Maples Motel
Comfort Inn Sandusky(Sandusky)(Great Value!)
$84
$124
$111
Hampton.com
La Quinta Inn Sandusky - Cedar Point(Sandusky)(Great Value!)
$89
$140
$106
$170
Groupon.com
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsdonuts and coffeecedar pointthe owner's sonmom and poptrains runtube tvkids loved the pooljoanearplugsgablespark
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The Maples in Sandusky is one motel which transports you back to the 60's! The owner and her son are the most kind & welcoming folks you'll ever meet.
I just love going here to get a break from the fast paced city life.
No Wi-Fi ! Quiet, relaxed atmosphere...just lovely.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank ckodin0859
Reviewed September 8, 2011

Who ever put a picture of a bug on here was being very mean! because this place is very clean and fun to stay at !we really enjoyed our time at the maples motelwe told lots of friends how we was able to relax and enjoy the quietness yes the train is loud ,but it made our stay more special because i love trains and it wasreally unique! the staff is really friendly , this place is family owned and make you feel as if you are family! ,you get donuts and awsome coffee,and snacks in the morning! and cable tv ! and a very clean pool! we will return next year ,"2012"

Room Tip: the cabins are the best i would have to say! and only 4 mins from cedar point taking the back way , with the view of the lake !
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank melissa s
Reviewed September 8, 2011

Attracted by the reasonable rates, pet-friendly policies, and the intriguing comments posted on this forum, we booked a last-minute family getaway at The Maples over Labor Day weekend. (Very few options remained by the time we started looking for a motel.) We fought holiday traffic along the turnpike from the Chicago metro area and finally reached Sandusky after dark. I can't explain it, but somehow between the bustling commercial strip of Highway 250 and the Rambler stationed in the Maples courtyard, we seem to have taken a detour back to the carefree Eisenhower Era. Situated near farmland, parkland, and nature preserves, the relaxed atmosphere of the motel and its grounds seemed to alleviate the stress of our grueling, five-hour drive. Our vacation truly began as we pulled into The Maples.
From its perch on the office windowsill, a cat monitored our arrival with a detached, professional demeanor while the proprietor welcomed us warmly. In spite of our late arrival, she invited us to use the swimming pool, which they kept open a little later than usual for our use. Now, normally I won't allow my loved ones anywhere near a motel pool. All too often, they're just murky repositories for dead bugs, unsupervised juvenile delinquents, and legionnaire's disease. However, one look at the sparkling clear Maples pool, and I hurried into my own swimsuit for a dip. What a joy, after a long, sweltering drive, to float peacefully in the cool water and gaze up at stars in the night sky. More than any other on our trip, that moment seemed to restore my soul.
Somewhat reminiscent of State Park Lodge accommodations, the rooms themselves were very clean and spacious enough for our family of four + dog. It was a hot, muggy evening, and the room was warm when we entered, but the a/c unit cooled things down quickly enough. We routinely travel with anti-bacterial wipes and febreze, but they weren't really necessary here. In the tidy bathroom, bar soap was provided, but, beyond that, you'll want to pack your own personal care items. And although other reviewers have complained about the sinks and showers, we didn't have any problems in Room #25. I think the facilities vary from room to room, so definitely discuss your needs with the staff before you book. Our tub was spacious enough for our two small children to share a leisurely bubble bath. (Again, I have not allowed this at many motels in our experience. Sometimes it's just "get in-get out and keep your flip-flops on!") At 5'10" and 5'9", my husband and I had no problem with the placement of the shower head and could shampoo easily without stooping.
The wall-mounted tube TV delivered the full complement of cable channels with crystal clear picture, and, as some have remarked, may be the only thing in the room to yank you back into the 21st century! (As in "Somewhere in Time") Maybe you'll be lucky enough to catch "Lawrence Welk," "The Donna Reed Show," or a Doris Day movie during your stay. There's a simple dial alarm clock on the bedside table, so pack your digital clock radio with ipod dock if that's what you prefer. And don't forget to juice up your cel, since there are no phones in the rooms. Our table lamp was equipped with electrical outlets in its base, which made for a handy charging station.
Although the furniture was dated, it was absolutely fine. After all, a table is a table is a table. My mattress, on the other hand, did sag a bit, no doubt from years of service as a trampoline for vacationing kids. (I shared with my five-year-old daughter, and we kept meeting in the middle.) It wasn't a huge deal for us, but if you require a firm bed, call ahead and ask if they offer someting with more support.
Part of the purpose of our trip was to pry our kids away from electronic entertainment while touring the Lake Erie Islands. (So, at this point, I'd like to thank the XBox fan who slammed this establishment on this forum. Dude, you sold me on this place in a way you could never imagine. Rock on. Do you have any non-recommendations near Pittsburgh?) For families with active children, the expansive lawns and swimming pool at The Maples are a godsend. (Maybe even moreso for families with inactive children!) Once unshackled from their car seats, our kids can turn a motel room upside-down in an instant--using the phone as though it were a Fisher-Price model, wadding up the bedding, and invariably knocking their skulls on the corner of the nightstand. Not so at The Maples, with easy, immediate access to well-maintained areas for swimming, jumping, and running. Whether seated on the benches outside the rooms, from a chaise on the pool deck, or at the shaded picnic tables, parents will find it easy to keep an eye on young children playing on the lawn or in the pool. Bring along a jump rope or round up other kids for a game of tag. You'd never be able to do that in a Super 8 parking lot!
On the subject of trains: the first horn we heard was pretty jarring, but before long we were actually looking forward to the absurd charm of the trains as they clattered by. They were not as frequent as we had feared. Our room was on the wing of the courtyard closer to the the tracks, so there was no ignoring the trains while we were awake. However, they never interrupted our sleep. Even my husband, a light sleeper who's disturbed by the slightest clink of our dog's collar tags, slept soundly without resorting to ear plugs.
There are mini-fridges in the rooms which you may wish to fill with snacks and beverages during your stay, as there are no adjacent stores or restaurants. (A few miles East along the costal highway, there's an outpost of Quaker Steak and Lube right on the water in downtown Vermillion. Triple Atomic Hot Wings and a Kids' Menu!!) The modest breakfast items offered in the Maples office should satisfy most travellers in the morning. I was so pleased to crunch into a fresh, crisp , locally-grown apple and then bite into a sweet, juicy, local peach. This was farmstand-quality produce, not like the mealy, shopworn disappointments I'd plucked from other motel fruit baskets in the past. The whole family enjoyed choosing our favoites from the array of fresh "Jolly Donuts," and there were individually wrapped granola bars for grab-and-go convenience. Most importantly for many of us, coffee was fresh and plentiful. If you're used to a full, hot breakfast, set aside time for a restaurant meal in town.
At The Maples, we experienced something sorely lacking in the Hotel/Motel industry--namely, "Hospitality." The caring, conscientious attitude of the owners goes far beyond the corporate-mandated civility found elsewhere, and their generosity of spirit was evident throughout our stay. Their neighborliness really sets the tone for how their guests interact with each other which greatly enhances the overall experience. We recommend this motel to travelers who want a change of pace from the mediocre chain hotels with their impersonal service. You'll have a handy home base for all the Sandusky area has to offer, but you'll feel miles away from the traffic and crowds. Our kids begged to stay longer as we prepared to depart, and we promised to return. We're so delighted we took a chance on The Maples!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
11  Thank Square-on-Wheels
Reviewed August 26, 2011

