“Not Recommended” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Columbus, Ohio
“Not Recommended”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2008

We were looking for a hotel in the Sandusky area to spend four days. We were traveling with our three sons and my oldest sons friend (3,6,10 yrs old). We first looked at the large hotels with the built in water parks, they were very attractive, but also very expensive. After looking at Trip Advisor, we decided to give The Maples a chance, the cheaper hotel also let us splurge on some other things. First of all, the story on the trains. They run all night long, about every 10-15 minutes. They are extremely loud and blast the horn all the way thru the crossing which is only about 200 yards away. Our first morning, everyone was a bit grumpy. The noise mixed with the horrible mattresses and very hard pillows really made it difficult to get any rest. We had two rooms that were seperated by a bi-fold door. The back bedroom had two twin beds and one full size bed. The front room had a full size bed. There was only one TV located in the front bedroom. This resulted in issues between the older kids and the younger ones with what to watch in the evenings. The Pool is nice, with only one problem. It is not kid friendly, it is about 4 feet on one end and 9 on the other. Not much fun for our 3 and 5 year olds unless we held them. They did not spend much time in the pool. My oldest son and his friend enjoyed the pool. For one night, it would have been ok. For four days with six people in this sized room was just too much. We ended up leaving after our third night, we were heading back to the hotel after a long day visiting some of the islands on Lake Erie and decided to make the 2 1/2 drive back to Columbus rather than spend another night. I am glad we did, we finally got some rest after getting home about 1:00 AM. On the bright side, the staff is very friendly and the room was clean. Next time I will shell out the dough for the name brand hotel, at least then I will be the only one complaining.

• Liked — Location to Cedar Point and Ferries to Islands
  • Disliked — Noise from the trains, bad mattresses and pillows, only one TV with a double room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2008

We stayed at the Maples Motel August 1-3. We arrived in the early evening on Friday and after check-in went directly to the pool! The pool was very clean and inviting. We even swam Sunday morning before we checked out. The owners were very nice. They offered to let us check out but swim until we wanted to leave as there were two public bathrooms we could use to change in. We didn't take them up on this but it was very nice of them to offer it to us. I wish we would have planned a day at the pool but we didn't. We have been to Cedar Point quite a few times, twice having stayed on the premises, but this time we didn't want to pay that price again. We were very happy with the close proximity to Cedar Point and not having to pay all that $$$ for Hotel Breakers, etc. Maples was wonderful for what we needed and I definitely hope to be back next year. The owners were so friendly. I just can't say enough about our stay. We LOVED LOVED LOVED it.

• Liked — Friendliness
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2008

We agree with everybody else that this was a good hotel. The pool was clean and fun. The train wasn't so bad. The air conditioning didn't do the best job of cooling off the room, but it got cool enough at night to sleep with the windows open and it was quiet outside. Except for the train, previously noted.

• Liked — the staff, and free doughnuts. and the pool. plus-color tv!
  • Disliked — the train, the old air conditioner.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2008

My husband and I took our visiting 8 yr. old grandson to Cedar Point.

Based on the number of positive reviews on this site I decided to book a room at this motel.

I called the motel directly. When I booked the room Joan (owner) made it very clear that the property was not the Hilton and if we expected that type of room, don't book it. She also told me that the property was located next to a train track and there could be a noise issue but that they offered ear plugs. Reviews on this site led me to believe train noise would not be a problem, and I went ahead with the booking.

Joan told me that they were completely booked but had just had a cancellation. (I reccomend booking in advance as the place was completely full each night.) She did not have a double room available, but would be happy to place a roll-a-way bed at no extra charge.

Upon arriving at the property we were amused to see the the sign had the 'Color TV by RCA' signage, very nostalgic. The grounds were nicely kept and although we did not use it, the pool looked clean and inviting.

The room, #10, was very clean. Specifically ,the bathroom was spotless. The roll-a-way bed was in place, there was an in-window air conditioner that worked fine. The bedding was clean and fresh. There was a chest of drawers, a color tv (not an RCA, lol), with remote and a small table with 2 chairs. Very cozy. No fridge but I guess that comes with a double room.

