“I Loved it!!!”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
“I Loved it!!!”
Reviewed February 12, 2006

I just returned from the Kalahari (Feb, 10 - Feb. 13) & I thought it was awesome!! (6 of us. Me, a friend, my teenage sons & one of their friends.) We stayed in a Nomad room with fireplace. We all thought that the beds were VERY comfortable, so I can't understand the complaint about the beds. All of the staff that we encountered were VERY friendly & helpful. Our safe wouldn't open on the second night & security plus a maintenence man had to come at 2 AM to get it open. They BOTH were friendly!! The water park was awesome!! I only wish that they had a wave pool. The hot tubs would be ALOT better if kids weren't allowed. (Or at least have one hot tub for adults only.) There were kids climbing on the netting around the outside hot tub, little kids sticking their tongues in the hot tub water, etc. I NEVER heard a parent discipline any of the kids while I was in there. As far as the message about the kid losing a Game Boy, WHY would you take that on a mini vacation any way? I have taken my kids on PLENTY of vacations but I never allowed them to take video games. If they can't find SOMETHING to do, then there's something wrong. My kids loved both the surfing & the body boarding. I was totally amazed at the bartenders in Kahunaville!! I had never seen that before & they were awesome!! We (four of us)each bought an $18.00 drink in a HUGE glass!! (I can't remeber what it was called.) Refills are $12.00 & in my opinion, I thought it was a good deal. Plus, the drink that I had, Kalahari Flame, was VERY good!!! I have no complaints at all about Kalahari!! If I had to complain about anything, it would definitely be the fact that too many kids were running around unsupervised & alot of the ones that were "Supervised" were not being disciplined but were being allowed to do whatever they wanted. (As a matter of fact, our first night we were downstairs looking at the little pond thing with change in it, & a young boy spit in it!! His father, (Or father figure) was right there & didn't say a word!! We are most definitely going to go back.

Stayed February 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (858)
Ohio
Reviewed February 10, 2006

My husband had to be out of town during our daughter's 13th birthday. He suggested I take the family, and a special friend of the birthday girl, and make it a special time. We were a little hesitant at first, after reading some of the other reviews. I continued to read a few of the pages, and found others who thought it was great, so we decided to take the plunge. We stayed once before at the Great Wolf(when it was Great Bear), and had a wonderful experience, but thought something new and different would be more of a memory for her. I must say we were all very pleased with the entire stay. The decor was fun, and the place exceptionally clean. We had our room upgraded, with a Kroger grocery card, to a Nomad, with a fireplace. The beds werent anything special, but not uncomfortable. There is so much to do, and with the 199.00 pick 4 special, that we never lacked for enough to do. My oldest daughter and I had a manicure done- a bit over priced, but still a nice touch for the ladies! We ate dinner at the Kahunaville, and all of us brought some back to the room. We had a very friendly, efficient waiter. On Friday, we took advantage of the pizza deal from our pic 4, and had enough left over for the next day, even with 5 of us eating! It was scrumtious! The staff in the pool area made sure everything ran smoothly, and kept all areas picked up and clean. I can't say that I found most of the staff to be overly friendly, but there were a few, who made the stay a little more enjoyable. Our manicurist Sarah, was the most friendly of the bunch, as well as the coffee shop clerk. We opted out of using the valet, but the young men directing traffic, were still accomodating. The uniforms they wore were a nice touch. We enjoyed the baby tiger, but 27.00 for a picture was way overpriced! We look forward to the additions to come, and will definately return someday! Dont think twice about making this your choice!

• Stayed February 2006
7 Thank donttravelmuch
Reviewed February 8, 2006

I visited the Kalahari, Sandusky on January 5th and 6th. I traveled with a friend and combined our five kids.
Very Fun, Nice suites/rooms.
The pool areas could have be a little cleaner. My three children, 8,5, and 4 really enjoyed the water park.
Customer Service needs much imporovement. We had an incident upon check out...We checked out of our room before 10am as required. We packed up our room checked out, but stayed on the premises as the hotel allows you to do. We played more at the waterpark and had lunch at one of the hotel's restaurants. We finally decided to leave at apporximately 3:30pm and when getting the kids into the car to go, my 8 year began to cry realizing she left her "Game Boy" bag in the night stand drawer in the hotel room. She was very upset because she had just got this new Game Boy from Santa 11 days earlier. I ran into the hotel from the parking lot hoping and praying that it would still be there. I asked the front desk if the room had been checked into and it was not. I was given a key to check the room and I ran to the room. I hoped that the cleaning staff had over looked it and it would be there. It was not. At this point I hoped the people on the Kalahari staff that cleaned this room had enough integrity to turn in the Game Boy bag to management. Security found nothing but assured me that they would handle the situation. I was told that they know who enters all the rooms by security cameras that are placed in the hallways. I left that afternoon having faith that the management would be able to locate the Game Boy bag from the staff members that were in the room and return it to me. After many phone calls and qutie frankly the run around, a month has gone by and we still do not have resolution. "Customer Relations" last promised me a call on the 26th and they have never called back.
It was an unfortunate lesson for myself and my 8 year old. The Kalahari staff person that conveinently found the Game Boy bag scored a very old (no value) game boy, a brand new Game Boy SP, and seven games.
Needless to say it has left a very bad taste in our mouths and we do not plan on returning again.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 26, 2006

