“Service Has Improved Greatly”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Michigan
“Service Has Improved Greatly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2006

We visited Kalahari late last year and like many reviewers thought that service left a lot to be desired. Even though service was poor the hotel had nice amenities and a beautiful water park. We decided to give it another chance and we are glad we did. It appears that Kalahari has addressed nearly all of the customer service issues we witnessed on our first visit.

Service was good from the time we arrived to the time we departed. The front door greeter, the desk help and all of the staff in the shops were first class. The buffet style restaurant was poorly organized and customer service lacking the first time. This time service was excellent and the food was great.

It appears that management has taken the customer service issues to heart and if our second visit was any indication it appears that many of the complaints noted in these reviews have been addressed.

One complaint remains from our first visit. The ladies working the tiger/lion cub photo area continue to be as rude as they were on our first visit (my understanding is they are not employees of Kalahari). Pictures are $30 and the tiger cubs are cute but the ladies working the area are rude to both paying customers and bystanders.

We were pretty pleased with this visit overall and will return again this summer. Room rates are reasonable and the waterpark is one of the nicest and cleanest you will find.

• Stayed May 2006
10 Thank Llewtwo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (843)
South Bend, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2006

I took my two boys to Kalahari for my son's 8th birthday and they had a great time. The place was clean and well-maintained. I felt safe letting my two boys play in the water and on the slides because there were plenty of lifeguards. The room was small, but adequate with a dorm sized refrigerator and microwave so we were able to eat breakfast and lunch in the room. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank bambam26
Hickory, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2006

I read so many bad reviews and I have to admit that I was a little worried. They called us a few days before we went to let us know that the lilly pad pool and the basketball pool where going to be closed. I choose not to cancel because our kids are 3 and 6 so they would not be using that area. When we arrived, our check in was super fast. Our room was on the main floor, but boy was it a long walk. The halls go on forever. We go a room with bunk beds for the girls. The room was great. Very clean and the girls loved that bed. We went right down to the pool. The toddler pool could be a little larger, but there was no one there. Both days the place was empty. At first my 6 year old thought that she was just going to stay there, but then my husband talked her into checking out the tree house. She loved it. The slides there are the perfect amount of excitement for a 5-8 year old. Instead of coming down into a pool where they may go under, they come into a sort of water trough. She loved it.

I also read a lot about rude staff. We could not have had a different experience. We went down to get the girls some dip n dots and they wanted chocolate which were not in the case. The girl checked everywhere to see if they had chocolate, but no luck. Then on day two, which was my daughters 3rd birthday, we were in the waterpark and she was upset about something so I took her to the snack shop to try to get her something to eat. She picked out a bag a chips and the girls at the counter noticed that she was crying and gave her dip n dots for free!!!! When I told them it was her birthday, they all broke out into song. We had a great experience.

Last year, we went to the Great Wolfe which was nice, but if I had my choice, I would go back to Kalahari.

11 Thank acarter927
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2006

We ( three family gathering, 6 adults, 5 children) went on Good Friday weekend all the way from Toronto and Peterborough Ontario Canada and Troy MI to Kalahari Waterpark Resort.There was no Day-passes available! We were stuck with kids. Manager on duty did the magic and get all of us through somehow. Kids were so happy. It was a great day and soaked fun. Way to go Kalahari. Many Thanks, Dusko

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2006

We (three adults, five kids) recently returned from the Kalahari Waterpark Resort after a one night stay. Our review is mixed, far more positive from the kids than from the adults.

Our room (family suite) was adequate to meet our needs, nicely decorated and well stocked. The in room safe was useful, as were fridge, microwave and tv's. Beds comfortable and linens clean and well stocked. Importantly, the room was quiet. The place is really pricey, but happily includes admission to the water park.

The water park itself is impressive with many offerings. But with the crowds, noise and degree of thrill of some of the rides, it really isn't a place for the younger set. I totally agree with past reviews which recommend a different park for those under age 5. The lifeguards seem young (teenagers?) and did a good job. We saw no serious safety issues except crowding and daring, active teenagers. Parents really need to be hyper-vigilant. The hot tub was crowded with kids, and I was kicked hard by one diving under the water.

