“Nice place, great owners”
Review of Maples Motel

Maples Motel
Ranked #15 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stayed overnight for Pedal to the Point. Rooms were reasonably priced, clean, and comfortable. Pool was nice. Overall atmosphere was great. Owner was super nice and helpful throughout our stay. This motel met and exceeded my expectations. I will definitely plan to stay again the next time we are through Sandusky.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 6, 2013

I'd used tripadvisor and AAA to find the best rated, yet least expensive place in the Sandusky area, and this was it.

We called when we were on the way up from Columbus, and our reservation was taken over the phone. Due to the late hour of our arrival, our key was left for us in a magnetic box. The owner, a wonderful woman named Joan, lives on the property, and the office is in the back of the house. The place was precious from the moment we drove up. It looked and felt 1950s. When we entered the room, it was VERY clean. There were three chairs, a table, and a mini-fridge, and wasnt cramped at all. The keys are still actual door keys, not the slide and swipe that newer establishments have.

Before heading out to Cedar Point, we checked in at the office. There was coffee on, and the donuts were from a place called Jolly Donut in town. When we were finally able to see the surroundings, theres farmland on two sides.

We stayed for two nights, 7/31 and 8/1. The only possible 'bad' thing about the Maples is the train. It runs through about every hour or so, so it seemed like. It woke me up a few times during the night, but come to find out that was mostly my own fault, because we'd left the bathroom window open. The second night with that window closed, it was much quieter.

It wasn't until several hours after we checked out that my husband realized he'd forgotten something in the room. We called, and they had it in the office for us! We just had to swing back by on our way out of town.

The Maples was a great stay. Miss Joan was absolutely the best hostess! Oh, and the "color tv by RCA" logo on the sign? Its on the back of the tshirts, too!! This will be the only place we stay when we go to the Sandusky area.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank elaineb9000
Reviewed August 5, 2013

My husband, son (10 yr) and I along with my sister and her son (10 yr) stayed at this hotel. We usually stay in 4 star or above hotels. I read the reviews and for the price this seemed like the best option. The owners where very friendly and helpful. The train was loud, but my husband and son slept thru the entire evening. My sister and I where texting back and forth choo choo most of the night. My family stayed a second night and I slept thru the train. The place was clean and the 50ish vibe was fun. We would stay here again the next time we go to Cedar Point. My son liked that he got a donut every morning and my husband liked coffee that he did not have to make. The pool was clean. We stayed during a pretty cold week in July and the pool was a little cold, but once you got in it was fine. I actually prefer my pool to not feel like bath water. It was a great over all experience for all of us. It was very close to Cedar Point and once you got out of the traffic from closing it was very close.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 26, 2013

My husband and I usually stay in a range of hotels from the typical 3 star Best Western to the 5 diamond 4 Seasons resorts but we are not loosey goosey with our money. When I booked Maples I did my research because I could not understand the outrageous prices at some of the local resorts which were accompanied by bad reviews. The singular point of this trip was purely to spend every waking minute at Cedar Point Amusement Park, we didn't want a cushy room to stay up watching movies etc. We arrived on a red eye and were already exhausted. We were greeted by the very friendly owners who had been honest from the get-go saying this was not some fancy hotel, she offered ear plugs for the train to which I declined as we live in a loud downtown neighbourhood and are used to noise.
The rooms are fine. It's an older motel, the odd peeling wallpaper section or stained carpeting adds character. The place is a bit less than what I would consider to be my usual minimum standard so to feel comfortable I did a thorough check of the room and found it to be as clean as an 80 year old room can be. There were no bugs I could see and no obvious dirt that could have been mopped up. I felt 100% happy and comfortable with my choice and being as exhausted as we were we slept fairly well, mainly because we were close to being unconscious.
BUT if you are not used to a lot of noise or are not comfortable wearing ear plugs the trains are very, very, VERY loud. I actually broke down laughing because it was so loud it was comical. I thought the train was coming through the room because it has to blow its whistle as it passes the crossing just outside the hotel. But, in all fairness I read the reviews and was warned by the owners about the trains and because I was so tired I slept through most of the whistles throughout the night (about once an hour) but if I wasn’t so exhausted from travelling and Cedar Point fun during the day, I would have been tired after a night of train whistles.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Amber_in_Van
Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I took our three children, 9 10 and 11 on a road trip to Cedar point. When we arrived at the Maples we were very warmly greeted by the owners. At first glance I could see this was a motel from an era gone by of roadside places to stay run by families, not faceless companies. Our hosts fulfilled our every need as well as letting us in on helpful hints to make our stay in the area more enjoyable than we expected. We stayed in two different rooms over the week only because the larger room wasn't available when we were planning to arrive. We were offered the larger family room as soon as it came available though. Both rooms were clean and comfortable. The furnishings were older and more fitting to the hey days of these older motels but everything was in great condition. The beds were very comfortable and the a/c kept us cool during a very hot and humid week. The rooms also had TV and an ice machine just a few steps outside your door. After a long hot day at Cedar Point we were all happy to jump in the pool which was well kept also. The kids played basketball and had a lot of fun running around the large well kept property. I won't tell you this place is the picture of perfection and if you're looking for the Plaza hotel this wont be you're thing but if a stay at a clean well kept piece of Americana sounds appealing than dont miss this one, make a reservation as soon as possible. And by the way Steve, the kids talked about you for days. Thanks to you and Joan for the great stay.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Ontheroadagain6575
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed at the Maples for two days in the midst of a heat wave, and it was just right. We got two rooms, and the wife, three kids and dog all were happy. Everything worked, and the rooms were clean. the pool was very nice, and the mother of the owner was very pleasant. She was like a grandma to my kids. The train didn't wake me at all. A real success!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The Maples is a seasonal family run place. They have cabins and a regular motel. I chose to stay in the cabins as it was not going to be too hot, and it was just a quick overnight stay. So note the cabins do not have AC. They warned me that the bathroom needs updating, and it does. But I did not expect a lot as I chose the cabin. I know I would not choose a cabin on a warm night, but I just love the entire vintage setting of this place and I'm bummed this place is seasonal, as I would definitely like to stop again when I travel through town as it is a nice stopover point. Back to the cabin: Like any cabin, it is simple and old, but they do make sure everything is clean.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo