“Great family fun!”

Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Mattawan, Michigan
“Great family fun!”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

The room was absolutely gorgeous! Great value, just have to look for specials. Very clean and plenty of towels! The Candy Hut is amazing and so was the coffee! The water park has something for everyone!! Looking forward to going again soon!

• Stayed April 2014
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Thank you so much for the great review! I'm just thrilled that you enjoyed everything from your room, to the restaurants & waterpark. We look forward to having you as our guest again very soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (852)
Yale, Michigan
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Decided to come to Kalahari for a weekend with my Mom, Daughter and son. First time ever being there. The place is beautiful. Decor is awesome. Our room was very nice, clean and plenty of room for the 4 of us. We had a desert room and the only complaint I have is that we were in the part of the hotel that was the farthest from the water park and main part of the hotel.

When we went the Water Park was very crowded so we did not end up spending alot of time in the water park as there was barely any where to set your things or sit if you wanted to get out of the pool. I think when the outside water park is open the amount of crowding may be less.

We went to the Buffet restaurant the first night. Food was pretty good, dessert buffet was huge and most of them were very good. I thought the buffet was kinda expensive though at 24.99 per person. In the morning we went to the buffet breakfast at The Reserve again the breakfast was awesome. All in all, the food was very good at all the places we went to. But everything there is kinda pricey.

Best part of the trip was they had a baby tiger and Lion there and we got to get our pictures taken with them and got to pet them. The kids were excited and so was my mom.

I would go back again but would look for a better deal on lodging and plan better for meals.

Room Tip: To be closer to the waterpark, get a hut room.
1 Thank Christine H
Hi Christine! Thank you for choosing Kalahari & taking the time to review us & let us know about your experiences. Spring break is a busy time & you are correct; when the outdoor watepark opens (Memorial Day weekend) it does help guests spread out more. The picture with the tiger cub is a great keepsake & I'm glad you took advantage of it. I would like to suggest checking out some of our packages, many include meals such as the Fantastic Family Getaway or the Choose Your Own Adventure. I hope we have the pleasure of having you as our guest again soon!
Toledo
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We had a great stay at Kalahari! The water park was clean and fun, and the lines weren't too bad. I hate staying in hotels but the room was clean and well stocked. My son is 10 and went on every waterslide! The dining in the resort is so expensive, the buffet was $19.99/adult and the other restaurant had NO vegetarian options! The arcade was overpriced as well. We chose to eat out at Buffalo Wild Wings for dinner which is just down the road (and they have an awesome veggie black bean burger). Overall, we had a great time.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Ands01
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
I'm thrilled to hear you had a great time! I'm also glad your son rode every water slide we have! I would like to suggest one of our packages the next time you come, Fantastic Family Getaway or the Choose Your Own Adventure packages include meals. We do offer vegetarian options in all of our restaurants, & I apologize that the server did not bring that to your attention. I will be sure that our Food & Beverage Director is aware. I hope we have the pleasure of having you as our guest again soon.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Great Experience, the room was incredible but the indoor waterpark was the reason for the trip. I understand we went during spring break and the wait for rides was appropriate, not that bad. The park was 100% staffed which is much better than other resorts I've stayed at in Ohio. "i.e. Cincinnati" Our food was great, we didn't leave for the 3-day visit and wouldn't change if we did it again. I recommend the "inclusive" package when you book, you won't regret it. Prices were where you would expect, arcade and golf give you plenty of dry time options, and the kids loved the animals they got to see. Everything was clean everywhere, staff very accommodating and friendly, resort is kept up, nice place.

Room Tip: Get the King suite, loved the extra space!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thanks for the great review Chris! I'm so happy that you had a great experience with your room, the waterpark, food & arcade. I appreciate you recommending the packages, the Fantastic Family Getaway is popular & so is the Choose Your Own Adventure. Thank you for choosing Kalahari for your Spring Break!
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed April 1, 2014

My husband and I came for my birthday/valentine celebration and we had a great time, our package included a $50 foodandbeverage card which was great. We ordered food and had it delivered to the room since we had our newborn with us. Im excited to come back this summer when my little boy is bigger and will be able to enjoy the waterpark area for little tots. Thanks to all the staff that made our stay great!

-The West's

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Hi Alisha! I'm so thrilled you have a great time & enjoyed the package that you purchased. We can't wait to have you back & for your little guy to enjoy the kiddie areas! See you soon!
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed March 31, 2014

A pool side family pizza, $40.00 but don't count on getting your order right and after waiting 20 min you'll settle for what they give you! The Reserve Restaurant when busy may very will mess up your order, but after waiting 45 min after ordering, you'll eat what you get. Since it's a pricey menu, you'd expect more. Since we had a child on a respirator the general staff went out of their way to accommodate us. Kudos to the pool mgr. and staff. Paramedics, and front desk and housekeeping personnel! They went beyond expectations to accommodate us! Lines for the best rides; bring a waterproof book! Don't worry about the chlorine, 2 to 3 hrs after check out you'll recover.

1 Thank Cem11815
Hello, first I would like to apologize for the delays with your dining experience. Our Food & Beverage Director would like to have more information on your dining experience, if you would please email me your info at KRizzo@KalahariResorts.com I will pass it onto him. I am very glad to hear the rest of your trip was good & you enjoyed yourself. Thank you!
Twinsburg, Ohio, United States
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Visit to Kalahari with family of 5 in March 2014. First, the reason you go here is the water park. It was really loud and got seriously crowded. Lines for the best rides grew long about 90 minutes after park opened. Chlorine was in full force as eyes were burning after first hour. Food options were plentiful, however very expensive as you can imagine. Suggest stopping someplace on the way and picking up water and snacks for the room. The room we had was a suite, with three beds, plus a pull out sofa and two bathrooms. This was a really nice option for a larger family. Everyone had a place to sleep and there was not much waiting for a bathroom. Most meals ended up being quick snacks or sandwiches. Kids loved the game room and we also did a round or glo-golf (9 holes). Worth the price to get away in the winter.

Room Tip: Kitchen in the park leaves a little to be desired. Eat before swimming or just order a pizza for the...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Hi William! Thank you for taking the time to review us! I see that you visited us during Spring Break, which is a busy time. While some families do love coming during the week, I do understand that may not always be an option. One suggestion, is during the summer, the outdoor facilities and the Safari Outdoor Adventure Park do help to disburse some crowds on popular weekends. Also be sure to check out our packages that include breakfast & dinner such as the Choose Your Own Adventure. We hope to have the pleasure of having you as our guest again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandusky
Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
Great Wolf Lodge
Great Wolf Lodge
#6 of 35 in Sandusky
Cedar Point's Hotel Breakers

Been to Kalahari Resorts & Conventions? Share your experiences!