“Awesome” 5 of 5 bubbles

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
“Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

We go with a group of friends every year to a water park and we had a great time this year at Kalahari we can't wait to go back next year. The park itself was clean with a great atmosphere, the value is good too.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Thanks for your great review! We can't wait to have you & your friends back again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (839)
Harrison Township, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

The resort is beautiful, this was my second time staying at Kalahari. The breakfast buffet and the reserve restaurant always have great tasting food. The water park is kept very clean, i have never had a problem with any staff or other guest, just great family fun. The things I don't like are, how expensive the rooms are, also that the 21 and up Jacuzzi swim up bar closes at 10 pm. Other than that I love KALAHARI!!!

Room Tip: If you don't want to walk a mile or two to your room, request a room close to the lobby be sure...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review us & for being a repeat guest! I'm glad you enjoy our resort. Have you looked into our packages online, many include meals at restaurants & other activities, Fantastic Family Getaway & Chose your Own Adventure are guest favorites. Again, thank you for being our guest!
Macomb, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

We just returned after bringing our kids and extended family to the Hotel for winter break. Staff was wonderful, everything was spotless, and the waterpark was great. Would highly Kalahari to every family looking for a tropical vacation without having to go far. Already planning a return trip. Diane at the desk of the sands went out of her way to make our trip unforgettable.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Sands area of the hotel. My kids loved it.
Macomb, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

We have been staying at Kalahari for our winter break for the last 8 years. We always have a great time and the staff goes out of their way to make sure we have the best stay possible. Clean comfortable rooms awesome water park and fun fun fun... Can't wait for next year.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
We Love-Love-Love having you! Thank you for coming back 8 years in a row, that is the best compliment you could give us! I will be sure to pass your compliments onto all of our departments! We can't wait for you to visit us again!
Lorain, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

I had a few bad experiences with life guards in the lazy river (Because I had a scared 3 year old with me and the life guards didn't understand that my child was scared and they wanted nothing other than for me to abide by their rules).
The cleanliness of the hotel and water park was superior.
I wanted to express my sincere gratitude to a housekeeper on the main floor, his name is Erdis. We stayed on the 6th floor and Erdis went up and above his call of duty to assist us. He is an asset to the organization!! Great job Eridis.

Room Tip: We stayed in a suite. It had everything that we needed. I highly recommend a suite to anyone with ch...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hi Tina! I appreciate you taking the time to review us. Guest feedback is the best tool we have to address positive & negative issues. I have already passed on your comments & we will address the situation with our life guards. We will also pass on your comments to Erdis, I know how much comments such as yours mean to our associates. Thank you!
Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

We stayed at Kalahari 2 years ago and had a great experience, so we were super excited to go back last weekend. Unfortunately, Kalahari has gone way down in quality and service. First, I reserved a Nomad room online and we were really looking forward to having a fireplace while it was snowing outside. We checked in and got to our room and there was no fireplace. Went out to the front desk and was told our reservation was for a Desert room. I pulled out my email confirmation and nowhere on the confirmation did it state what type of room I selected. I definitely clicked on the Nomad room on the reservation website, but couldn’t prove it since the email confirmation didn’t state what type of room I chose. I wish I had taken a picture with my phone. I explained this to the front desk clerk and she said all of the Nomad rooms were full. I asked to talk to the manager and he came out and was just downright rude. He acted like I was lying. He said all he could offer us was a card for the arcade (all of $12.50). We decided we were going to still try to have fun and not let the front desk people ruin our trip. Next, we had dinner at The Great Karoo. We were seated and waited and waited. I saw a waitress walk by and asked if we could order our drinks. Her response “I’m busy”. We decided to go up to the buffet since no one was helping us. We were halfway done with our food before a waitress came over to ask for our drink order. Next to the water park, the lines were incredibly long and when we got to the top of one ride we find 2 workers just chit chatting, not about work, and ignoring the people in line. All of the workers seemed bored. The next day we ate in The Reserve. The last time we ate there, my daughters loved the Chicken Pagoda salad and the Kalahari Garden. They ordered these again and were completely disappointed. The salad came out and looked like someone had just thrown some lettuce and wontons on a plate. No oranges, no flower, no pretty presentation. My other daughter ordered the Kalahari Garden and it came without the kettle steaming which she loved the first time she ordered it. She also asked for chop sticks, but the waitress kept forgetting and brought them at the end of the meal. Also on the second day, we waited until 2:30 to go back to the room thinking that would be long enough for the maid to have come in. Well, it wasn’t. We get back to the room ready to relax and 5 minutes later the maid comes and asks if we need service. I said yes and to come back in 20 minutes. She acted very annoyed and said ok. We all left so she could clean the room and we come back to find that all she did was make the beds. No clean towels, no new coffee, trash and dirty cups still on the counter. To top it all off, it was during the Olympics and NBC didn’t come in on our television. I'm really not someone who usually complains, but this experience was a complete disappointment! Kalahari is going to keep losing repeat customers like us, if they don't improve their service and quality. We will not be going back.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Janet R
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Hi Janet, I am very thankful you have taken the time to review us, however I am very discouraged to hear about your recent stay with us. I am very sorry to hear about your experience and so appreciate you sharing this with us. Please know, I have already taken your feedback and connected with our management team. We will be addressing all of your concerns. However, I would love to look into this further for you and connect personally. Would you please email me directly your contact info: KRizzo@KalahariResorts.com. I again, can't thank you enough for taking the time to review us and hopefully connect with me further. I hope that I have the opportunity to connect with you soon. Take care!
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

My family of six visited Kalahari this past weekend. We stand in a room with two queen size beds and a pull out couch (Desert Sands). Check-in was a bit of a nightmare with large crowds trying to get rooms from only two staff members, but after a 20 minute wait the staff member who checked us in was pleasant and helpful. The process for us did not take long once we received help. Navigating the maze of rooms was challenging with a loading luggage cart but we were pleased when we reached the room. It was large with plenty of space for a large family to sleep comfortably. We brought crock pots to heat food to save some money. There are plenty of places to eat at the resort but they are pricey.

The excitement began when we reached the waterpark. WOW! What a great time. My fiance and I had four children with us, 14, 11, 8 and 5. There was plenty of fun to do for all. They even had several bars so we could get a drink or two while relaxing. I cannot say enough about how fun all the slides and pools were. We especially appreciated the indoor/outdoor hot tubs to warm up after swimming for a while.

I highly recommend a visit. Bring some cash as your money can be spent easily. If you are smart, however, you can find some ways to save money like we did with the crock pots.

Room Tip: There are some really nice rooms. We opted for cheap instead but our room was still adequate and cl...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
We appreciate you passing along your thoughts & sharing your experience. I'm thrilled to hear every member of your family had a great time. We hope to see you & your family again!