at Mango Mike's. The food was hot and better than I had expected. Eggs, bacon, sausage, french toast, hashbrowns, fruit, cereal, donuts. Don't get me wrong, it's not 5 stars or Michelin rated, but passable for a family resort. I was really worried after reading all of the reviews that we were headed for a disaster, but overall this was a good hotel for a couple of 9 year olds after a long day at Cedar point. Nothing really to complain about.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jewelsedge
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed from 08/30/12 threw 09/02/12 Service desk poor welcoming personal don't look u in the face They don't Listen to you instead their eye on screen when finish registering customer (( he say ooh)) why you didn't tell me what you need from the beginning..
Starbucks Coffe very very nice young lady ( 10am 9/2/12) accidentally  I spilled Coffe all over the counter the first thing she concern about was my clothe she gave me new cup with no charge I offer to clean or pay she refused with big smile ..

Gift shop on the day of my departure one of the girls didn't show up at least till 11: o'clock the lady in the candy store helped us by opening the clothe shop for 20: mins and got what we wants from t shirts all what we wants to do is spend our money there.. But it was nice of her ..

Room service poor very poor we took suite for six adult the next day we came back to suite around 3pm no one been there we had to call for house keeping
Saturday came back to room around 4pm room is clean but only find 4 towels for six adults called front desk as  a paying customer saying six adults!!suite!! The answer was SO you need more towels !?
Then my attitude kicked in and said no I need just enough for six
The impressment came when i heard the person coming from the elevator talking on his radio with the front desk about me I need more towels in room number @@@ i guessed that everyone around heard my story in that floor..
Water park friendly and smiley personal very nice .
Arcade do not go there to win you have to make kids understande if power goes off on any machine especially when they win a big thing it's normal so they don't get disappointed ..
Location is good close to amusement park

I believe there is no supervisors at all or concern of a management ..

• Stayed August 2012
Michigan
Reviewed September 2, 2012

My sister and I and 5 kids stayed at this hotel for 1 night (10/15/11) before heading to Cedar Point. The kids loved the water park. We found it to be clean and fun :) We had 2 connecting rooms and a nice view of the park in the distance. The rooms were clean, and what we needed for 1 night. We requested a roll away bed and it was delivered while we were in the water park. When we returned we found our mini refrigerator (that we had just filled with 6 beers and snacks) was raided. Whoever delivered our roll away bed took 4 beers as a tip! Thief!! Thankfully we did not bring a laptop and had our iPhones with us :(

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family