“Pleasantly surprised”

Howard Johnson Inn - Sandusky Park N. Entrance
Ranked #24 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed July 23, 2010

We booked a room for 4 nights. After reading reviews, I was a little nervous about the stay. I told my family it would be an adventure. We got to the hotel and I was very happy with the room. It was one of there suites which I would recommend for more than 2. We had 5. The kids were thrilled to have their own beds. The room was clean. It's an older hotel and the rooms did show the age, but it was easy to overlook. Each day our room was cleaned and supplies replenished. The staff was friendly ,& awesome at meeting our needs. Don't let the surrounding area scare you off we had no problems.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed July 23, 2010

We would stay again. Of course it wasnt the nicest place we have ever stayed, but lets get real people. We payed $56/ night. The bedding was clean the bathroom was dated but clean, the air conditioner worked very well. We stayed 2 nights the 1st night was the day we had drove into town so we got there around 6:30 pm we got our luggage in and then went to dinner. Viewed the town went back, allowed the kids to swim a bit and went to bed. The next day we spent the whole day at Cedar Point came back and went to bed. Point of telling you my itenerary being if you are using it for a place to sleep only it is everything you could ever need and expect. Now if your looking to use it as a retreat and stay there all day you may feel otherwise.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Holly B
Reviewed May 24, 2010

This place was a JOKE!! Rooms were nasty, bathroom was not clean and the front desk staff acted very childish! Location was great...but I would not let my dogs sleep there...rooms only had full size beds- after we booked king size rooms...they do not even have a king size room at this hotel. We also had the police called on us because the lady at the front desk said we were bugging her because we would not leave til we talked to a manager- whom we did talk to on the phone- in which she was VERY RUDE and disrespectful when I tried to talk to her about my room and the problems we were having. We were there with a group too- we had 4 rooms and none of us stayed due to how we were treated at the HOJO - NEVER AGAIN!!!

• Stayed: May 2010
1  Thank Corey P
howardjohnsonexpress, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Inn - Sandusky Park N. Entrance, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is very much appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

1) Housekeeping staff received additional training regarding the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

2) Desk staff and management received additional training regarding the courteous way in which they are to treat our valued guests.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will reconsider your decision of NEVER AGAIN and once again choose to stay at Howard Johnson Express Inn Sandusky. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Reviewed March 29, 2010

I stayed here Memorial Day weekend of 2009 with my cousin. I booked the room at the Howard Johnson website for what I thought was a very good price and received an email confirmation of my reservation. All I can say is thank goodness I kept that email! Being a prudent traveler, I called the motel before I left home to confirm the reservation again and was told by the desk clerk that I was indeed confirmed and that I would even be upgraded to a room with a refrigerator for free. However, when we got to the motel we were given a room without a refrigerator but I did not say anything because I really didn't care if our room had one or not. The room we got was clean and the air conditioning unit worked like a charm. The beds were comfortable but at night I was awoken at 3am by the trains that go by on the tracks fairly close to this motel because they blow their horn very loud. Breakfast each morning was free and typical continental fare such as cereal, milk, coffee, and watered down juices. They also provided donuts which were actually very good. Now for the bad customer service experience. When I got home from my trip I checked my bank account and noticed the price charged to my credit card was higher than what I booked on-line. So I called the motel and spoke to a manager who was very rude and arrogant. When I told her of my situation she stated that the price I booked was impossible and that they did not offer rates that low. I also told her my room didn't have a refrigerator and she sneered at me and told me flatly, "Yes there is." I told her to go look in that room to check and that I would hold for her. She declined. After that, I called corporate Howard Johnson and dealt with some fairly nice call center people. I faxed them the email I saved at the price I booked and they refunded me my money. However they initially short changed me on the refund amount owed to me and I had to call them again to get the rest. If it wasn't for this experience I would have recommended this motel as it is very convenient to Cedar Point and priced low. But now I will be looking to other places to accommodate me when I return to Sandusky.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Express Inn Sandusky for your recent stay in our area. I am glad that you were able to enjoy your actual stay with us and that you were able to get your refund.

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is very much appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following actions were taken:

1) Corporate Howard Johnson was commended with the way they handled the situation.

2) The Howard Johnson Express Inn Sandusky was appraised of the nice things you expressed about your stay.

3) The management at our establishment received additional training in the courteous manner in which we treat our valued guests.

I’m very sorry that you experienced this unpleasantness. I hope that you will change your mind and that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Howard Johnson Express Inn Sandusky. I think you will be very pleased.

Reviewed August 2, 2009

We reserved a two night stay to enjoy Cedar Point with my sons. We're not hard people to please, just nice people that respect others. The room smelled bad, we did see little red bugs in the beds (my 12 year old son was bitten horribly), we had to check out in the middle of the night (2:00 am) due to people screaming and getting drunk outside the door of our room. The midnight clerk (Julie) yelled at me because I called to have something done about the party going on outside. She complained that I didn't speak to her professionally. I called twice and politely asked her if something could be done about the noise. No one could sleep, and this started at 12:00am. I tried to deal with it but it got worse and worse. Around 1:30am, I saw that it wasn't going to get any better and I asked her if any other rooms were available. Of course not, she said she couldn't do anything about the noise, she did make them get out of the pool area (it closes around 9:00pm, but they carried the party to the areas right outside of other people rooms.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Carl W

Dear Guests,

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Express Inn Sandusky for your recent stay in our area. I hope you and your
sons had a wonderful time at Cedar Point.

1) Maintenance was notified about the bad smell you noticed in the room assigned to you and asked to look into eliminating the problem. They were also notified about the bugs which you reported and instructed to see to their extermination.

2) The midnight clerk (Julie) was reminded of the courteous way in which we treat our valued guests.

3) Management and desk staff received additional training in seeing to it that our valued guests remember their responsibilities to be thoughtful of their fellow guests.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Howard Johnson Express Inn Sandusky. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Reviewed July 16, 2009

I really enjoyed my stay at the hojo. The staff was friendly and you can't beat the price or location!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 13, 2009

This is the worst place I have ever seen,front desk people and manager were not niceat all. We didn't want to stay and they said regardless we would be charged.Room smelled , bug in ice tray and sheets wouldn't stay on bed Toilet not secured down, shower was slow stream, cobwebs, food, trash, cigarette butts on stairways. Charged $80.00 to much for rooms. Do not stay here.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is very much appreciated. Upon receipt of your review the following steps were taken:

1) Management and desk staff received additional training in the courteous way in which our valued guests are to be treated.

2) Housekeeping staff received additional training in the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

3) Maintenance was notified of the problem with the toilet in the room assigned to you and instructed to see to its repair. They were also instructed to see to it that the shower in that room is operating properly.