“nice not spectacular”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #3 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed August 8, 2007

we just got back from kalahari we stayed one night and it was ok the first time we walked into the waterpark it was so hot and muggy we might as well have went to a park that was outside.
We were there on a tuesday thinking it wouldnt be to busy but we were mistaken the first line we got in was for the big yellow waterslide family ride i bet we waited in line for at least half an hour. It was a long wait we were all sweating and tired by the time we reached the top and then found out we all couldnt ride together as there was four so we split up. We thought that once we got in the water that we would cool off but you really didnt because the they had the water temp way to high it was warm as bath water and thats not what you want to be in when its so hot in the building. We couldnt even use the hot tubs because thay were way to hot for the building also. MY kids are 11 and 15 and
they had more fun in the arcade then the waterpark because of the lines. Maybe when the new edition is completed we might try it again we will have to see at least it will give us more options
for us and the kids to choose from cause my husband cant ride
slides so we will have to see.

• Stayed: August 2007

Reviewed August 7, 2007

After researching a trip for our family with two toddlers we selected the Kalahari. The resort would be perfect; a great destination not too far from home. Our boys, ages 2 and 4, would have a blast.

The park was immaculate and the water park had plenty to offer but we had sooo many mishaps and no one ever seemed to be bothered by it but us. We ordered pizza and was expecting delivery, we waited and waited with our hungry boys. Finally we checked to make sure our phone was working properly and was told everything should be fine. We rang the pub and was told we had not answered our door. The worker hastily requested we try to get the door next time. I tried to explain we hadn't been anywhere but the employee sounded agitated. Finally after 10 minutes or so I called again to make sure our delivery was to the correct room and was told I was mistaken because the directory showed I was in another room. After convincing her I knew which room we were in I was told to go find my pizza because the employee had been at another room while we were waiting. Finally, we had our pizza but was upset by the chaos.

While doing an activity with the children's program we got to do a photo-hunt. This sent children to the arcade, lobby, and to the front of the lobby. These are all very busy areas. I had my boys with me while my husband ran some errands. It was difficult keeping up with them in the areas with all the lights and noise. A man also doing the hunt with us with his three little children misplaced one of his boys. Very easy to do with little ones. I had told him I would help him out and keep an eye out. An employee stopped me and told me he'd lost the boy and I told her that it was difficult keeping up with them in those areas. We were in the registration area and the next thing I knew she was yelling for the man to come and verify I didn't have his child. Needless to say I was sooo embarrassed. This is always a crowded area. Yes, it was good to look for him but she yelled and I wanted to crawl out of there. Upon returning to the hut outside to turn our papers back into the staff I informed the ladies that the man had lost his little boy. The staff acted as if they couldn't believe he'd lost the child and wanted to know how that could happen. I told them it was difficult with little ones and she said hers had known better when they were younger than to misbehave. This incident made me feel judged since I'd just told her it was difficult until my husband had returned to help me. I'd wondered why they hadn't dashed off to help instead of criticizing the man.

The construction started every morning of our trip between 7:00 to 7:10 am. This is vacation and they need to take that into consideration. I told registration about this and was told that many people complain about it. Hearing that many other complain about it did not make me feel better at 7:15 am when my children would be up and cranky.

This is just my trip of 4 days; but it was my vacation this year. No one seemed to be concerned of how the guests felt. Lifeguards were very unfriendly and unhappy. The resort is a wonderful place but not well managed evidently. My family's trip was not awful just not smooth. If you have children they will have a blast.

Reviewed August 6, 2007

My family of five arrived at Kalahari on a Thursday afternoon for a one night stay. Upon arrival we were delighted to learn that they placed us on the first floor and upgraded us to a bigger room (we had booked a Desert Room). Kalahari is larger than Great Wolf, but the way things are packed together it's a bit harder to navigate. Not a big issue.
We enjoyed each of the rides, and the wait was not bad, except for the Family Raft Ride, which is slow to load and not terribly fast moving, but a nice ride for two or three people.

My kids were just a little disappointed that the big bucket was not dumping, but there was plenty of other activity to keep us busy.

We stayed late into Friday afternoon. I was afraid a mob of weekend guests would fill the place, but that never happened, and we were able to ride all the rides with little or no wait right up until departure.

Several of my family members agreed that Kalahari's water is generally cooler than Great Wolf's, but still very comfortable.

As an afterthought we went outside to soak up some sun. My kids ages 7, 9, and 16 were all delighted with the outdoor pool and surroundings.

Overall we were impressed with Kalahari and would go again, especially after they complete the expansion in '08.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank F-14D
Reviewed August 5, 2007

We had originally booked our stay in Sandusky at Castaway Bay but a week before after reading this site, we switched to Kalahari and we are so glad we did. The location was terrific, the rooms, hallways and common areas spotless and the waterparks a blast. We had a 17 year old and a 13 year old. Our 17 year old son would have liked to have had a friend but had fun anyway. We did spend a day at Cedar Point and loved it but the days at the resort were terrific. I was delighted at the food options and available food to warm up in your room or eat in your room. The prices were not out of site and the kids had fun in the arcade. We played putt-putt as a family. We really enjoyed the water park and had a great day at the outdoor facility. The only thing I wished was darkening shades on the windows as the bright sun came in very early. We were on the same floor as the water park and that was nice - we hadn't asked for it. They also upgraded us and dropped the price $20/night so that made up for the $50 cancellation fee at Castaway. The weeknights and days were much less crowded than the weekend.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank NNKate
Reviewed July 30, 2007

I booked a room and specifically asked for it to be on the same floor as the waterpark and as close as possible because I have MS and when I booked it they told me they take those request very seriously and it shouldn't be a problem but they could not promise. Well needless to say not only was our room not ready by the 4:00 check in time but it was on the 2nd floor and 2 wings AWAY from the waterpark and at the very end of the wing so basicly as far away from the waterpark as possible on that floor. Then when I called the manager at the end of our first day because I could barely walk anymore he told me to call him in the morning and he would see what he could do then in the morning he offered me a smaller room closer to the park which was not an option due to me having 5 people in my party. I paid over $1,000.00 for a 3 night stay and was treated like an inconvenience.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank kjaes
Reviewed July 29, 2007

Well, our first visit here was fun but the park was just kind of dirty and had some minor issues, but when we visited in June things were a lot better! Our room was very nice and it was located on the first floor and we noticed the place really improved, flowers and decorations everywhere, the place was very clean and the new additions they are building look great! I can't wait for the rest of the waterpark to open. So I reccomend staying here for sure, it is close to Cedar Point also, so you should consider going there for a day.

Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank DT0wn
Reviewed July 29, 2007

I took my mother and two girls (6 and 12) for three days midweek. I was pretty apprehensive because of the negative reviews this park got but our entire stay was wonderful. Ok I valeted because I read that the parking lot is a mile away, not so. Next time I will drop off and park myself and keep that money in my pocket. Check in was so smooth and quick, I arrived around 3:30 and everything was ready. Staff was friendly, I noticed that everyone made a point to speak. As far as the rates go when you factor what you'll pay per day for a family of four at the park, the room practically pays for itself. We never left the resort we ate at the restaurants and everything was superb. Food is expensive but thats to be expected at a place like that. We especially loved Kahunaville, dinner there was really enjoyable for us and our kids. I can't wait until they're finished with the expansion.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family