“A GREAT place to stay in Sandusky!”

Magnuson Hotel East Sandusky
Ranked #22 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed July 23, 2009

I read all the reviews about this Hotel and found a lot of them to be FALSE! My room was VERY CLEAN. The room was nice, not SMELLY, and the decor was decent. I didn't find any bugs in the room. We stayed in the back of the Hotel in a separate section and I didn't find any of the problems and complaints from the previous reviewers. The swimming pool was clean and very nice to relax by after a day at Cedar Point. The Continental breakfast was just like any other Hotel, small with coffee, cereal, milk, juice, etc. The people who work there were very nice and helpful. Also, I like how close the Hotel was to Cedar Point.

I don't now why there were so many bad reviews, I really found this Hotel a great place to stay and would recommend this place to my family and friends even with kids.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed July 23, 2009

I was very wary after I read all of the reviews on this hotel, but I must say that it was a great hotel for the price! Clean and very friend staff. We couldn't have asked for much more. In fact we stayed at an econo lodge a few days later that was $20 more per night and it was disgusting! We commented that we would have taken the Sandusky inn and suites over that place! Plus it is incredibly close to cedar point. I would have been irritated if I booked a room somewhere else and found out it was 20 minutes from the park!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2009

We (me, my husband and 4 children) were put in the motel outside the hotel. Which was dump. The first thing we noticed was the smell. It had a moldy, musty smell and everything felt damp. The first thing that we did was turn on the air conditioner, however, that didn't help much. We did call and complain about the smell and ask for a room in the hotel and we were told that there wasn't anything available in the hotel that would hold all of us, I inquired about a suite and they stated that they would have to charge us for a whole other room. They did offer to come in a spray air freshener but I'm a person with asthma and declined. The website stated that they had a full hot breakfast but only offered small mini muffins, watered down o.j., toast , cereal and coffee. The pool was nice and clean though.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank slapphappy
Reviewed June 16, 2009

Stayed one night. Very close to Cedar Point, restaurants. Room was quiet, clean and the shower had nice hot water.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 18, 2008

Originally had two nights booked at the Howard Johnson down the street. That particular motel was very disappointing upon our arrival at 11 pm at night. Tired after a long drive, we survived the night. I awoke at 8 pm and went to the Best Western where I was given a friendly morning greeting. I spoke with the manager at the location and he was extremely helpful in getting my family a room by 10:30 AM that morning. Upon arrival back at the Best Western after checking out of the HJ, the manager was there with a key for the room. The room was excellent, everything was where it was suppose to be. The bathroom was orderly and clean with a number of clean towels for us. The room was spacious and a/c was working wonderfully. The manager made our two day stay at Cedar Point very comfortable. This location does care about the customers. We plan on returning each year ( we go to Cedar Point 2x a year). This is the place we will stay. I was very impressed with the service, and manager. Thank you Best Western.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 10, 2008

The first thing we noticed when we opened the door was the air conditioner wasn't on. No big deal. One second later I smelled a wet dog!! No kidding that is what the smell reminded me of!! I immediately began spraying my febreeze...and each time we entered the room the first day. Besides that the room was pretty decent. We had the King suite (room 211) and it was spacious for the five of us. The set up of the room was nice. You can see it if you review the hotel's virtual tour. It's just two hotel rooms with one of the entry doors sealed and a door opening made between the two. There is only one bathroom though, in the bedroom. The king size bed was very comfortable and I was told the pullout queen size sofa sleeper was decent. The breakfast had the usually mini muffins, rolls, instant hot cereal, cold cereal, apple juice and oj. They had a waffle maker where you make your own waffles. Would I stay here again? Yes, that's my plan. The room was affordable and spacious for a large group. Oh yea...the front desk folks were so nice!!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank KMinKs
Reviewed June 20, 2008

My daughters and I rolled into town to spend four days riding roller coasters at Cedar Point. We arrived over Memorial Day weekend and was able to get a room at this property. The room was clean and although the property seems to have been stuck in the 1970's with it's interior design - it was a comfortable stay.

Most of the time I review Trip Advisor before selecting a property, but since we were on the road we rolled the dice and took a chance on the place. I have just read through other guests reviews and am surprised that so many people had problems at this hotel.

First off, our room was clean and didn't have a musty smell. There were some spiderwebs outside of the room around a light fixture and there were quite a few mayflies on the room door, but a non-poisonous spider and some non-biting flying bugs are not going to ruin our holiday. Each and everyday our room was cleaned and the beds made - we had no problem with theft as I learned a long time ago that buy placing a tip (two dollars) adjacent to the hotel directory or phone the housekeepers will not rob you blind and they will also put forth a better bit of effort when cleaning up the room. I don't know what the average hourly salary is for housekeepers, but remembering that these ladies are there cleaning up after you is really appreciated when you leave a small tip.

The hotel offered free breakfast to it's guests - which consisted of cereals, pastries, fruit, yogurt and waffles.

The best thing about this hotel was the fact that they had a coin operated laundry on the site. I was able to get all of my laundry done for under $6.

We found all staff to be friendly and courteous.

• Stayed: May 2008