Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Comfort Inn Sandusky(Sandusky)(Great Value!)
$101
$118
BestWestern.com
La Quinta Inn Sandusky near Cedar Point(Sandusky)(Great Value!)
$119
$187
Priceline
$286
3,917 results
All reviewsthe reservegreat karoohut roomzip linefull kitchennomad roomcandy hutwave poolanimal parkflow riderwater parkafrican queen suiteoutdoor parkvillage suiteivory coastpizzaswim up bar
Reviewed January 27, 2011

We were very disappointed in our recent stay at Kalahari. Our son was finally tall enough to ride some of the "bigger" attractions and to our dismay several were closed due to maintenance. I understand that it was off season, but I don't see how they still can operate and charge people if their expectations aren't met. How do you explain to a child that close to half of the bigger rides were closed? It was awful because you would walk past some of the rides to get to other ones and the slides were dry and not functional. I can't believe that Kalahari wouldn't notify us in advance of the ride closures. I feel like we paid for something and didn't have the experience that we were promised. Very disappointed to say the least and I think we will be visiting other area indoor waterparks in the future.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank shamrockcb
Reviewed January 27, 2011

My fiance and I recently took a trip to Kalahari Resorts in Sandusky, OH. We stayed on a Monday and Tuesday night in January. We arrived to the hotel 3 hours before check-in and our room was ready which was a bonus and the actual process of checking in was completely painless. The room was extremely clean and even passed my fiances check for bed bugs and my overly anal bathroom check. The room was also a lot larger than we had originally imagined and was a pleasent surprise. The safe in our room had been locked in the open position but the staff was more than helpful and maintenance was in our room and fixed the problem in less than 5 minutes. We then went down to the water park, I have read a lot of reviews saying that the water was cold and that you would be shivering inbetween rides. I can assure you though that these people are complaining just to complain, the water was at a luke warm temperature, you werent cold but it wasn't a hottub either, then again a wave pool shouldnt be that hot. The park itself was kept at a warm temperature, one that would remind you of a muggy summer day. On Monday the longest we had to wait for any slide or ride was maybe 15 minutes, and that was for the zipcoaster. On Tuesday the whole resort had cleared out and there wasnt a wait for anything, The park had a ton of lifeguards and though some of them seemed to be bored out of their minds I didnt really mind, no one was outwardly rude and they all seemed knowlegable and answered my questions. We went to the Great Karoo for dinner that night, my burger was cooked to perfection and the waitress suggested a very good wine. We had a couple of drinks at the bar which were extremely good and fairly priced. Everything closed down kind of early due to it being a weekend day, which was kind of annoying so we went back to the room at 10 and just watched some TV. We had breakfast on Tuesday and Wednesday morning at the Great Karoo because they have a breakfast bar which was at an amazingly low price for the spread they provide. We then hit the water park early and enjoyed it just as much as the day before, if not more so due to the none existant lines. We had dinner at The Reserve that night, the food was honestly some of the best we ever had. We then went down into the arcade, they have a pretty decent selection of games, though some of them were out of tickets. We rented a movie that night in our room, for 13 dollars, which was the only price I really had a problem with the whole trip. We left just in time on Wednesday morning because as we were pulling up the car two buses loaded with kids pulled up and I have a feeling the waterpark would of been ridiculous that day. All in all we both really enjoyed the trip and can't wait to go back for spring break with a couple of our friends.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ajackson319
Reviewed January 27, 2011

We went with my husband's Masonic goup and stayed 3 nights. We had a blast! I did not know what to expect after a disappointing stay at a different waterpark/hotel in March. The rooms were very cleaned and cleaned every day - very nice to come back to after playing all day. Was just a little disappointed that the giraffes were not there - I Really wanted to feed one! But do understand they need to be kept in a warmer area when it gets cold. My son loved feeding the other animals. Only complaint was that the reataurants and food in general was a little pricey, but it was good. Staff very friendly. I had a problem in waterpark - wave pool - I was trying to get off of my tube when a wave came in and knocked me off, smahing my head very hard on the floor of pool. Staff took care of me - sent EMT over to check me out and make sure I was okay. My 7 year old wants to go back for his birthday - we are planning on it.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 27, 2011