Negative - TRAINS, TRAINS, and MORE TRAINS! We arrived on a Thursday, and I forgot to request ear plugs at check-in. My mistake.

The property is located directly across the street from an intersection with tracks going both ways, and the trains are required to blow their whistles prior to reaching said intersection. And they do. Really Loud. And Long.

On Thursday we got no sleep. We finally started counting and there were, this is a low estimate, around 40 trains between the hours of 10:30 PM and 7:00 AM when we finally gave up. The average was about one train every 7 to 12 minutes, although we did count 3 trains in 9 minutes. My fault, I forgot the earplugs.

Friday night I went to the office and spoke with Wanda (Joan's sister and a lovely woman), and requested ear plugs. Wanda was horrified that we didn't sleep and apologized for the noise, I assured her it wasn't her fault.

Wanda told me that she did not even notice the trains anymore and assured me that we probably wouldn't notice it anymore either. She was right. We used the ear plugs which muffled the sound and slept well. GET EARPLUGS AT CHECK IN.

The bathroom while very clean, was extremely small with a tiny (child size) sink and a narrow shower stall. The sink handles required being 'held on' for water and my grandson needed help to wash his hands, brush his teeth. The shower head needs replacing, it sprayed everywhere.

The curtains are very thin and do nothing to muffle sound. Heavily lined curtains would be a big help.

The only complaint I have is that on Friday morning I put my grandson in the shower and sprayed him down with sun block. This made for a somewhat slippery shower floor, even after I rinsed it. The shower was not cleaned that day nor was it cleaned the next day.

Positives -

Clean, pleasant area, convenient, really nice people.

The roll-a-way bed was very comfortable for my grandson.

They offer complimentary coffee and donuts in the office in the mornings, as well as an assortment of candy and nutri bars for sale.

The ice machines were always full and the soda machine offers cans or bottles of Pepsi products and $.75 and $1.25.

Very convenient to the Parks and shopping.

NOTE* - Upon check-in, Joan asked if we had our Cedar Point tickets, which we did (2-Day AAA big discount), planning on Friday and Saturday. She then offered us 1/2 price tickets for Kalihari Indoor Water Park. As we had no plans, we bought them. Great Place! If she still has them, buy them. We were there for 7 hours, our Grandson LOVED it!

FINAL - We enjoyed our stay, specifically the cleanliness and friendliness and genuine caring of Wanda and Joan, and we will definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Cleanliness, Friendliness
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank drdonn59
Loveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2008

Simplcity at its BEST. Nice clean room, very attentive front desk person by the name of Wanda (family member). The only drawbacks were the curtains are very thin and the bathroom faucets must be held on. Personally I thought the train traffic added a nice touch to the place. Just gave it some sort of assemblance to a time when life was much more laid back. Even though we did not get to use it I observed that the pool was very clean too! If your looking to turn back the hands of time to a more traditional place to stay the Maples would be that place.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — curtains, bathroom faucets
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2008

Great place/location for the money and the owners were so nice and helped you any way they could. Down fall---right near railroad tracks. But all the hotels on that road were and for the cost it was worth it!!

• Liked — Nice and decent stay for the price!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mrobin03
East Central Wisconsin, on the shores of Lake Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2008

Took the advice and trusted the reviews of the places to stay in Sandusky, and it worked out wonderfully for us!

Maples Motel is an old motel in Sandusky. Decor is from the early 70s. But don't let that scare you! It's kinda like staying at your grandma's house - out of date, but clean and safe. I was amazed that even though everything was old it was very, very well-kept and clean! Our room was cleaner than rooms we've stayed in at places built less than 5 years ago! A nice touch was the refrigerator in the room.

We arrived late at night, so we called ahead and they had the key on the door for us, so we went right into the room and went to bed. Actually forgot to register until it was time to check out!

The staff was very nice and friendly! Someone had left their swim towels and suits hanging on the chain link fence by the pool, and it had rained (a lot!) overnight. Staff asked if it belonged to us and offered to toss it in the dryer. The outdoor pool area was very nice also.

All in all, a nice place to stay if you're looking for somewhere safe and clean to stay while you take in Cedar Point with your kids.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family