“Sooo Disappointed”

Camp Sandusky
Columbus, Ohio
“Sooo Disappointed”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I recommend you NOT stay here. First of all, I requested a camp site. I was assuming that we would have at least a little privacy. No, there were people crammed in tiny area's. It was more like an overcrowded field with some trees on it. Secondly, we had a sight on 2 roads that had constant traffic and headlights bothering us all evening. Next, they failed to tell us that we were nearly surrounded by huge RV's. Those things are very noisy if you are trying to sleep and these things are coming and going. Next, they have no rules about noise so I was listening to bikers come and go all night (on top of the cars and RV's) which drove about 5 feet away from my tent.

I chose this place because they made it seem like a real camp site when in actuality, it is a field with some trees. I would have rather spent my money on a hotel. I spent all day at Cedar Point and when the park closed, all I wanted was to sit by the fire for a little bit and go to sleep. I actually only got 2 hours of sleep due to all the above.

They said that we would get a complimentary pancake breakfast but they were actually charging per their sign so I didn't even get breakfast.

DO NOT STAY HERE. IT IS A RIP OFF! GO FIND AN ACTUAL CAMP SITE INSTEAD OF THIS RV PARK.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Chris D

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
NY
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I read the worst 15 reviews and the best 15 reviews. So I was very nervous before setting out on our trip. I am happy to report that this place is amazing! You have to remeber you are camping or cabining at a camp ground. The cabins are not luxury cabins they are pretty much a place to rest your head. The camp sites are what what you make of them. We had a wonderful time. My 3 year old son can't wait to go again and hasn't stopped talking about the place. Total we were 5 Adults and 2 little boys and we all had a wicked time. Check out our pics.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank ANTONIA F
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

We have camped here several times when visiting near by Cedar Point. This time we had no reservations until the day of arrival, actually hours before...no problem they got us all set. Then we ended up leaving a day early they had no problem crediting us for unused day at last minute. Great place will visit again!!!!

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank 623miller
Ontario's Highlands, Canada
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We visit Camp Sandusky every year since 2009 in May, and make our way to Cedar Point. They are always friendly, helpful and accommodating. We do not notice the highway traffic! Bathrooms are always tidy! I look forward to going ever year. And if for some reason you are not interested in their Pancake Breakfast, McDonalds is just across the road.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Brandy H
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed October 13, 2012

If you like spiders this is the place for you, they are under the mattresses! The cabins should be sprayed around the inside and out before people get there. Lift the matresses and kill all the spiders and spray insecticide when you get there.
The people that work there were not very helpful, several people left because they would not sleep with large spiders.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank Snickers50207
Lorain, Ohio, United States
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

We stayed on a spur of the moment trip and it was a excellent stay as always. The people are all friendly and willing to help. Bathrooms were clean and the all you can eat pancakes were great. Family friendly and we will def stay again.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Amber W
Massachusetts
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We booked a site here to be close to Cedar Point. Got that!
We knew it was near a major road and there would be noise. Got that!
We hoped the staff/owners would be friendly and the facilities kept up. Got that!
We expected a clean site and a quiet night's sleep...um, didn't get that.

We tent camped here in August 2012 on one of the sites near the front of the campground which had water & electric.

As far as proximity to CPoint this place is quite convenient. But, if you are looking for more a of a "wilderness" feel, this might not be your place. Although there are trees, the McDonald's sign from across the street can be seen from pretty much all over the campground, giving it a very interesting tone. The place is LOUD, in so many ways. It is bordered by Rte 2 on one side and Rte 101 on another. We are city folk and even WE thought the traffic noises were annoying. Or maybe we just have better mufflers where we live? lol

Then there were the people. We stayed 4 weekday nights and every night there was either a party or a fight... or both. Thank goodness we brought earplugs.

Our site was gross. There was a pile of soggy cereal right in front of where we pitched our tent (which I though at first was vomit) and cigarette butts everywhere. Walking to the bathroom I saw similar things on other sites, but I'm not sure this reflects on the staff as much as the slobs that made these messes, because I did see staff cleaning the grounds several times.

A slight sewage smell would waft by our site on occasion. Not sure what that was all about.

There were a lot of spiders in the bathroom, but not nests of them. And they pretty much stayed up high. The bathrooms were clean and the showers good.

One pool was open and it was fine. The bunny "farm" was basically a bunch of little rabbits in a pen for kids to pet.

The pancake breakfast was a nice option if you didn't feel like cooking. The staff was super friendly, both at the breakfast and in the office. They were such nice people that I added a third star to my review :)

Room Tip: Get a site/cabin away from the roads if you can.