The largest indoor waterpark in the US. There was plenty to keep both me,67, and my granddaughter, 9, busy for the two days and nights. The waterpark was opened as promised, 9-9 and we could go in and out as often as we pleased. The towel service was great. The towels were a little rough but there were plenty of them and the towels dried very well. The life guards were very helpful. They instructed us carefully for each ride. We especially enjoyed the Lazy River Ride and the Zip Coaster. I felt very safe and I was able to do all of the rides that used a mat, tube, or dinghy. There were lifeguards posted at each ride, at the beginning, end and in the middle if possible. All of the equipment for riding was in good condition, fully inflated and checked constantly. Even when the park was fulled with clients, it was easy to get a towel, get on a some ride, get an inner tube or ride a wave without waiting. (Several rides required a wait of 20 minutes at the busiest time, but every one in line was fun to talk with or had interesting stories to tell about the ride.)
Little ones had many activities that looked fun and safe and kept the children under three busy and happy. TIP: do the busy rides in the evenings (7-9) there was no wait.
The best part were the weather conditions -sunny and warm! I never felt a chill when exiting the water. A plus fo old people. We went into the indoor/outdoor hot tub. Outside our hair was cover with snow flakes however we were toasty warm.

The food concessions were well placed and the food was good. The menu choices were plentiful and rich. We savored the Crack Coconut/ Zulu Grille. The pulled prok sandwich was sweet, you could have it with varied toppings and french fries for $7.89.
The cheese sticks were good. But you could tell this was not a place to loose weight.
We went to their fancy restaurant, The Reserve. The food was excellent. Everything was so fresh and delicious. The wait staff was courteous, knowledgeable, present for all our needs and helpful. The desserts were even better with several different chocolate selections using African cocao. The was the Karoo, a casual restaurant, that had an excellent breakfast buffet.
A Las Vegas style game room, no gambling, children's activities, greeted you just before
entering the waterpark. We were able to ignore them , but parents be prepared to drop a few dollars there. Or on the other hand you could fill a card with preloaded funds and the kids could play for a while.
The rooms were large with heavenly, comfortable beds a drying line for wet suits and hair dryer, also lavender lotions and potions to soothe your tired body and hair, complements of the spa.

All in all it ws a great experience with great care from beginning to end. I cannot say enough good about the staff.

Sandusky is half way between Cleveland and Toledo in Ohio and Kalahari offers limo service for a fee to Kalahari. We did manage to see a frozen Lake Erie and Sandusky Bay. Of course, Cedar Point about 5 miles from there offers the largest wooden roller coaster in the world. So summer could be very inviting.
We had so much fun we could return and have more people, more fun, and even more delectabe little treats!

• Stayed: January 2011
2  Thank morgan789
Reviewed January 20, 2011

The Hotel was very busy during our stay, which was between Christmas and New Years. I didn't mind all the people but it was the hotel that couldn't handle that many guests. The wait for the restaurant was 2 hours for dinner and 45mins for breakfast, the line to check in was really long, etc. The professionalism of the waterpark staff and guest service dept is so poor I asked myself if they even had a high school level education. I was told things like "we ain't got that restaurant no more." I called the waterpark manager and left 2 messages and that person never even acknowledged my call. The lines for the rides were soooo long and the workers running the lines didn't have any sense of urgency to move the line faster at all. The Hot tub had a line that we stood in for over 30min, we were never able to use the family hot tub. Which could have easily been solved if the attendant timed the use of the hot tub during the busy time. My family believes this water park has great potential but has fallen short in many ways, so we will not visit again...

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank adgio
KalahariResortOhio2, Guest Relations Manager at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your detailed feedback. We apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay with us. I am discouraged to hear of the lack of empathy you received regarding your concerns while you were at the resort. This type of response is not something that we typically hear regarding our employees. The departments you mentioned will certainly be addressed. We try to ensure that all of our guests have a memorable time and that is not always the case, but without feedback such as yours, we would never know the areas where improvement is needed. Please contact us directly to discuss your concerns further.