Personally, I was unhappy with the location of the candy and ice cream counters and the arcade, both of which had to be walked through to get to the park. Needless to say, this is less than transparent pushing of this stuff to kids. Whatever. It is a family decision to partake of this junk.

The day of our departure we were able to use the park until 3pm, but check out was at 11am. I wanted a locker for valuables and a change of clothes, but had to line up with those who were paying for outside admission for the day. The line(s) were long and slow, and after 15 minutes of going nowhere, I bailed. I really think they should have a separate line for lockers only.

One day was enough for this group. Glad we tried it.

8 Thank Seamus5
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2006

This is one of the most poorly managed and over priced "resorts" I have ever seen. When you pay $350/night, you expect a LITTLE something in the way of staff competence and courtesy. Here is a list of my gripes:

Rides kept breaking down. My husband was stranded inside a completely dark tube when the ride broke down. The teenage attendants appeared to be completely uninterested in rescuing him. They strolled along with their completely uninterested, blank stares. They offered him no direction. After 5 minutes he crawled out on his own.

The hotel rooms have the sink area IN the sleep room. For $350/night I think they could put a door on the bathroom.

Although it was a holiday weekend, the place was under staffed. The line to get into the ladies lockerroom took 20 minutes because they had 2 teenagers checking people in. Other employees (including people who APPEARED to be adult "management" came and went and appeared to be oblivious to the long lines...they never called for help or did anything to alleviate the long wait). In my opinion, they should have one line for day guests and one line for hotel guests. I don't intend to stand in line after I've paid $350/night.

The grounds were dirty. Cigarette butts and trash lying all over the place.

The valet parking is a joke. Save your $. You can walk to your car a lot faster than the slow poke valet's. You cannot call ahead and have your car brought around. The valet's dont have a phone. Once again...not a big deal unless you have the mistaken impression that this is a "resort"! You can stay at the Four Season's Hotel for a LOT cheaper and get much much better service.

Our hotel balcony was located directly over the laundry room exhaust vents. We were blasted with hot dryer stink when we sat outside.

The java hut is outrageously expensive. I don't mind buying my coffee, but $5 for 2 cups is pushing it.

In short. If you HAVE to go here, stay at Motel 6. The rooms are every bit as nice, you will save a boatload of $, and aggravation.

Stayed April 2006
17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2006

Kalahari is many things and school age children will have a good time at the waterpark. A few comments I will add:

Consider total cost of stay
* Breakfast buffet is $12.95/per & $6.95/under 6 yrs. My 6 yr old girl doesn't eat $2 of anything.
Even eating at snack bar is roughly $30 for a family of four.
* Dinner buffett is $17.95 & $12.95/ under 6. Again my 6 yr old eats $2 per meal at best.
Verdict = we ate breakfast at Cracker Barrel and dinner at a local restaurant in Huron named Marconi's (recommend...nice)
* Local calls $.75
* Internet ~$11/night
Overall, if money is tight consider staying at the Hampton Inn or similar getting more inclusives and just using the waterpark. This saves approximatelys $100+ based on a family of four over two days.

Building Design:
* Lacks a nice interior and exterior design as in Great Wolf Lodge. Just a rambling building...I was disappointed.
* Parking lot 300-500 feet from building with bridge walkway connecting the two. My view on this is mixed. Terribly inconvenient and stupid in one sense. But...this is actually great for all overweight and out of shape Americans. If attending in December - February you may want to avoid walking through all the snow & ice and stay at Great Wolf.
* Drive up area is horrendous. They did not design this with enough room for all the vehicles coming and going. Incredibly stupid...people directing you as soon as you get on the property on how to quickly drop off you bags and race off to the parking lot 500 feet away..you'll see what I mean.
Room Comment - Safari Bunkhouse
Our room include a small separate room with no door that had bunkbeds & TV. Only problem was there was "no door" or anything covering the entry way and two "windows" overlooking our bed/TV. This is not ideal for putting the kids to bed and staying up with the wife to watch TV (kind of bright). Again, this is the kind of stupidity Great Wolf doesn't have. We solved the window problem by stuff an extra pillow or two in their place.
Finally, attending a waterpark does remind me that American's eat too much and exercise too little.

10 Thank Appliancejunky