“A Dream Vacation”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #3 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed June 18, 2009

We just returned from a two day vacation to Kalahari Resort in Sandusky. Reading some of the previous reviews, I find myself getting very angry! We couldn't have had a better stay. We had wonderful service upon check in. There were several people in front of us that seemed to have come in with changes, etc. and each of the girls on the desk was very patient and friendly with them. Our clerk couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. We were early, so our room wasn't ready yet. We could have used the waterpark right away, but we decided to head to the game room and the Pottery Pizazz. The game room was great and my kids easily won some prizes. My husband and I opted for making pottery that was fired and ready for us on the day we checked out. The girls there were very helpful. We had a hospitality suite on the 4th floor and it was incredible. Bar, fireplace, HUGE balcony overlooking the outdoor pools, a couch that opened into a bed and two queen sized, murphy beds. I thought we would have to lift them during the day to have some room to move, but we didn't have to do that at all and we still had lots of space! Our refrigerator wasn't working right when we got there, but a quick call to maintenance brought a new one within 10 minutes and the gentleman was very friendly. The room was clean as a whistle and housekeeping even brought us extra pillows. Yes, some of the rides were shut down from time to time due to a shortage of lifeguards. This wasn't really a problem because many of the rides are similar and my teenaged sons still had a great time. As a matter of fact, they were so exhausted they fell asleep before we had a chance to watch any of the in room movies. We ate at the Great Karoo and the food was GREAT! The prices were about the same that we would have paid at a TGI Fridays, etc. The Candy Hut was incredible with ice cream and every kind of chocolate treat imaginable. We bought a 20 inch pizza and yes, it was over $20, but it fed all 6 of us and was delicious. I love the fact that Kalahari sits farther down I-250 away from Cedar Point enough that you miss all the crazy traffic of the "strip", but it's close enough to get there easily if you need to. I can't say enough about the staff of the resort. As far as the room being quiet, we didn't hear a sound and we had a lot of middle school aged students staying on the fourth floor with us. I'm sure if those who had trouble with kids running up and down the halls had called the front desk, someone would have patrolled the area. They do put signs up in the evening that state it is a quiet zone and no running is allowed. I would stay at Kalahari again anytime!

2  Thank KetteringMom
Write a ReviewReviews (3,764)

Reviewed June 17, 2009

We stayed at Kalahari Sunday June7th to the 9th, I booked the fantastic family getaway package, which included breakfasts, dinner, movie, mini golf, pizza and pop. We had booked the same package last summer and thought it was a really good value. We liked the breakfast buffet but weren't too impressed with the dinner buffet, would never have paid the price if it wasn't included.
Like last year we found the room to be very clean and a nice view overlooking the outside pool. We also found the waterpark clean and the rides well managed by the lifeguards. We also did Cedar Point on the Sunday night and had our best visit ever. Only 15 minute wait for all the big coasters including Dragster. This was our first visit at this time of year and really enjoyed it. The weather was great and most kids were still in school so the water park was relatively quiet.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 15, 2009

My family and I stayed at this resort over a weekend, just for the indoor waterpark. First of all I would like to say it's a beautiful resort and the valet service is excellent, but those are the only pluses about this place. I would like to think that if you're going to pay 300 a night that most of the water slides/attractions would be open. But NO, half of them were closed due to "water flow" issues. When my husband complained 3 different times to water park management and the front desk no apologies whatsoever were given. They did not offer to refund any of our money, a free meal or a free night or discount for another stay. They offered us NOTHING. I feel sorry for anyone who stays here expecting it to be the country's GREATEST indoor waterpark. We drove 4 hours and were very disappointed with our entire stay. You have to pay for EVERYTHING!!! No extras here!
And I don't think a FAMILY resort should allow their guests to walk around the waterpark drinking alcohol. I can't tell you how many people I saw stumbling around drunk! And the last time I heard it's not real safe to mix waterslides and booze! And if you want a decent's night sleep you can forget it. People were letting their kids run up and down the hallways all hours of the night and when I called the front desk nothing was done about it. i could go on and on about this place....all i can say is "don't waste your money!!! "

4  Thank mommydeanto3
Reviewed June 5, 2009

We got a great deal from Travel Zoo so my 10 year old daughter took her best friend and went for just one night. Upon check-in I was told we had been upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite and we got coupons for a pizza and drinks--wow! Our room was ready when we arrived so we didn't have to fuss with changing rooms and all that! Our room was gorgeous and clean--one room had a king sized bed, a table/chairs, tv and its own bathroom and the other room had 2 queen beds, table/chairs, a plasma tv, a fireplace, a couch and its own bathroom! I took the master bedroom and gave the kids the 2 bed room so they each had their own bed. The waterpark was very nice but I felt a little uneasy being alone with 2 kids because it is so big you can't find them by just scanning the area like at other water parks. I made a rule that they had to check in after every 3rd ride so it kind of tethered me to the table. I got a lot of reading done! My only complaint was noise in hallways at night--it is supposed to be quiet from 10-8 but our hallway was very noisy--if we go again I would ask not to be on the first floor. The food we got was great and all the staff was helpful and friendly! I would say go to Kalahari and have fun!

