“Small City Tap House, big city flare!”

Small City Tap House
Ranked #7 of 194 Restaurants in Sandusky
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed August 4, 2014

When each of declared "I got the best thing on the menu!" you know it was good! We all ordered something different, so that we could taste each others, and then nobody wanted to share! The decor is open, lively and spacious. The staff is always moving to serve you. I could not even tell you how many craft beers on tap, so many! The crowd was upbeat and having fun. It was a wonderful night with family. My meal was one I will get hungry for and NEED to go back for more!

Reviewed July 29, 2014

We ate an eclectic array of appetizers, soups, sushi, and other Asian infusion dishes. The beer selection was great. I told my server to pick something local, and I got an IPA that was flavorful and went nicely with the meal.
The menu is a touch confusing, but we got a bunch of different items and they were all good. I won't lie to you, I was a touch worried about ordering Sushi in Sandusky, but it all seemed fresh and tasted great.
The building itself is pretty neat. Some sort of industrial era deal with high ceilings. The decor is plain but efficient and clean. I hate to generalize, but some Japanese based places try to do too much with decorations. This place did a nice job showing off its base, but wasn't over decorated. I didn't use the bathroom so I can't comment on that, but I have no reason to believe it would have been anything other than clean.
It was family friendly and not pretentious. It was a nice mix between tap house and restaurant.
It's far from being a 'cheap' meal, but I didn't mind paying what we paid because we ate 'big' and got lots of variety.

Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

We had heard that Mekong on Route 250 was going to open a sister company in downtown Sandusky and it has finally happened:) This place is located two blocks from the waterfront, has open aired seating, sushi and an amazing assortment of Asian dishes. The decor is really nice, great sushi bar, bar with plenty of unique draft choices, plenty of seating and to glass garage doors that open up to let the lake breezes help you unwind. They have several red leather couches that are set up and I'm hoping the owner rearranges them off to the side to set some tables up for al fresco dining. Maybe even turn the couches parallel so you can see outside. The menu has plenty to choose from. We ordered the pan seared pork dumplings and they were cooked perfectly. Great ginger dipping sauce to boot! We then had the dynamite roll off the sushi list. Tuna, wasabi and jalapeño hit the spot!! We were told one of the sushi chefs from Nagoya is now working here:) It's worth coming back here next time just for sushi:) we split the beef pho and the spring roll chicken noodle bowl. They were both served piping hot and bursting with flavor!! The server was super friendly and even split our food for us prior to bringing it out!! It makes me happy to see a restaurant that isn't a chain draw lots of people in and I feel pretty confident they'll be sticking around for awhile!! Do yourself a favor and check this place out!! I believe you'll become a regular:)

1  Thank OhioTravelchic
Reviewed July 28, 2014

44 Craft Beers on tap, Sushi Bar, and regular menu. I have been here twice. Have only order off the sushi bar, and tried 4 beers on tap. First time the sushi was really good. Had the spice tuna roll, Tokyo roll, and sea urchin sushi. Second time not so much, didn't care for the jalapeno peppers on the dynamite roll, to over powering. Smoked salmon sushi was not very flavorful. Sushi is on the pricey side. I have had sushi in Toledo that was 25% cheaper and better. Craft Beer is around $5 to $6 on average. I'll will still go back and try something of their regular menu.

Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

The food is great including the offerings presented by the sushi master kha has hired
For those who appreciate great draft beers from all over the world you will be pleasantly surprised

Been to Small City Tap House? Share your experiences!