I don't think I'm alone on here when I say "This place literally stinks". My group consisted of five adults and five children. When I called to book the rooms, they said they had the perfect "suite" for us, but we would need to have two roll-away beds added to the suite in order to accommodate everyone. I was very excited walking up to the room until I realized they had not given me a "suite", they had given me two mediocre rooms with an adjoining door. I walked into the first room and it smelled like rotten fish. I'm not kidding when I say my wife and I looked around the room for about ten minutes trying to find a carcass or something. When I opened up the other room, I was instantly greeted by the smell of stale smoke and what I can only imagine was human feces. I called down to the desk to inquire about the odor and the clerk at the desk rudely said "Sir, our rooms do not smell. The water surrounding the hotel smells." So, I did as any normal person would do and asked for another room "further away" from the smelly water. The clerk said they were totally booked up and couldn't get me into another room. So I asked about the roll-away beds that I had paid an additional $40 to reserve ($20 each). The clerk quickly advised me that they do not allow reservations of the roll-away beds. This didn't sit well with me at all. I looked around in my suitcase, found the email confirmation from when I booked the room and went down to the desk and demanded to speak to a manager. Some kid, who looked to be about 17, came out and glared at me and before I even said the first word to him, he says "Are you the guy making issues for my front desk associates? You do know they're busy trying to help multiple guests, right?"
Needless to say, that did not exactly start our discussion off in the right direction at all! I'll save all the gory details to say that I exploded like a nuclear bomb on the kid. We didn't get our roll-away beds. My kids all had to sleep on the floor and I sat on the phone that night and booked the next two days of our stay at Kalahari Resorts down the road.
NOW THERE'S A GOOD SPOT TO STAY!!!
I booked two nights in the Nyumba Entertainment Villa on the back lot of the resort. The room isn't a room. It's a HOUSE! It's literally a HOUSE! It DID NOT stink or smell like fish. We had a pool table, 9 flat screen HD Tv's, a hot tub, a full kitchen, enough beds for everyone to have their own bed. Room service was amazing! I can't say enough about Kalahari. If you're going to spend a boat load of cash on a weekend getaway anyways, make it worth while. Do not stay at Castaway Bay. Drive a little further down the road and stay at the mother of all indoor water parks! I'm heading over to the Kalahari page now to write about our stay there.
Oh yeah, my wife just reminded me about our breakfast at Castaway Bay. OMG! Their is a JOKE! We stood in line for fifteen minutes because we had so many in our party. As we're standing there, the hostess lady, who couldn't speak a word of English (Engrish perhaps), invites a party of two to their table. I watch as she escorts them to an 8-top table with two open ends on it. Then she asks other people in line behind us if they would be willing to join those folks...She ended up putting 10 people at that table after putting one person on each end...Which is exactly what I recommended the lady do in the first place!!! I tried asking the lady why she said 5 groups of 2 at that table instead of one group of 10 who had been standing in line for 20 minutes. She just smiled at me and said "We have table ready one minute man. One minute, table for you."
Again, my rage got the best of me and we just left. Since I had booked us at Kalahari already, we got in the van, drove over there, checked in early, got a free breakfast after explaining the whole issue at CB and then went to Cedar Point. Avoid CB!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Caribbean meets Sandusky at this ideal destination for vacationers. With its tropical theme, guests at Cedar Point's Castaway Bay feel like they have just landed on an island paradise upon entering this lush indoor waterpark resort. Castaway Bay features 237 hotel rooms and suites including family-oriented units, a 38,000-square-foot indoor waterpark loaded with water activities for all ages, fitness center, 6,000-square-foot state-of-the-art arcade, a craft and child activity center, three restaurants, retail shops, adjacent marina and space for meetings, group events and birthday parties. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cancelon, Priceline and getaroom.com so you can book your Cedar Point's Castaway Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castaway Bay Hotel Sandusky
- Castaway Bay Sandusky
- Sandusky Castaway Bay
- Bay Castaway Ohio
- Cedar Point's Castaway Bay Sandusky, Ohio