“Great spring break family vacation”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Ashburn, Va
“Great spring break family vacation”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

My 3 kids, wife and I just returned from our 3 day vacation at the Kalahari resort in Ohio. The whole family had a blast in the indoor waterpark - it had plenty of things for my kids (2, 9, 11) to do! We stayed in a nomad room which overlooked the outdoor waterpark (which was not open yet). It was plenty of space for our family. Because it's an indoor waterpark, the overwhelming smell of chlorine is prevalent, but it did not bother me. We spent more than I would like at the arcade, and I thought the price to feed the animals at the park was a bit high ($25 for a bucket of feed for all the anmimals), but overall we were very pleased and will be back again!

Room Tip: The Nomad room has two queens and a queen size sleeper - perfect for larger families.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
I'm glad that everyone had a great spring break vacation! We build our waterparks for everyone; ages 0 to 100 so I'm glad that your entire family had a blast. There is lots to do & play in the arcade, I would like to recommend our Choose Your Own Adventure package for your next trip, it allows you & your family to select from several activities to do while you're here! Thank you for choosing Kalahari Resort!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (852)
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed April 19, 2014

This was our first, but certainly not last trip to Kalahari Resort! My twin 8 y/o and I agree...we all had a wonderful time. Our room was extremly spacious and very clean. The beds were comfortable. The digital temp. control in the room is always a plus! The only disappointment was eating at the buffet the first night we were there. Little selection for the price and frankly the food was mediocre at best. Majority of foods had "sauces" that were not to my liking. Perhaps offering more seafood selections. The carved meat was inedible. I will say the hospitality of the staff was superior...there was not a hallway I walked down nor a water ride that they assisted me which someone didn't ask how my stay was going or how I liked the resort. Everyone smiled and was extremely pleasant and helpful! Customer service is impecable! Definitely would recommend!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thanks for the great review Kristy! I'm thrilled you and your 8 yr old twins all agreed that everyone had a wonderful time! I greatly appreciate your compliments of our staff, I will be sure to pass them on. I have already passed your comments about the buffet onto our Food & Beverage Director, we will remain in hopes that you will give our buffet a second chance on your next visit. We look forward to the pleasure of having you & your boys as our guests again. Take Care!
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed April 18, 2014

My family love Kalahari one thing that needs to change is the water park hours needs to be longer with the summer coming visitors will love to hang out longer at the water park instead of closing at nine can close at ten or eleven. Please consider otherwise it is a great place to be with your family.

Room Tip: Corner suites are the best because there is a lot of room for everyone to hang out.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Hi Temika! Thank you so much for your review! I'm very happy that you & your family love Kalahari! We do change our hours to adjust to occupancy & seasons, during peak times such as spring break & summer we do stay open until 10 pm. We hope to see you again soon!
Orchard Park, New York
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Our family of five stayed in the African Queen suite, which had plenty of space. The two showers were a plus upon returning from the waterpark. The layout of the room made it better for parents to have a good trip, as they can have a separate space. We didn't know the room had a microwave and fridge, which was a definite plus. The location was definitely not great, as we had a long walk to the waterpark, restaurants, and just about anything else. This would be difficult if you forget something for the waterpark.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Hi David! The African Queen suite is a great suite for families, I'm disappointing you felt it was a long walk to the waterpark & restaurants. Ultimately, I hope you had a blast & created fantastic memories with your family. I remain in hopes of seeing you again soon.
Detroit
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Doug at the valet (free for disabled) was incredibly nice and helpful and very welcoming. I am disabled with a rollator but the place is so big so he got me a loaner wheelchair, talked to our kids about their offerings, etc. In the arcade my daughter won a giant soccer ball instead if the volleyball she really wanted and a staff member went into the game and swapped it out for her. What a sweet, unheard of gesture! Nick, supervisor at the pool, saw me and got me their aquachair--a wheelchair that goes in their lazy river! I had no idea such a thing existed but he wanted me to enjoy the place too and made sure I did! Wow!

Accessible room was large with grab bars and was fine and had fridge and micro. Headboard rattled loosely against the wall so we took one down and solved that problem. Bed was surprisingly comfortable. Linens were a bit of a problem: cheapy sheets were clean but slippery and not fitted so required a lot of retucking. I always remove hotel bedspreads since they obviously aren't laundered. This time my husband told the housekeeper about an obvious "spill" on one of the bedspread when we arrived and instead of replacing them, she remade the beds and put the same ones back on the beds.

Food wasn't great in any if the restaurants. All were quite expensive. Buffet was a disappointment. Very little fruit, veggies soaked in some kind of "butter sauce," chicken and fish swimming in sauces. Expensive. Very few healthy food choices in the resort. If we go again, I'll bring some healthy food for the room. Oh, to be fair, my husband said the filet at the Reserve was cooked perfectly which was a nice surprise.

A fun place for kids, even older ones. Convenience and incredible staff make up for minor snafus. We will likely be back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review us! I appreciate all your comments! I will be sure to pass your compliments onto Doug & Nick I'm so happy that they were able to assist you! I apologize that the housekeeper did not completely replace the bedspread and that the buffet disappointed you. In the future we have some some packages that are very popular with our guests such as the Fantastic Family Getaway or Choose your Own Adventure. We appreciate you choosing Kalahari & hope we have the opportunity to have you as our guest again in the future.
Tecumseh, Michigan
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Our family had an awesome time at Kalahari, highly recommend it as a quick, relaxing two or three day get away. Great quality family time with our 8/10/12 year old children. We plan on returning this summer to give the outdoor area a try.

Room Tip: If your choosing a room, i recommend upgrading, the extra space makes all the difference. I would al...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Hi Joseph! I'm so happy that you & your family had an awesome time! The Safari Outdoor Adventure Park is open during the summer and has zip lines, ropes course, climbing walls & a zoo! We look forward to seeing you this summer!
Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

My family had a great time, It was a fabulous little gateaway friends recommended us to go to Kalahari and I now will recommend everyone also. Chatham, ontario . Our kids were happy and safe wherever they went. It's a great place to relax and not worry about anything.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank DePelsmaeke
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Hi! I'm so happy that you had a fabulous getaway with your friends! I'm also very glad that your children were happy & you felt safe. We can't wait until you come again to play & relax! Thank you for recommending us!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandusky
Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
Great Wolf Lodge
Great Wolf Lodge
#6 of 35 in Sandusky
Cedar Point's Hotel Breakers

Been to Kalahari Resorts & Conventions? Share your experiences!