“Excellent Waterpark, Hotel room could use some TLC!”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #3 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed April 23, 2010

Overall we enjoyed our first trip to Kalahari. The resort was very large, but the signage was sufficient to point you in the right direction. Our room left much to be desired. We got a great rate of $129/night on a Nomad room & feel like it wasn't worth the price at all. The vanity was sticky as soon I set my hand down on it with my bag. Also, the microwave was dirty from someone else's food & so was the top drawer of the dresser.

Called down to have someone come up to clean it & also noticed some bulbs burned out near the sofa and another near the table. Housekeeping dropped the ball on this one--no facecloths and no bath mat, no blanket for the pull out couch either. Later we discovered the shower head was leaking and shooting water upward & out of the shower. Took 3 calls over 2 days to get it fixed. Lots of nicks and dings on the furniture, the shower surround needed a good cleaning and the caulk needed some bleach.

I try not to be picky but wasn't thrilled with it overall in terms of hotel cleanliness and follow-through. The parents of some of the children at the resort really need to learn to teach their children hotel etiquette. Lots of screaming (and I mean screaming) in the halls, a few kids were using the hallway wall to play handball a few different times over the course of 3 days. Really loud and obnoxious adults talking outside our room at 1AM or so...had to go out and ask them to move elsewhere.

The waterpark was terrific, so much for my 13 year old to do and we did as much as we could & rested in between! Heard from the staff that we were visiting at one of the slowest times of the year--when we have school break in Western NY no on else seems to have it. The hotel was not very full (though our room was smack dab in the center of a large group of friends were came together!) and the waterpark was not very busy. Longest wait was about 20 minutes for the Flow Rider. Got to ride everything numerous times and no concerns about overcrowding or staffing issues.

I would come back but would really inspect my room before unpacking to make sure it was up to my standards.

Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,763)

Reviewed April 22, 2010

What a great place to stay! It was close to the highways, so easilly accessible. The grounds were immaculate. Swans, geese and ducks filled the ponds out front that had giant fountains in them. You cross a wooden bridge over them into another world! Everything is african-themed. The front desk is friendly, the bellhops wear bush gear, the hotel is super clean. Our school vacation was not the same as in Ohio, so we got a free upgrade to the two bedroom suite, two bathrooms, fireplace, patio, two tvs for the same price. Amazing! The indoor waterpark is huge! The tubes for some of the slides even come out of the building then come back in. There is a wave pool, lazy river, a kiddie park, then for the more adventurous...bareback slides, roller coaster, raft slides, mat slides and a bar right in the middle of the whole thing! A great place for teenagers and their parents. The food was great in the restaurants, too. LOVED the candy shop right in the lobby; ice cream and candy anytime!

Reviewed April 16, 2010

I had a business conference at Kalahari so my husband decided to come with me for the night. We went up a day early thinking we might have a nice little overnight stay...wrong. We went up on a Sunday, my classes were on Monday. Let me state, my husband and I travel quite a bit and have stayed in lots of hotels of all prices. Check in was fine. The room however, for the price was not good. The sheets were torn, the bathroom doesn't have a sink in it, it's outside the bathroom and do you really think housekeeping is wiping down the bathroom doorknobs every time.
There is a light on the balcony with no on/off switch and the windows have vertical blinds that don't fit right therefore if you wake up at 2 a.m. the room is as bright as if it's daytime outside. Kids were running up and down the halls at midnight. Stopped in at the waterpark for a drink and to check it out, had to go to the bathroom there, gotta tell ya,I've seen cleaner bathrooms in the rural areas of Mexico. For the price I thought it was horrible, both my husband and I would never, never recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank bellavie
Reviewed April 12, 2010

Way to high a price to be jamed in a water park with too many people. Most waits were between 25-40 minutes. The wait was so long between slides that we would be dry by the time we got to the next ride. The noise was increadible and the DJ only made it worse. The lazy river was so packed that the tubs road up on each other. The wave pool was to full to be able to be in. After being there 2 hours we asked the kids if they wanted to spend 2 day there. They said "NO" so we cancled our second night.
Go only if you like bumping butts with red nicks.

Reviewed April 9, 2010

Overall, the Kalahari Waterpark Resort exceeded my expectations. Everything from check-in to check-out ran smoothly. Although the resort was sold out, it did not seem crowded. There were plenty of tables and chairs all around the waterpark, so my husband and I were able to read and relax, while our children enjoyed the attractions. There were many options for food within the waterpark, so again, no crowds or waiting. The only real line we experienced was at the Candy Hut, late in the evening. I think everyone had the same idea of having a late ice cream treat. My daughter commented that they should add a few more people at the counter to handle the long lines. Our room was located right next to an elevator, so I was initially concerned that it would be noisy, but it was just the opposite. The rooms are well-insulated. We did not hear a sound. I would recommend spending the extra money for a larger room. We had the smallest room, since it was the only one available at the time of our reservation. It was a decent size, and included a refrigerator and microwave, but it was not spacious enough for families with teenagers. Our children thanked us for the trip throughout our stay. If we decide to take another trip to an indoor waterpark resort, we will definitely return to Kalahari.

1  Thank CWHS84
Reviewed April 8, 2010

We just got back from a 2 night stay on the 6th and 7th of April (spring break). I was a little worried it would be dirty and so crowded we would not have any fun based on some of the reviews. I was very pleasantly surpprised. Rooms were modern, up to date and very clean. No complaints other than the balcony had a wall light that went on at dusk and our room did not have drapes, only vertical blinds which let in a lot of unwanted light from outdoor light. Drain in tub seemed to be clogged since water drained super slow. Carpets clean, bedding clean and stain free, microwave and fridge immaculate. Beds had nice matresses. Hallways were quiet at night. We slept great. We ate the buffet breakfast in Kahunaville both mornings. It was excellent!! Highly recommend. Staff was helpful and friendly for the most part. No one was rude. Now, for the waterpark.... It was crowded but we still had a great time. Wave pool was filled with innertubes and people bumping into each other in their tubes. It was still very fun though. Water was very chlorinated so I felt safe that it was clean. Lines for some of the tube slides were long (one hour) but others were less than 20 minutes so not that bad considering the hotel was totally booked this week. Rides were great. Kids had a fun time. No complaints. Food in park is pricey but they do have water fountains so you dont have to buy bottled water. Overall, I would recommend this place for a day or two outing. I was ready to go by the end of two days.

Reviewed April 6, 2010

Stayed at Kalahari for one night. This was our 3rd visit in 4 years. This is the best waterpark in Sandusky, Ohio. More expensive than the other 2, but way bigger with better rides for mid to older teenagers including - zip coaster ride, 2 flow riders (like you see on cruise ships), lazy miami, wave pool, and 6+ tube rides. I've never experienced the outside portion of Kalahari, since I've always been there in late Mar/Early Apr as part of Spring Break.

Only room complaint is inability to turn off balcony light at night, but bedspread over blinds blocks most of the light. If you have teenagers, they can swim noon-10PM day of check-in and 9AM-3PM day of check-out.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family