Rodeway Inn Cedar Point North
Comfort Inn Sandusky(Sandusky)(Great Value!)
$101
La Quinta Inn Sandusky near Cedar Point(Sandusky)(Great Value!)
$119
$140
$200
$187
Priceline
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I honestly don't know where to start- it was literally one issue after another. First and foremost, their night staff needs better training. It was hard for them to block a single room for 3 nights without running into issues when they have availability. This is alarming. Very basic, early training topic for front desk at a hotel. We told them we'd be arriving late, and that the card on file was not to be used, and that we'd be paying cash on check in. The clerk (who couldn't block the room) asked around when we'd be arriving and such to prevent a "no show" charge on the card (they have to manually charge that). We arrived to see they had precharged the card despite being told they wouldn't. That's a trivial issue, however the card used to reserve it was not my own. The clerk at the desk appeared to be about 16 years old, wore casual clothing, and told me he was unable to change form of payment without calling in his manager (who appeared to be his father?). When the older gentleman came in, he changed the form of payment, and then asked me to "put the do not disturb up so I don't have service", which I feel is a generally lazy way of avoiding having housekeeping staff on for too long. At first I thought this was because we were arriving so late, however I heard him say this to 3 other people during the duration of my stay that were checking in. Apparently having your room cleaned is not the default there unless you make it clear you want service.

We finally got to the room to find that the door does not latch or lock without a very forceful slam. Hotels 101, you need security in your room. A room without a locking door is a mess waiting to happen. If you have to slam the door to make sure it latches, it means you're either disturbing the guests on either side of the room, or risking it not staying latched and having a severe security issue.

From there we noticed in the room there was "lazy maintenance". Paint was speckled all over the light fixtures and bathroom, showing that they just quickly painted the room to get it done with, instead of taking the time to make it look right. The coat/luggage rack mounted to the wall was dislodged from there, and showed a plain rip in the wall. The coffee table leg was fastened in my a loose peg from an apparent previous break, which dislodged when we set something on the desk. This should *not* happen. Lazy maintenance is not appropriate for any hotel.

The bathroom was filthy. Handprints were all over the wall, and there were bloodstains (yes, bloodstains) on the shower curtain. The bathroom window revealed a fairly old looking cobweb, and another plus was finding a brown recluse spider (fiddleback) on the showerhead.

The bathroom's tiling on the floor did not line up to the wall, revealing a dirty row near the wall, and the toilet's tank had a top that didn't fit. All around laziness with everything.

This hotel could be salvageable if they would just put some care into what they're doing, instead it's absolute trash. Not worth anyone's time, and Choice Hotels International should definitely look into this property and see why it's even part of their franchise.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mamoruanime
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Nothing more nothing less. I was well pleased with the room, which was a stopping point between our visits to Cedar point. Nice staff and located near a shopping plaza with all the necessities for groceries etc.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank PederSo
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Stayed Monday-Wed from a Travelocity booking. Decided to add Thursday and they price matched my travelocity price and gave me a larger room. Hotel rooms were basic, AC worked good, close to CP (evil company), and the staff was all friendly and easy to approach. Good for a park visit or business stay, affordable and simple with helpful employees and friendly management.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank shuff37
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Stayed two nights here in July for a trip to Cedar Point. Booked through Priceline at a bid of $45 per night. I saw the reviews of the place which paint it as a nightmare.... but it wasn't quite as bad as anticipated.

The motel is old. Our room had updated carpets, newer headboards and a fresher coat of paint. But furniture and fixtures were showing a lot of wear. The bathrooms are tiny and are in serious need of updating. Lots of holes, cracked tiles, stained grout in the bathroom. The shower stall is rather scary. Walls are thin and you can clearly hear your neighbors in their regular speaking voices.

Hotel was busy. Lots of families. It's close to stores, restaurants and a few minutes away from Cedar Point. Top selling point is the price. It's a cheap place to stay for a Cedar Point getaway. However... having been there once... I wouldn't stay again. Next time I'll just shell out the extra $50 a night for a nicer place.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This was a choice I came to regret...a lot. I picked this hotel based on the cheap rate and reviews on hotels.com which gave it a 3.5. This place has a friendly staff, but that is about the only good thing I can say. My room was not clean, not was it at all quiet. The air conditioner had no cover and was spewing mold and dust into the room. The bathroom had an open pipe on the floor, a good entrance for the bugs I saw. I decided not to risk using the shower or taking my shoes off. After completing a pretty thorough bed bug check and finding none (to my surprise) I tried to sleep in the lumpy double bed with scratchy thin sheets. The "closet" was a rusted metal rack and the TV a 25" old tube model. They advertised a continental breakfast on hotels.com, but to this place that means a juice dispenser and a couple of air pots of coffee in the office. The ice machine was out of order and the pool area was filthy but busy. There are much better options in Sandusky. The Rodeway Inn North shouldn't even be a last resort.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo