“Super attentive, friendly staff makes up for minor shortcomings.”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Detroit
“Super attentive, friendly staff makes up for minor shortcomings.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

Doug at the valet (free for disabled) was incredibly nice and helpful and very welcoming. I am disabled with a rollator but the place is so big so he got me a loaner wheelchair, talked to our kids about their offerings, etc. In the arcade my daughter won a giant soccer ball instead if the volleyball she really wanted and a staff member went into the game and swapped it out for her. What a sweet, unheard of gesture! Nick, supervisor at the pool, saw me and got me their aquachair--a wheelchair that goes in their lazy river! I had no idea such a thing existed but he wanted me to enjoy the place too and made sure I did! Wow!

Accessible room was large with grab bars and was fine and had fridge and micro. Headboard rattled loosely against the wall so we took one down and solved that problem. Bed was surprisingly comfortable. Linens were a bit of a problem: cheapy sheets were clean but slippery and not fitted so required a lot of retucking. I always remove hotel bedspreads since they obviously aren't laundered. This time my husband told the housekeeper about an obvious "spill" on one of the bedspread when we arrived and instead of replacing them, she remade the beds and put the same ones back on the beds.

Food wasn't great in any if the restaurants. All were quite expensive. Buffet was a disappointment. Very little fruit, veggies soaked in some kind of "butter sauce," chicken and fish swimming in sauces. Expensive. Very few healthy food choices in the resort. If we go again, I'll bring some healthy food for the room. Oh, to be fair, my husband said the filet at the Reserve was cooked perfectly which was a nice surprise.

A fun place for kids, even older ones. Convenience and incredible staff make up for minor snafus. We will likely be back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review us! I appreciate all your comments! I will be sure to pass your compliments onto Doug & Nick I'm so happy that they were able to assist you! I apologize that the housekeeper did not completely replace the bedspread and that the buffet disappointed you. In the future we have some some packages that are very popular with our guests such as the Fantastic Family Getaway or Choose your Own Adventure. We appreciate you choosing Kalahari & hope we have the opportunity to have you as our guest again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (843)
Tecumseh, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

Our family had an awesome time at Kalahari, highly recommend it as a quick, relaxing two or three day get away. Great quality family time with our 8/10/12 year old children. We plan on returning this summer to give the outdoor area a try.

Room Tip: If your choosing a room, i recommend upgrading, the extra space makes all the difference. I would al...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Hi Joseph! I'm so happy that you & your family had an awesome time! The Safari Outdoor Adventure Park is open during the summer and has zip lines, ropes course, climbing walls & a zoo! We look forward to seeing you this summer!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

My family had a great time, It was a fabulous little gateaway friends recommended us to go to Kalahari and I now will recommend everyone also. Chatham, ontario . Our kids were happy and safe wherever they went. It's a great place to relax and not worry about anything.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank DePelsmaeke
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Hi! I'm so happy that you had a fabulous getaway with your friends! I'm also very glad that your children were happy & you felt safe. We can't wait until you come again to play & relax! Thank you for recommending us!
Madison Heights, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

The four boy's and I had a GREAT time with so many different things to do like the arcade, glow mini golf, live animals, great food and the amazing water park with all kinds of activity for the whole family, wasn't able to do it all with the one night stay so next year will have to make it a two night trip

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank poppichullo73
Hello & thank you for the accolade of "World's Best Water Park"! I am thrilled that you & your boys had such a great time in the arcade, playing mini-golf, seeing the animals, enjoying the waterpark & dining in our restaurants. It is alot to do in just one day! For your next visit you may want to look into some of our packages like the Fantastic Family Getaway or Choose Your Own Adventure, you can select different activities based on your family's interests. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

We arrived around 12, and our Hut Room was available. Check in is at 4, but you can start using the park at 12. The park was clean, food was good, and everybody was helpful. The cabanas are nice! Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Hello! I'm so glad you are aware that you can use the waterpark as early as noon on the day you check-in! The cabanas are a fantastic spot to relax in & have a gathering area for your family. We look forward to the pleasure of having you as our guest again in the near future. Thank you for taking the time to review us, we appreciate all of of your comments.
Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

Just spent a nice 2 night getaway. Stayed in the African Suite with 5 people. Everything from the spacious very clean room to every staff member we had contact with was spot on. Although, the rooms are expensive I felt they are worth the money. As far as the cost of food and drinks appeared to be in line with other resort of these kinds. The only thing that needs some improvement would be with the quality of the food at The Karoo. We will definitely return and request a room on a floor other then the ground level. Felt like we were unable to have any privacy when using the patio.

1 Thank Bill D
Hi Bill! I'm just thrilled that you & your family had a nice weekend getaway! It's good to hear that everything from your guest room to our staff met or exceeded your expectations. Thank you for taking the time to review us & share your experience, I will be sure to pass your comments onto our management team. We look forward to having you as our guest again soon!
travelinmama11
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

We just got back a few days ago and we are already planning on going back! We had such a great time.

I took my two boys (ages 4 and 8) during spring break and it was the perfect getaway. The place was very busy given that it was spring break, but it didn't feel crowded because the place is so spacious. We never had to wait long for anything. All the staff was very friendly and helpful, seemed to genuinely care about our stay. Abbie, one of the waitresses at the breakfast buffet, was an absolute peach - my boys are still talking about how nice she was to them.

The only problem we had was at dinner at The Reserve (a restaurant within the hotel). We went for an early dinner (around 5pm) and the place was nearly empty - but the hostess couldn't figure out where we were supposed to sit. We were left standing for around 5 minutes while they figured it out, but once that was taken care of there were no more issues.

The hotel rooms were very clean and well kept. We happened to have a room with a fireplace and balcony so that was extra nice. The entire place - waterpark, arcade, lobby - were always clean and tidy.

This really is a great family-friendly resort. And not too bad of a price. I purchased the Fantastic Family of Four getaway (even though it was just me and my boys) but it was pretty inclusive with little out-of-pocket costs. A very reasonable spring break getaway. We will be going back again soon!

1 Thank travelinmama11
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Hello! I'm so thrilled that everyone, including your two boys had such a great time that you are already planning another trip! I appreciate all the compliments on the staff, your room, waterpark, arcade & lobby. I've already passed on your comments to our Food & Beverage Director & I'll be sure to let Abbie know the positive impression she left with your boys. I'm glad you enjoyed the Fantastic Family Getaway, it's a popular package. We look forward to having you as our guest again soon!