“Can't Believe Everything You Read!”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
A TripAdvisor Member
“Can't Believe Everything You Read!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2006

Went to the Karahali Resort on Sat 3/25/06 with my 12 year old daughter. Hard to believe the negative posts on Trip Advisor given our recent wonderful experience with this resort. A one night stay provides (2) days in the indoor water park - a good deal. The indoor water park was excellent. We stayed during a spring break weekend but the lines were not long and although there was a lot of guests it never seemed crowded. Other posts said the water was cold - not during our stay - very comfortable. Other posts said the staff was rude - not during our stay. I thought I would test the staff from the start. Upon entering the parking lot, I asked the security guard if this was the "Hairy Collie" place. He laughed. Good sign. No problem at all with staff. In fact, the bell men and valet folks were very friendly and really seemed to enjoy the guests and their jobs. The room, the hut layout, was nicely appointed and very clean. The food was excellent and priced very reasonably. Good things to come from this resort with the development of the outdoor water park as well as major additions to the indoor. I think it's better suited to older kids (8 and up) but seemed there was plenty to do with the younger ones. We'll be back! Thanks to all the good folks from the Kalahari!

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (843)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2006

My husband and I took our kids ranging from 14 to 6 to Kalahari and we had a great time!! We arrived early, went through the registration line quickly and were given our wristbands to enter the waterpark immediately. Our room was ready at 4:00 p.m. like promised and it was great! Very Clean, Very Comfortable. The staff at the registration desk was very friendly and very helpful. In fact, we felt they went out of their way to make sure that our group had everything we needed to have a great time!
Our 6 year got really sick while we were there and we had to call housekeeping one night to come and help us. They came quickly and were very helpful and pleasant. I couldn't have asked for them to do more.
Our kids had a blast in the waterpark & arcade area. They are all ready to go back and I'm sure that we will and will bring other families with us. Great Fun!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Farmington MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2006

We took our son and 4 friends on St. Patricks day for his birthday. We had a 2 bedroom family room. It was very nice. One room had a king bed and it's own bath and vanity, micro and fridge. The other had 2 doubles and a pullout queen, it's own bath, fireplace and deck. It was very clean and new as I would expect for such a new place. The only negative about the bed I slept in (king) was the use of unfitted sheets. Major pet peeve of mine in so many hotels these days. I also would have flipped the king bed to the fireplace room and had the doubles be the first room that you walked into. The rooms were quiet and well protected from noise.

The staff was incredibly helpful. We requested a room close to the waterpark and we got it. Someone was helping us with our luggage very quickly.

The waterpark itself it good. I did not participate in the actual experience this time. The boys, of course, did and my husband. We rented a cabana. IT is a great idea for a little privacy and organization. EAch one has a table, several chairs, all wooden. Refrig with large bottles of water, telephone, TV and cushioned lounge chairs. Also included are 4 huge fluffy Kalahari Resort towels. There are 6 cabana's I believe. 1-3 are in the worse location ever, with no view and loud engine noise, so loud we could not even talk. 4-6 are more on the main path and much more quiet. Unfortunately they all cost the same amount to rent. So make your request before you get there when renting a cabana. I would recommend it for the additional $99.

The food was very impressive. The buffet we had on saturday was delicious and the staff waited on us hand and foot.

The express checkout was a breeze,(which mean you just leave, if you have a credit card in the system)and we were out of the room @ 11 am, no problem. We hung around until about 1:30.

Stayed March 2006
5 Thank tea4tee90
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2006

We stayed at the Kalahari on St. Patrick's Day and had a wonderful time. We had quite an age span -- 3 I/2 year old twins and an 8 and 9 year old. There was something for everyone. We found all the staff we encountered very accommmodating and very friendly from check in to the pizza delivery on Friday evening. We used the TV service check out which certainly made it VERY easy. Kahunaville had excellent food and great PR. It was entertaining as well. The youngest boys had a great time just looking out at the water park. The kiddie area was darling and the slides held their attention for hours. Our older boys loved the slides, lazy rivers, and the water basketball. The arcade was fun and our little ones didn't even use tokens --the older ones were thrilled with the variety. The tree house held everyone's attention and we spent hours there. Our group was very sorry to leave. We left with the little ones crying to stay and our older ones asking "When are we coming BACK."

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2006

Never have I experienced such a rude staff!

From the moment we arrived and checked in, or attempted to, we had already wished we had stayed at Castaway Bay again!!

Our room was not ready so we asked if we could leave our luggage with the bell desk. We were informed that they no longer have that service. You have to come back and get your luggage from the car later....all the way across the property!!! Or else you can valet park for $10 a day and they will bring your car around to unload. Yeah Right!!

One of the people out front cursed at someone in our group. Unbelieveable.

Pool areas are FREEZING! The air temp is so cold once you exit a pool. The water is chilly. The lifeguards do not watch or supervise. They talk with one another or they ride the FlowRider while a line 20 people deep waits and waits and waits, while they ride over and over again.

Resturants are substandard and overpriced. We waited nearly an hour for our food each time. When the restuarant was EMPTY! Half of the drinks on the menu they serve one day then say no longer exist the next day.

RUDE RUDE RUDE.

What a waste of our money.

16 Thank ThisMom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2006

Wow, I can't understand some of these complaints I am reading here! We just returned a couple days ago and we can't wait to go back. My husband and I and our two boys, 8 and 4 stayed for 2 nights. We went with lots of friends and thier children. The kids ages ranged from 15 down to 3, and we never heard any complaints from any of them!
We shared a Village Suite with 2 other families and I would highly recommend it. It has a full kitchen so we ate our meals right there in our room. It has 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms, so everyone has thier privacy. Our room was very clean, very nicely decorated. VERY comfortable beds.
The waterpark was awesome, the slides were a blast, something for every age. The water was NOT really cold, I am huge baby when it comes to cold water and it was fine. The basketball pool was FUN (dangerous??!!) There were lots of lifeguards and staff, and towels were plentiful. The surfing thing was really cool. There is a bar right in the waterpark area for refreshments. Don't worry about carrying cash on you though, you can scan your wristband and have it charged to your room.
We painted pottery which was great, but make sure you do it before noon the day before you leave, otherwise it won't be ready by check out time. They will ship it to you for an extra charge though.
We never had any problems with the staff at all. The resort is large but we didn't have any trouble finding anything. I would highly recommend the Kalahari Resort!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2006

The waterpark is fun, there is no denying that. My children (ages 11, 6 and 2) had a blast. Each enjoyed a different area of the waterpark, all enjoyed playing in the dry TreeTop Playground and the older 2 had fun painting pottery, getting body art, playing in the arcade, eating junk etc....

The rooms were clean.

Service was HORRIBLE. I can not stress enough how truly horrible the customer service is throughout the resort. There is a definite climate of "you are bothering me" from the entire staff. For the 2 days we were there, we encountered only 2 employees who were evenly remotely pleasant to us. The rest gave us dead stares, barely spoke, were rude or disinterested when they did speak, some blatanly ignored us. If that weren't bad enough, none of them gave us correct information. For every question we asked, we were given wrong information.....closing times for the waterpark, opening times for the shops, policy for locker rentals....all of these are simple questions and should be answerable by someone who works there!

I've NEVER experienced such poor customer service in a hotel before. Managers didn't seem to know how to handle even the smallest problems. This resort could be a gem if the staff cared at all.

18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member