My family of 5 stayed Jan.20 and 21 and had a blast. The entire staff got a thumbs up in our book. It was warm and all of the rides were working all weekend. The lifeguards were attentive and everywhere. My 42" daughter was allowed in the basketball pool with a parent. She would rather be in the Lazy River and in the treehouse. I think you should go and experience this great family getaway.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed January 25, 2006

My family of 6 (2 adults and 4 children ages 11,9,5, & 2 1/2) just returned home from 5 days (4 nights) at the Sandusky waterparks (great Wolf Lodge, Kalahari, & Cast Away Bay). We stayed at Kalahari for one night and LOVED the room. We stayed in one of the "African Queen" suites and it was VERY NICE! But....that's about all we liked at this resort (except the pizza....VERY GOOD!)
My older two kids (11 & 9) liked the Flowrider and the Zip Coaster....but my 5 & 2 1/2 year old sons had almost NOTHING to do. Most of the attractions had a 48 inch height requirement. The only thing for little ones was the "dry play area" which only kept them entertained for an hour max. I also agree with the other reviewers about the lifeguards being worthless (at least the ones who were "working" while we were there. All they did was run around and play (with each other) and did not pay ANY attention to the patrons.
The front desk staff was not friendly OR helpful (in fact only one staff member- a security guard- was friendly at all). They also tried to add charges on our bill for services that we did NOT use!
My advice is to stay at either Great Wolf Lodge or Cast Away Bay....MUCH BETTER!

16 Thank Kris H
Reviewed January 23, 2006

Our family of four visited Kalahari this weekend. We had a wonderful stay. I have to admit I was concerned after reading many of the negative posts within the past few months. We had been to Great Wolf before and was wanting to return again, but Great Wolf did not offer any specials on the weekends. We decided to give Kalahari a try and booked in November for the $299 special for a weekend stay.

We stayed in a desert room which we found to be quite spacious. Loved the theming of the resort. Our room was very clean, we found the staff to be helpful. The only constuctive advise for improvement was to add more lifeguards on the weekends. Our kids loved the waterpark, game room and the tree top play place. I disagree with previous posts that there is nothing for little kids to do. Our kids are a little older, there were activities for the younger kids. I don't feel it's appropriate to take poor swimmers down a waterslide who cannot swim well. I worked at a water amusement park out west, and that is a major safety hazzard. Expect when you have younger kids, that it is likely they will not be able to participate in everything and plan accordingly. Our kids loved the flowrider, zip coaster, lazy river. I wasn't a fan of riding down most of the slides in the dark, but there are fast open air water slides in the treehouse to enjoy.

We found the staff helpful. We ate most of our meals in our room, due to the convenience of having a microwave and refrigerator and planned accordingly and brought our meals to maximize our time in the waterpark. We did dine at Kahunaville before departing and enjoyed our dinner and felt that it was a good value. The candy hut has great variety and the ice cream serving size for a single scoop is huge. Two cones were enough for our family to share!

We enjoyed seeing the lion and the kangaroo in the lobby. Those of you who may be interested in bringing a DVD player or video game system, you can plug these into the television in the room. We were told the televisions could not accomodate them, so we left ours at home. That is something we will remember for a future trip.

Upon our return the following day we received a survey asking for feedback regarding our stay. I thought that was a nice touch to solicit our suggestions, if any, to make improvements.

We were very happy with our stay and will return again. While we enjoyed our stay at Great Wolf Lodge in the past, we will return to Kalahari instead. A better value for the price and unless your kids are under 8, it's likely they'll be bored after a day.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 21, 2006

1. NOT FOR LITTLE KIDS under 42"- There is only one space for children under 42", unless you count the water playground area (there is dripping water over head, and a huge bucket that pours water in huge quanitites every few minutes).
2. LIFEGUARDS DO NOT WATCH WATER- Not all, but majority did not watch the water. Saw one near drowning and broken nose at BABY area on our stay. Could have been prevented. Sad.
3. MANY UNSAFE BOLTS STICKING OUT AROUND WATER PARK- nets are anchored down to floor by big bolts sticking out of floor. Looked so unsafe.
4. DRY PLAY AREA HAS LITTLE SUPERVISION AND MANY EXITS- It was hard to keep an eye on your kids and with 2 exits spilling out into the gameroom, I was a nervous wreck.
5. ROOM SERVICE SENT FOOD WITH NO SILVERWARE, and never delivered it after we called and asked for it. Try eating yogurt, waffles, pancakes and eggs with no spoon...WOW! Same problem with dinner at the restaurant...brought food with no silverware, and had to wait 5 minutes for them to bring it to us.
* BUT..Room was nice and clean although it was the longest hallway I'd ever seen (I didn't mind, but I'd feel bad for the elderly or physically challenged *Great waitress at dinner buffet, she should be promoted to manager...wouldn't recommend this resort.

22 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandusky
Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
Great Wolf Lodge
Great Wolf Lodge
#7 of 35 in Sandusky
No photo provided

Been to Kalahari Resorts & Conventions? Share your experiences!