“Best Trip Ever!!!”

Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
pittsburgh
“Best Trip Ever!!!”
Reviewed December 31, 2008

We just got back today from Kalahari and had the most wonderful time! Check in wasn't bad at all. I waited in the car with the kids for just a few minutes while my husband checked in. We drove to the side where the hut rooms are located and, luckily, got the first parking spot next to the door. The room was great. Clean, pretty and comfortable (and I am very, very, very picky about cleanliness.) The tub was really big and had arm rests. My husband loved this, since he is six-foot five. We thought that our refrigerator was broken, but the maid just forgot to plug it in. You could tell that it had just been cleaned. The waterpark was great. We spent most of our time at the kiddie attractions. My son loved the little slides with the safari cars and the basketball hoops in the pool. The baby loved the swings in the pool! We recommend the kahunaville bar/restaurant to eat. Very kid friendly, yet fun for young couples also. My son sang and danced on stage, did the limbo, and won a coupon for free minigolf. I heard not so good reviews about the food, but I loved it. My husband had the buffalo chicken wrap and I had the shrimp skewers. Both tasty. We each had a fruity drink also. I heard that it was very expensive food, but considering that they have you trapped in the resort, they definitely could have charged way, way more. It was around 10 for a sandwich and 17 for a full entree. I think kids meals were 5.99. My sister has stayed at some resorts where it was hard to find a meal under 40 a person. We did the pottery painting. It was organized and fun, but a little pricey if you are looking to save costs on vacation. We went with the package deal for two nights, which was a really good idea. Be careful if you don't stay overnight, however, because I saw a sign on the window of the waterpark that read it was booked to capacity, so they were only accepting hotel guests at the time (probably due to it being a holiday). That being said, we didn't wait in line for anything (not even at the restaurant at 7:00 pm. We just walked in and got a table right away. Overall, our experience was super and we would highly recommend the resort to anyone looking for a fun time. If we had more money, we would go often!

• Liked — great waterpark, fun activities all around, clean rooms
  • Disliked — we stayed on an upper floor away from the park, but it looked like bottom floor was noisy
1 Thank shangunz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (858)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 28, 2008

Just got back from a Christmas holiday stay for 4 nights. Overall, it was a fun experience and we had no real problems. The main attraction here is, of course, the ginormous indoor waterpark, which kept our 13 yr old entertained for the most part. We have been a few other indoor waterparks in the midwest, but this is by far the biggest - at least 3 times larger than the largest one we had been to prior to this - after this, I doubt anything will compare to this for indoor type waterparks. Anyway, I would not place this hotel/resort in the upper tier of hotels as it was not the cleanest nor the most service-oriented place we've stayed at. Although, you have to take it for what it is and that's a large hotel with one main attraction. I think for the money it was okay. I don't think we'll be coming back however, but that is mainly due to the fact that our daughter is getting older, and she was starting to get bored towards the end. Still a good time overall however.

• Liked — waterpark
  • Disliked — room location, cleanliness issues
Michigan
Reviewed December 28, 2008

Our stay there was terrible from the time we arrived. We pulled up at the front at 4.30. They have valet or an unloading section. The place was like a mad house and there was no spaces availabale so we decided to park and walk across the walk way from the parking lot. we unloaded our 2 year old and 7 month old and our little amount of luggage.
We got to the walkway to find no ramp! only 2 flights of stairs so i had the pleasure of bumping a double stoller with 2 kids in up all those stairs while the valet guys stood there and watched us struggle.
We checked in we were told there was no towels in our rrom yet, no problem! Little did we know those towels were neer going to appear. Eventually we cought a girl in the hallway and asked her for some.
Next thing was the little kiddie pool area was closed off, so there was nowhere to take my 7 month old. My husband and my 2 year old went on to enjoy the pool, i thought i'd walk around. The elevator to get to the lower level where the pool is was all the way on the other side of the hotel from where our room was. of course there is stairs that are right in the main lobby area but you can't take a stroller down there.
The next morning i thought i'd take my kids to the pottery area and let my 2 year old paint something. She tells us whateer we want done will be ready on Monday. - Not the best thing when i'm leaving on Sunday afternoon (this was only Saturday Morning)
We were walking back to our room when we could smell smoke on the hallways, why do people insist on smoking in non-smoking rooms? have they no consideration?! then we could hear screaming and yellling coming from a room a few doors down. Oh my goodness it was like these people were killing each other.
At that point i had had enough i decided i was going to cut our trip short and get the hell outta there. I went to the front desk and express my concerns and was met with excuses - no apology. "i can move your room" was what i was told.- that does not help if i can't take my son in the swimming pool that is why we are here!
In the end my Husband went back and said we were all leaving and we needed a refund for the 2nd day. He was told by the desk agent they would do it since it was before 5pm had it been later we would have got nothing back. Then the CEO of the company came out and said make sure to cut the wrist bands off so you can't go back in the pool.
So much for being a family orientated place - it is simply all about the money! They don't care at all! If i was to treat the guests in my hotel like that i'd be out of a job!
I will never stay there again even if it was free and i will never recomend it to anyone!

• Liked — Good Restaurant
4 Thank chedle
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed December 26, 2008

I am very happy with our stay. Staff was great. We had an emergency @ 1:00 in the morning, and my wife had to leave by ambulance. The staff responded quickly and offered if we needed assistance with our kids. We were leaving the hospital, and I thought i was going to have to call a cab, but before i could they had there car and driver waiting outside. they took it upon themselves to see that we got back ok. That was the best service I've had from any hotel. The breakfast was also five stars. only bad thing was stay away from the chicken. lol. lifeguards were very observant and they did there jobs well. Pricing was not bad either. check in and out was a snap. this was a pleasant stay. I just want to say thank you, and I will definitely be back and recommend others.

Calvin
216-682-5472

• Liked — Hospitality
  • Disliked — Chicken - room service
Ohio
Reviewed December 7, 2008

We just returned with a church youth group and had 3 separate African suites (2 bedroom suites). We found the staff to be very friendly, housekeeping very quick , and check-in to be very efficient and informative.

The rooms were very clean and beautiful. The park itself was mostly open (only a few rides were closed). The whole waterpark staff was helpful and friendly.

I thought the food was very good (at least the sandwiches in the waterpark area). We were impressed and plan to go back on a family vacation. We thought the price was very reasonable for all that was included!!!

• Stayed December 2008
1 Thank Buckeyefan42
k_nolte
Reviewed December 1, 2008

First let me say this place is awesome... If you want togo somewhere and have a good time then i recommend it.. I books the rooms for a two night stay and pay $99.00 per night yeah i know thats a great rate including access to the water park.. I went in winter which is good because to my suprise its the slow time of year. If i could goto this place every month i would the staff was awesome got us extra towls fast and the room was awesome a hut room with a balcony and fireplace and plazma tv.... the food in the resort sucks so we went to ryans buffet down the street and their food is awesome and a great price too if you get there before 5pm its only 6 dollars per person and kids eat for 99 cents....... i am going there again in feb 09 and i cant wait.

• Liked — clean and healpfulstaff
  • Disliked — nothing at all......
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
Ohio
Reviewed December 1, 2008

After not coming to this resort in a 2 years (busy work schedules) I was a little hesitant to stay after reading the bad reviews on the wait times and the staff. Well I would have to say DO NOT LISTEN to the BAD reviews, there were no wait times and all the staff was friendly. We arrived on Wed at 5pm and our room was ready, a bellboy took us to our room and unloaded the bags, while telling us the best ways to reach everything. We had booked the lodge room which has a full kitchen. The room was clean. What can I say about the indoor waterpark but...WOW. I have not been here since before the new expantion..it is hugh. There is so much to do. It is had to decide which to start with everything seemed so much fun. There were only 3 attrations not running but... they were repeats an extra baby pool, extra basketball, and an extra waverunner. Everything was open the entire time we were there wed thru friday. And I never ran into a staff worker that was not friendly. A couple of them asked how my day was going. The hotel even had a turkey buffett down in the convention center that ran from 11am til about 6. Or if you got yourself a suite with a kitchen u could of just made your own turkey. I would have to say for a Holiday trip this was the best time we swam the entire 3 days and I am beat...but I had a BLAST!

• Liked — indoorwater park with hotel...never had to leave the hotel
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank SandyL09200
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandusky
Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
Great Wolf Lodge
Great Wolf Lodge
#6 of 35 in Sandusky
Cedar Point's Hotel Breakers

Been to Kalahari Resorts & Conventions? Share your experiences!