My seven year old son and I came to town from California from August 11th to the 20th. I grew up in Sandusky and remember the Maples Motel from back to when I was seven years old (many years ago). We were there to visit my family and also have a great vacation. Staying at the Maples Motel made it the BEST!

The grounds are amazing, the rooms are clean and just fine, and the pool is fabulous. I have read most of the reviews here and totally agree with all the positive things that people say. Not only that, we made friends with so many great people who were staying there.

I cannot say enough great things about Joan, Steve and all the motel employees!

As for the trains, bring them on! Both my son and I are train lovers. We enjoyed counting the freight cars on a given train, our top number was 166.

If you are used to paying hundreds of dollars a night in a hotel that is newer on asphalt next to car dealerships, bars gas stations, etc., then have at it. If you really want a wonderful place to stay with great ambiance, the Maples should be your choice.

Like I said "Absolutely the Best!!!!"

Jim

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank JimOpfer
Reviewed August 24, 2011

I was saddened by the review from 2 teenagers ,who I'm sure were disappointed because there was no Xbox or basketball court . Joan and her son Steve went out of their way to ensure we had a good visit . We were arriving by train around 5 AM in Sandusky and the rental car place didn't open till 9 AM . They hid a key for us so we could get into our room WAY early , so we could sleep till the rental place opened ! Yes , the room was old and plain , but it was comfortable and clean . We stayed in 2 rooms on 2 different nights ,and both were fine ( our son joined us so we needed a bigger room ) As to the train sounds at night - I am the worlds lightest sleeper , and I slept FINE . My secret ? The world's greatest ear plugs Mack's silicone ear pillows , available at Walgreens and CVS .They run about 6 dollars for 12 ,which is 6 pairs . These are better than foam ,as they stick securely in your ears . They had fresh local peaches ,donuts and coffee . Sure ,they could have milk for kids ,but they don't pretend to feed you breakfast ! Just a snack . For breakfast ,we recommend the Country Diner ,about 5 minutes up the road . Make a LEFT out of the parking lot . Absolutely yummy ! Very reasonable prices too . We will definitely go back to the Maples Motel !

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple