“Found bed bugs in the room”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Canton, Michigan
“Found bed bugs in the room”
Reviewed February 5, 2011

Did enjoy the waterpark although I agree with the others that the indoor water park was a little cold. I just want everyone to be aware that I found bed bugs in my room on January 2, 2011. My son alerted us that a "bug" was crawling across the sheet. We killed the bug and suspected that it was a bed bug. Nephew had an I phone and he brought up a picture and we knew... Ugh! Called the front desk and it took more that 30 minutes for someone to come to the room. Nick finially came and asked "What can I help you with?" I asked if he knew why I had called. He replied, "I heard you have a problem with and insect."...........No Nick it is a bedbug, I would not be sitting hear crying if it was an insect. This really was upsetting and we spent far to long standing in the room as we did not want to sit on the bed or really stay in the room any longer. We were upset, stressed out and just wanted to know how we could prevent bed bugs from infesting our home. Amy from housekeeping came and was helpful. They laundered our clothes and put them in plastic bags. We ended up leaving 1 piece of luggage and 2 gym bags in the room because we were affraid to bring them in our home . They initially said they would not comp the room until they had the bed bug confirmed from the exterminator, but they did comp the room before we left. I called and spoke to Nick and told him the things that Kalahari did well and bad in this experience. I told him I would like to have my 1 peice of luggage and 2 gym bags replaced (not expensive about $150 total). He told me he would talk to Mr. Shanley and then get back to me. He said he was going to offer me a "free night for the future" but he did not follow up with me with a response and does not return my calls. I truly did not want the free night as I just do not think I could stay there again. It is not even so much that they did not replace my bags as I realize we may have different ideas on what is fair in this instance, but he could have had the guts to call me back and tell me "no." I have since have friends who have planned stay and called to check on bed bugs and they were told that they did not have a case since July......well that is a lie!

26 Thank sw313
KalahariResortOhio2, Guest Relations Manager at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, February 18, 2011
We appreciate your feedback on the positive and negative aspects of your stay. Our continual training program and intensive inspection process puts us at the top of our industry in combating a challenge that is affecting many institutions and public places such as apartments, dormitories, hospitals, schools and office buildings. As discussed on our subsequent calls, we hope to have the opportunity to have you return in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (847)
ontario
Reviewed February 4, 2011

This was our second trip with extended family and friends, eighteen of us, from toddlers to grandparents. We arrived on a Sunday and it was booked to capacity, but we were patient and check-in was fairly smooth. The rooms were available early and were clean.
The staff was extremely accommodating, friendly and helpful; with that large of a group we had several requests, including one food allergy that they were prompt to address.
We ate at both restaurants, and they were great.
The crowds at the park were intimidating when we arrived, but they thinned out by Sunday night, and on Monday it was much better, fewer lineups.
We had an issue with charging a drink to our room, we were charged for a "top-shelf" (higher price) drink, instead of a "top-shelf" refill. When this was brought to the front-desk's attention, nobody seemed to know who we should talk to; however just before we left, I mentioned it to a staff member again, and he found a manager who looked at my receipts and refunded the entire price of the drink. I protested that I would pay the full price of the refill, but the manager insisted that I should not have had to hunt him down. That was great, because now I would be willing to again purchase the refills, but save your receipts if charging to your room.
However, our trip had one very dark note. I would like to stress that I do not believe the following behaviour is indicative of all Kalahari staff, but this should serve as a warning to families.
My mother, friend, cousin and I lined up for a waterslide. The attendant motioned us forward and then started yelling. My friend was closest and he indicated to her that we should step back behind the yellow line. We did. He then immediately told us to come forward. We were confused and embarrassed, as it was noisy and the green light was on to go forward the whole time. What was with the come, stop, and now go routine??
As we loaded onto the ride, my friend asked him "what did we do wrong?". He just stood behind her and looked into the distance and said "there are cameras". We were even more confused. My mom, who is partially deaf, kept saying to me "what's going on?" He ROLLED HIS EYES at her, and I told him that she could not hear, that she was deaf. How rude.
Then I realized that he was standing directly behind my friend, bumping his crotch against her head. I reached out to pull her away, shocked, thinking "he really isn't doing this in front of people, is he?" She said afterward that she felt him, but there was yelling and confusion, and she was scared to look behind her. It happened so fast; I am ashamed that I didn't jump out and say something, but then he sent the boat down. As soon as we got to the bottom of the slide we reported his behaviour to the staff, and they sent us to a manager. He took down all of our information, and said that there had been several complaints against the attitude of that worker. This was verified by a staff member the next day.
So, that worker was moved off that ride immediately. That's great, but the next day he was in the children's zone. Scary!!
We sent online comments to Kalahari reporting this incident. No one has responded.
We would return to Kalahari as we do not believe that this one sick individual represents the whole. However, we and our children will be on guard against this worker. We will certainly warn other families. If he would rub against a mother of four, what would he do to others?
All of the other staff we encountered were excellent, and they certainly did not feel the need to bring their bodies close to ours. At all. Not even once, when they were helping with the rides. It creeps me out to this day. My friend's husband is looking into Ohio laws (we are from Canada) to see how this is handled in the US.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are pleased that you enjoyed a clean room, good food and found the staff to be accommodating and helpful. As you know the behavior described is certainly not tolerated. While we certainly hope that the situation was some kind of accident or misunderstanding, we took the necessary steps to ensure that this cannot happen again. We look forward to the opportunity to host your family again in the future.
Canton, OH
Reviewed February 4, 2011

