“National Dance Competition” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kalahari Resorts & Conventions

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sandusky
Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
You added Kalahari Resorts & Conventions to your Saves list
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7000 Kalahari Drive, Sandusky, OH 44870   |
Ranked #5 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Lancaster, Ohio
“National Dance Competition”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We attended in July for a national dance competition and since it was my son's birthday we decided to splurge and stay at Kalahari. We had a two bedroom suite, which had a full kitchen and two bathrooms. The room was fairly clean upon arrival. I felt the kitchen could have used a little more attention. Housekeeping for stay over guests seemed to me to be lacking....dishwasher was not started eve though it was full, coffee was not left even though I left a note, and I know I'm one of the rooms the one day they did not rum the vacuum. Our room had two balconies overlooking the back, more private outside pool, and a fireplace! So yes all the amenities were there but I could have spent a week at the beach for what I paid for three nights to stay in Sandusky, Ohio! It was a nice three nights but nothing extraordinary. The kids enjoyed the arcade, the parents felt like the bowling and golf was a little expensive. My kids enjoyed the water park but we're ready to go. The hotel is nice but be prepared to spend money!

Room Tip: Go Sunday through Wednesday In the fall during their slow time for the best rate
    • 3 of 5 stars
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
It's so nice to hear about when families visit the Kalahari together from a certain event going on, like a convention or dance competition. I hope your son had a wonderful birthday with us. I am sorry to hear about the situations concerning your suite. I hope you made a call down to housekeeping and we were able to correct those for you. All in all, it sounds like you were able to take advantage of a lot of the amenities and attractions that the Resort has to offer. Take care and thanks for the review!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (764)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My friend and I took our 6 kids for 2 nights and we stayed in a DIRTY combo Suite. There were bobby pins and hair all over the floor. The room was dusty and had a weird SMELL. I did complain to housekeeping. Im not sure if they cleaned it or not. The 2nd night, I had to be that CRAZY lady who called Security not ONCE but TWICE due to the SCREAMING neighbors we had above us. This went on from 12:15-2:30 AM. Everyone I spoke to made me feel like they could have Cared less about my complains. No one did A THING to make it better for us.

I will give a Shout out to the Great Karoo for good service and good food. We had an awesome time at the waterpark.

Im VERY disappointed by management who had no problem taking our money but did nothing to solve the messy room problem! This will most likely be our LAST trip to Kalahari!!!

• 2 of 5 stars
      Rooms
    • 1 of 5 stars
4 Thank Audrey B
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Hello Audrey. I am glad you were able to connect with our Front Office Director I would like to reiterate what she said & apologize for the issues that you encountered during your stay. It is always our utmost priority to ensure the cleanliness of all of our rooms, and in your instance it appears as if we failed in that. Rest assured we have already addressed these issues with our housekeeping team and will be training our staff to make sure that this does not occur again. In response to your noise issues we do apologize. Our Security staff tries to ensure that all noise complaints are handled quickly and efficiently. Once again, I apologize for the issues that you had and we hope that you return to our resort and stay with us again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

We've been going to Kalahari for years, since about 2006 when it had first opened. We had been visiting ever since, and the park has only been getting better. The valet service are quick and nice, the food throughout the park and hotel are Delicious! The arcade and pool area are also very fun. The room rates have gotten more expensive through the years as it has grown so we don't go several times a year anymore. But when we do go the two times we go, it's always worth it. Plus, the hotel is just minutes away from Cedar point and other activities in the area.

• Stayed December 2013
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for your loyalty and I am so happy to hear that you enjoy the Resort with each visit and it keeps getting better for you. The arcade and waterpark are definitely my favorite places to relax within the Kalahari. I am glad to hear you enjoy the numerous dining and food options that we offer. Take care and we hope to see you back again soon!
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My family and I vacationed at Kalahari July 2014. Fantastic place to be for fun, good food, and an amazing adventure. One of my best buddies surprised us and showed up with his two girls. They were truly amazed because this was their first time visiting and staying at Kalahari. My daughter's best friend came and brought her son as well. They were very impressed and shared that they will definitely be back. We booked the Family Suite which is more than enough room for the family and it was truly a fun filled mini vacation. I encourage everyone to experience it for yourself. You will not be disappointed. Gosh I love this place!!