1  Thank MissingSanDiego
Reviewed June 1, 2009

SOS ;) Feb. 11-13
This was our first time 2 Kalahari Resort n had a great time. We went w/ 2 Hut nt. special 4 $199.99. When we arrived we were upgraded 2 an lodge room 4 free and our room was ready. We recived a tour of resort. The resort has a great theme and was pleasing to look at; it make me feel like i was really on VAC. The staff was amazing, n and very friendly. Thank u 4 an awsome vaction. Everywhere we went the staff would greet say hi n ask if we needed anything. The food was great, the pizza from the Pizza Pub was amazing. The ability to charge anything to ur room w/ ur wristband was great..no need 4 cash n the indoorwaterpark. The indoor waterpark is Humogus... Our families fav rides were the flow rider, n the zip coaster, the wave pool is amazing n huge, it's biggest and deepest i'll ever been n or seen and were some theme/waterpark jukkz, LOL. The indoor waterpark claims" no outside food" but they do not check ur bags or coolers, i mean big o coolers i seen some bring n u would think it was Nascar, LOL. Anyway what i like the most is the adult areas, they have swim-up bars w flat screen tvs and indoor n outdoor hottubs. I will, do want 2 recommoned Kalahari Resort 2 everyone. I am already lookn to go again, but w/ special.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank Sexydreaaa
Reviewed May 26, 2009

We bought their Beat the Clock special, 1 night for $180. We liked that we were allowed to use the waterpark before our room was available. Well, that was what we were told, but in actuality, the room was read immediately! (12 noon instead of the 4pm official check in.)

The room was clean - it appeared new. My wife requested a Hut Room with 2 queen beds (we have a toddler who would share with mom), but the beds appeared to be full size. Because the room was quite nice otherwise, we let it go. Internet is available in the rooms (wifi and on TV), but it's limited to certain sites like the Weather Channel and CNN. If you try to surf on Google, you'll be asked to authorize a payment on your account. Same for wifi over your portable device. (I tried.) Nevermind, that's not what we were there for.

For Memorial weekend, the place was not packed -- a bit crowded but manageable. Three of the areas were toddler-friendly. Of course there's the toddler area, which our son enjoyed for a few hours. Theres a multi-level area where the older kids liked to climb and slide; it also had a hose that our son loved. On ground level there, the water is only 1.5 feet or so, OK for toddlers, as I said. The wave pool has graded floor, like a beach. Parents can take their toddlers in quite far. The "Lazy River" is 2 feet deep and about 5 minutes around; our toddler didn't enjoy riding on mommy's tummy. Overall, the waterpark is worth the price of the hotel charge.

There are lots of seats, but barely enough tables for all the guests. If you manage to snag one, you can leave your stuff there and no one will take it, it seemed like. You might get lulled into a false sense of security, so be careful. There are lockers available for rent at $5, with a $5 deposit on the key, refunded when you return it. Some lockers are in the park area, and there are some in the men's and women's locker rooms, of course. The locker area was clean enough --- no complaints from me.

Food choices are average in variety, and priced as you would expect for a resort (i.e., overpriced). There are dining options on the main road, if you would rather find your own dinner.

It would have been a great weekend, if not for the slow service at the Cafe Mirage (pizza and grill counter). There's one guy making the pizzas and he takes his time like a jaded city worker. If there's no pizza under the heat lamp, don't order a slice (or a whole pie for that matter). We canceled our order after waiting 15 minutes (and our order wasn't even started and was behind 15 other orders -- no exaggeration).

Otherwise, the staff was friendly enough and generally accommodating. We would definitely go back there.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank GBOP
Reviewed May 10, 2009

My husband and I just came back from an overnight stay at Kalahari Waterpark in Sandusky, OH. We arrived on Saturday around 11:00 am. The front desk staff was very friendly. Our King Lodge room was not ready yet so we decided to go to the locker room and change into our swimming gear. The locker rooms were clean and large. The waterpark area is clean and huge! For a chair by the wave pool you must have to arrive early. Lots of them were taken and we had to sit elsewhere. There are many water slides. My husband went on several and his wait time was not long at all. The lazy river was not working for some reason. The wave pool is a lot of fun. There is an adult swim up bar area with great drinks and a hot tub which is indoor/outdoor. There is also another hot tub in the park that is indoor/outdoor for anyone. There is a large selection of kiddie activities. A ride called the Zipper-rollercoaster type was always busy so we did not go on. Looked fun though!

Our room was done around 12:30 pm (very quick). We arrived to it and it had a separate bedroom area with a king bed, closet, flat screen tv. There was also a keyboard which you could use for free internet but we could not get it to work. The suite also had a whirlpool tub/shower in the bathroom. The sink area is outside the bathroom which kinda irks me for some reason! I wish the bathroom had everything in it. Not separated. There was a full kitchen with fridge, stove, dishwasher, dishes, pans, etc. Also a large table with four chairs. There was a leather couch and 2 chairs in the living room and a flat panel television. A gas fireplace was a nice touch and we had it on several times. We did not use the outdoor balcony (seating and a table) but it would be nice in the summer.

There are various shops in Kalahari with touristy gear and gifts. Also a large game room but most games need to be used with a card that you buy. I believe it was a dollar for the card. You need to charge or insert money (we put $7 on ours) to play. There is a machine where you buy it. We also dined at the Java sandwich shop by the lobby and the sandwiches were good. It was $18 for our lunch which seems fair. Saturday night we dined at Kahunaville which was entertaining and worth the money ($42 for two with two dinners, one alcoholic drink, one soft drink, and appetizer). The staff is very friendly and helpful. Sunday morning we had the buffet at Grand Karoo. It was $11.95 per adult. They had a good selection of breakfast foods and pastries. Our wait staff was a little slow to greet us at the Grand Karoo.

An added bonus to the Kalahari is the 10pm-8am quiet time. No running in the halls and if you have a problem, security can ask people to quiet down. On our way to breakfast we even noticed "stop" signs letting guest know it is quiet time. I thought Kalahari was a fantastic weekend getaway!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple