“Ok stay”

Ranked #17 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Kima720
“Ok stay”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Little Mom n Pop Motel great location to Cedar Point right down the rd. Rooms were outdated but clean. Pool was nice we didnt use it we got in late night and left early. Owners were super friendly Overall would and will stay again. Safety is a big issue and we felt safe there. We had a family room 6 of us had room 1 with 2 dbls n 2 twin beds that was convinent.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Mansfield,Ohio
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Reminded me of the old motor court style motels I stayed at as a kid in the '60's.Liked the old Rambler in the lot which I was told is still drivable.Room was clean.Liked to be able to open the windows.Older,yes,but the owners very friendly.The donuts were great.Wife and I looked for a cheap,nice motel and this was it.If you like the simpler times,this is the place.Would recommend to anyone looking for an economical motel.Would definitely stay there again.Loved the old sign.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tom H
Bedford
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Trains were a non-issue for us. Yes, they do come through late at night, but they don't blare on the whistle. I never heard any more than three short blasts. And the train sounds literally disappeared after less than half a minute.

In terms of the decor and size of the room, it was like staying in the spare bedroom of a relative. Maybe not the most modern, but comfortable and clean.

We'll be back!

1 Thank DRKellogg
Miamisburg, Ohio, United States
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I want to thank the owners of this Motel. Tonight my Son and his Fiance and all 3 of my Grandkids checked in right in the middle of a tornado warning. She shuffled everyone into her basement and the kids actually had a ball with all of the other kids that were staying there. I was terrified but now that I know they have shelter and such great people to help them out, I am just glad they picked the Maples to stay.

2 Thank Rottenest1
Niagara Falls, New York
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I found this motel here on Trip Advisor and booked based on the mostly favorable reviews. Our whole family agreed that another trip to Cedar Point was in our future AND that we would need to stay at The Maples Motel again. The motel itself is very centrally located between two business districts and not far off of the interstate. It is only 1/4 mile from the less crowded back entrance to the park. We breezed right into the parking lot! The owner is very friendly and she makes you feel welcomed without being intrusive. She is very knowlagable about the area and is willing to share information whenever you need it. We styed in the family room. It was so very nice to not be right on top of each other. There were two TV's, one in each room. The AC worked wonderfully. The pool was immaculate and our girls spent over 3 hours swimming when we first arrived. Are the rooms dated? Yes. Are they clean? Yes, very. I saw not one bug or spider. The motel does not claim to be anything other than what it is. Any complaints I've seen seem pretty petty and minor compaired to the great hospitality we recieved for our two day stay. When we go back to Cedar Point we will stay at The Maples Motel again. Oh-and the train-it's not that bad at all. Can you hear it? Yes. If you aren't a Prima Donna though it won't be that large of an issue for you.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Virginia749
Yorkville, IL
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Booked this Motel based on the overwhelming positive reviews. The Good: 1. Great rates for the area. 2. Close to Cedar Point. 3. Nice outside area to relax by pool. 4. Natural area to walk to from property. 5. Very accommodating service. 6. AC worked well.
Now the not so good: 1. A little dated smelling. 2. Spiders above shower. 3. very small bathroom...had to rest arms on sink while on the pot. 4. Most importantly---the TRAINS. This must be the busiest stretch of train tracks in the US. I am not joking. from 10:30 pm to Midnight on a Tuesday night the 7 trains went by all blowing the horn directly in front of the Motel. I heard them all night...some a minute apart.5. Could have been kept cleaner...not filthy..not spotless.

I liked the Motel end of it...but the trains are HUGE issue. If you are able to sleep directly under the AC unit...you might sleep through some of it.

That said...for 1 night...you might want to take a chance to stay here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ilaudio
Reviewed June 18, 2012 via mobile

The Maples saved us. It's a long story but after arriving in Sandusky with reservations made though Priceline we found our Hotel to be unacceptable. We quickly packed up and headed for another hotel only to be meet with a similar disappointment. With the fear of our entire trip being ruined we turned to trip adviser. After reading the reviews of the Maples we decided to try one more time. The Maples turned out to be exactly what we needed. Clean friendly and a perfect location for our plans at Cedar Point and Put-In-Bay. There wasn't anything special or fancy about the rooms. A simple bed and a small bathroom, but it was clean. The Train issue could be a problem for some they did seem frequent. My Familly and I slept right through them. The owners were very nice and personable. The donuts and granola bars in the office were just enough to get our day started. In the end we found the perfect fit for our trip. I'm glad we walked away from the large chain hotels the Maples worked out perfectly for our family.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family