I begrudgingly book a two-day stay every year when my kids are on spring break. While the rooms and amenities are nice, I DREAD the waterpark simply because of the freezing temperatures. I wrapped myself in several of their flimsy towels throughout the day just to try to get warm, without much luck. The only relief was the hot tub, ahhh. But then leaving that area made it feel even colder. I don't know why they don't do something about this problem, as everyone i know complains of this.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank michele00410
I am sorry to hear you are cold in our water park. While there are fluctuations, we keep our water temperatures at 86 degrees and ambient air temperatures at 88 degrees. Typically, this variance is comfortable for our guests. I am glad that you were able to find warmth in our hot tub.
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 1, 2011

went there this weekend with my friend's family. the manager upgraded their room to our room type so that we could be next to each other - got our room at 1pm on checkin
rooms are nice and big and CLEAN - bathroom very small - not a problem since we spent all the time in the park - free wifi in the rooms AND waterpark :)
kids had a blast on rides - no long lines - i can imagine it being crowded during the holiday season
one of the kids fell and scraped her knee - received immediate emergency care from a friendly park employee
nice breakfast at great karoo ($12 adults - $ 7 kids)
if you like mexican food - try casa real in san dusky - awesome food
will definitely go back to kalahari

2 Thank Virkes
Cleveland
Reviewed January 27, 2011

We were very disappointed in our recent stay at Kalahari. Our son was finally tall enough to ride some of the "bigger" attractions and to our dismay several were closed due to maintenance. I understand that it was off season, but I don't see how they still can operate and charge people if their expectations aren't met. How do you explain to a child that close to half of the bigger rides were closed? It was awful because you would walk past some of the rides to get to other ones and the slides were dry and not functional. I can't believe that Kalahari wouldn't notify us in advance of the ride closures. I feel like we paid for something and didn't have the experience that we were promised. Very disappointed to say the least and I think we will be visiting other area indoor waterparks in the future.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank shamrockcb
Flint, Michigan
Reviewed January 27, 2011

My fiance and I recently took a trip to Kalahari Resorts in Sandusky, OH. We stayed on a Monday and Tuesday night in January. We arrived to the hotel 3 hours before check-in and our room was ready which was a bonus and the actual process of checking in was completely painless. The room was extremely clean and even passed my fiances check for bed bugs and my overly anal bathroom check. The room was also a lot larger than we had originally imagined and was a pleasent surprise. The safe in our room had been locked in the open position but the staff was more than helpful and maintenance was in our room and fixed the problem in less than 5 minutes. We then went down to the water park, I have read a lot of reviews saying that the water was cold and that you would be shivering inbetween rides. I can assure you though that these people are complaining just to complain, the water was at a luke warm temperature, you werent cold but it wasn't a hottub either, then again a wave pool shouldnt be that hot. The park itself was kept at a warm temperature, one that would remind you of a muggy summer day. On Monday the longest we had to wait for any slide or ride was maybe 15 minutes, and that was for the zipcoaster. On Tuesday the whole resort had cleared out and there wasnt a wait for anything, The park had a ton of lifeguards and though some of them seemed to be bored out of their minds I didnt really mind, no one was outwardly rude and they all seemed knowlegable and answered my questions. We went to the Great Karoo for dinner that night, my burger was cooked to perfection and the waitress suggested a very good wine. We had a couple of drinks at the bar which were extremely good and fairly priced. Everything closed down kind of early due to it being a weekend day, which was kind of annoying so we went back to the room at 10 and just watched some TV. We had breakfast on Tuesday and Wednesday morning at the Great Karoo because they have a breakfast bar which was at an amazingly low price for the spread they provide. We then hit the water park early and enjoyed it just as much as the day before, if not more so due to the none existant lines. We had dinner at The Reserve that night, the food was honestly some of the best we ever had. We then went down into the arcade, they have a pretty decent selection of games, though some of them were out of tickets. We rented a movie that night in our room, for 13 dollars, which was the only price I really had a problem with the whole trip. We left just in time on Wednesday morning because as we were pulling up the car two buses loaded with kids pulled up and I have a feeling the waterpark would of been ridiculous that day. All in all we both really enjoyed the trip and can't wait to go back for spring break with a couple of our friends.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ajackson319
Upper Sandusky, Ohio
Reviewed January 27, 2011

We went with my husband's Masonic goup and stayed 3 nights. We had a blast! I did not know what to expect after a disappointing stay at a different waterpark/hotel in March. The rooms were very cleaned and cleaned every day - very nice to come back to after playing all day. Was just a little disappointed that the giraffes were not there - I Really wanted to feed one! But do understand they need to be kept in a warmer area when it gets cold. My son loved feeding the other animals. Only complaint was that the reataurants and food in general was a little pricey, but it was good. Staff very friendly. I had a problem in waterpark - wave pool - I was trying to get off of my tube when a wave came in and knocked me off, smahing my head very hard on the floor of pool. Staff took care of me - sent EMT over to check me out and make sure I was okay. My 7 year old wants to go back for his birthday - we are planning on it.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family