• 5 of 5 stars
Hi Brenda. I am so thrilled to hear that you and your family had an amazing time with us here. The waterpark is definitely my favorite place to kill some time. It's so nice that your buddy and his 2 girls were able to join you on your getaway. It's really cool to hear that they were impressed and enjoyed the Resort. Thanks again for the great review and I hope we see you all back again soon!
University Heights, Ohio, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

The water park itself was enjoyable, however the customer service was a complete disaster! In only a weekend I had 16 different problems. The largest problem by far was the broken bed. Our room wasn't ready until after 4, then one of our beds was so badly broken I didn't sleep at all Friday night. When I called the front desk sat morning (which I had to do from another room because our phone wasn't working either) the staff never even apologized. There was no effort made at check out to remedy any of my 16 issues either. The bartenders in the water park area were very rude even after several $25 drinks & great tips! The staff also refused to bring up our new wrist bands daily so we were forced to wait in line & wait an hour. When we requested blankets & sheets for the pull out bed ( there were none in the room) one of the blankets they brought up was dirty and urine stained! Sadly I could go on much longer....

Overall the horrible customer service ruined the experience and I will NEVER be back! My advice: stay @ another hotel

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank Nichole J
Hello Nichole, I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed our waterpark, however I am deeply disappointed to hear about the different problems you had. I have already passed your comments onto our management team who would like to discuss this directly with you to resolve these issues. If you would please be so kind as to email me your contact information we would greatly appreciate it. Please email me at SocialConnect@KalahariResorts.com It is our goal to make sure every guest leaves here with wonderful memories of our beautiful resort, and we hope that we have the opportunity to have you as our guest again in the future & another opportunity to provide you the level of guest service you expect and deserve.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Excellent - Wonderful would do it again. Particullarly well suited for families with kids 10-17 Great place to get away. Would go again and again. The room was amazing. I suggest giving the Entertainment Villa a try, it will not disappoint

• 5 of 5 stars
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Hi Jan. It's so nice to hear that your family enjoyed their getaway with us. I hope you all had a splendid time exploring the different slides and attractions that our Indoor Waterpark has to offer. The Entertainment Villas are such a cool way to experience the resort. Great choice. Thanks for the review and we can't wait to have you back. Take care.
London, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights in July with our two children (ages 3 & 1). This is the second time we've taken our children here and both times it has been a great experience.

We booked a Lodge Suite which has a full kitchen, lounge area and separate bedroom - it worked well for us. Our 3 year old slept on the pull out couch and the 1 year old slept in a crib. My only complaint about the resort would be that the room we were in (Sands Section, 6th floor) needed a bit of renovating. The bathroom had a musty smell, some of the grout was blackened and the main room just looked a bit worn-out/in need of a refresh. The previous time we stayed here the room we had was much fresher/didn't look worn-out.

The Pros of the Resort:
-Great for families with small children. Many different slides and water features geared for the little ones.
-The Treetop Play area is fantastic! Both our kids had an absolute blast.
-Resort is close to major stores and shopping, so it's easy to pop out to Meijer or Wal Mart to get anything you might need.
-Life Guards were really good. They were attentive and observant and they don't constantly pester you if your child is outside of arm's reach. We've been to other places where the life guards are pushy and rude if your child is outside of arm's reach.

Overall this is a great resort for a young family. It is good value for money and we will be returning again next year.

Room Tip: Sands area 6th floor was quiet, but the room seemed a little 'tired' in need of a refresh.
1 Thank Anniemac13
Thank you for taking the time to fill out such a detailed review. I am so happy to hear that both times you stayed with us were fantastic. It's always so nice when a family can spend a few days together at the Resort and enjoy their time playing in the waterpark. I am glad to hear that the Lodge Suite was big enough for all of you and that you enjoyed your time with the separate rooms. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you all back again soon!