“A delightful surprise, thank you for a wonderful stay!”
Review of Maples Motel

Maples Motel
Ranked #15 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

My fiancé and I were looking for an inexpensive room with a convienant location. We made a trip to Sandusky to check out a sailboat we recently purchased. I found this motel on trip advisor and decided to give it a shot. As I read, the owners were very hospitable and gracious. The motel is very close to cedar point and other local attractions. It is very Nostalgic and charming. The trains didn't bother me, but if you are a light sleeper, they have earplugs in the office. The rooms are dated, but exceptionally clean and comfortable. There is also beautiful farmland surrounding the property and a nice pool. If you want to stay in a clean, comfortable room for a great value, this is the place. If you are looking for upscale accommodations, this is not for you. I highly recommend Maples! We will be back.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Rvetter2013

Reviewed September 17, 2013

If you're going to stay here, you do it for the nostalgia, not for the amenities. We loved it! While driving there, our surroundings were looking more and more rural, and I joked to my husband, "Is this place in someone's backyard?" It literally is! The little motel is 90 years old and the office is in the back of the owner's house. Steve, the owner's son, took great care of us and even chatted with us for a bit when we arrived (since we're big talkers). He's friendly and accommodating. The rooms are tidy and pleasant, though a bit quirky (our shower door didn't like to stay closed and there are trains that run across the street all day and night). Also, there's a little nook in the room that was the perfect size for our toddler's travel crib. Steve had coffee and donuts for us in the office the following morning. We'll definitely stay again if we're up visiting Sandusky/Cedar Point again!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 1, 2013

My boyfriend and I came down to Sandusky for our anniversary to go to Cedar Point, and we really couldn't afford much. I work for a major chain hotel, and even with the discounts I was offered, nothing beat the price and hospitality that the Maples has. I was a little hesitant on staying here because I had never even heard of this place before TripAdvisor, but I can say for both my boyfriend and myself that this place met all of our expectations. Jo and Steve were by far the best host and hostess I have ever encountered, and Steve was even so kind as to let me use his microwave in the house for some mac and cheese. Not only that, but he also guided us on how to get into Cedar Point via the scenic back route, which was not only beautiful, but TRAFFIC FREE! It's very conveniently located, and yeah, there is a train literally a stone's throw from the motel, but I live in a town where the backyard is an Amtrak railway, so neither of us even noticed, unless we were getting held up trying to get across the tracks. The breakfast in the morning, no, it's not some five-star buffet, but it's quick, yummy, and easy on the belly when you're going to be flipping, twisting, and zooming through the sky all day. Steve and Jo did a wonderful job with our stay. The room we were in was very retro. Orange molded chairs that look straight out of a 60's TV sitcom, twist-and-hold faucets, retro bedspreads, and the coolest lighting fixtures you could imagine! The pool looked like something Marilyn Monroe should have been modeling next to. It was great! And not only all this, but Steve also gave us great pointers for local attractions and food, as well as coupons! I guess what I'm getting at is, if I ever was to recommend somewhere for a person to stay in Sandusky, the Maples will forever have my vote!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Alana S
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Maybe it was our room (#8), or maybe I'm too picky, but the only thing that I can rate this a 5 on is the pool. The rooms are cheap, so I knew going in that they would not be the best. The wallpaper was in terrible shape and dirty. The American Pickers would have loved the shower faucet as it had "patina". The floor needed vacuuming better and the sheets had some minor stains. Okay - that's the bad. On the good side, there were doughnuts and fruit for breakfast that were very good. Even though the mattress had a slope in the middle, I actually slept good, and the owner was a sweet woman. I really was hoping for a better experience because I love pulling for local businesses, but unfortunately, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pam S
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We recently spent a weekend at The Maples Motel. This was the third year for us to stay there. There were 6 people this year and we had a wonderful time. From the moment that we booked our stay until we left, it was nothing but perfect. The other couples were amazed at the hospitality we were given. Jo & Steve are two of the most caring, thoughtful, and compassionate people. Yes, the train is LOUD but we sat by the pool and enjoyed every moment of our stay. Definitely a KEEPER! Four of us are returning in two weeks for the Tall Ships Festival at Put-in-Bay and would stay no other place but The Maples Motel. See you then, Jo & Steve...

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sharlene G
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I had to stay in Sandusky when I took my daughter to Cedar Point to work for the summer. I didn't want to spend a fortune to stay the night, so I checked TripAdvisor for hotels in the area. And I found this WONDERFUL gem of a place. I can only speak for my room but it was a wonderful experience. The bed was very comfortable, I had a nice hot shower in the morning and I even enjoyed the cable TV. The only drawback is the train. It did wake me up a couple of times in the middle of the night but that's only because there is a crossing right across the road. If the crossing wasn't so close to the motel, it wouldn't be a problem. And this is NOT a reason to fault the motel. (They don't make the trains run thru the night!)

I have to agree with the review by "bparker44". That review was spot on. I read several of the "bad" reviews and the nick-picky reasons for giving this amazing motel less than 4 or 5 stars made me laugh. Please remember - this is MOTEL. That means you park outside of your room and it's not a high-rise, multiple roomed building with an elevator. It's like the kind of places I stayed in with my parents when I was a little girl. It reminded me of the vacations we took as a family back in the 60's. I loved staying here. I'm planning on going back in a few weeks.

Please don't believe the reviewers who said the place was dirty. The staff does a wonderful job of cleaning the rooms. And if anyone complains about bugs, especially spiders, well - you are staying very near the water! And it is Ohio in the summer!! I don't know too many hotels that can keep out spiders and moths in the summer.

I very much enjoyed staying here. And my daughter who didn't stay, but did see my room when I checked in, did tell one of her friends who was going to Cedar Point and asked for a recommendation for somewhere to stay, gave them the name of the Maples Motel to stay. And they did and loved it also.

Lastly, I was very much impressed with the owners. I spoke to Joan when I checked in and out and she's the friendliest innkeeper I have ever dealt with. And I have stayed in a lot of motels and hotels in my many years of traveling.

If you want to spend an arm and leg to stay in Sandusky after going to Cedar Point (where you will really spend an arm and leg) you can stay at one of the cookie cutter hotels in the area! But if you want to have a very nice place to stay after CP or any of the other attractions in the area and still have some money in your pocket - stay at the Maples Motel!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank megan306
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I absolutely love the Maples. It is my favorite place to stay when I stay near Cedar Point. I tend to spend more time relaxing at the hotel, taking in the beautiful scenery and the chirping birds than I do at the park when I'm here.

I only live an hour and 20 minutes or so from Sandusky, but I will make it a point to spend some time at the Maples a couple of times a season. I brought my girlfriend here for her first time this year, and she fell in love with it, too.

I'm not going to lie about the accommodations, they're old - straight out of the 1950's old, but they are immaculate. The cleaning crew at the Maples is second to none. I've stayed in expensive hotels in Las Vegas and even Sandusky that can't even compare to the cleanliness that I've found at the Maples. It's like stepping into a time machine, and going back to the way roadside motels used to be.

I've been staying here for years, and Joan (and Daisy, the little brown dog) always recognizes me. She'll ask me about life, and chat with me for a few minutes when I check in, and she's always available if you need her.

Coffee, donuts, and healthy breakfast granola bars await you in the morning in the office, and you can swing in the hammock, sit under a tree, or by the pool and feel the breeze while you sip your coffee and munch a quick breakfast snack. It's a great way to start the day, and feels more personal then a continental breakfast at a larger hotel.

If you're a light sleeper, bring earplugs or noise canceling headphones, because there are train tracks right across the street, but it adds a certain element of charm that I really don't mind.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends