“not so great”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #3 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed August 11, 2008

the water park is great...when the rides are open. the park was at capacity and most of the slides were closed. there are not enough inner tubes for the amount of people, it seemed as though there were only 50 tubes for 500 people! check in is a chaotic nightmare and findiing a 'golden cart' for luggage transport is near impossible, and when we asked an employee for help, he told us to check each floor of the hotel for a cart! Service is seriously lacking and frankly, we will not be returning.

2  Thank 3dudleys
Write a ReviewReviews (3,761)

Reviewed August 10, 2008

We did not stay at the resort we are simply Sandusky locals who have a 10 yo. child that earned a free pass to the waterpark for perfect attendance in the 07 - 08 school year. When we showed up at the allowed time and allowed day we were turned away with a worthless pass and my credit card at the ready. No reason was given to us, just a sign pushed in front of me..literaly...(No outside admittance until further notice) when I asked what that was about, the young girl simply turned the sign a little more toward me and read what it said with an attitude. My impression was we were not welcome since we were not spending hundreds of dollars a night in the resort, because looking around the park I saw no sign of it being over crowded, no long lines at the slides or over crowded pools.

I will also be contacting the Sandusky schools to tell them and ask they not bother doing buisness with this place. My son was heartbroken needless to say after the preperation and anticipation and a 1 5mile drive round trip for nothing My wife and I were just a little ticked.

2  Thank tom_rSanduskyOhio
Reviewed August 10, 2008

We just got back from a two night 3 day trip. Family of 5 (38,35,9,5 and 2.).

Check in - Room was ready at 11:00am when we arrived

Room - Standard two queen beds, fridge and microwave. Room was VERY clean and restocked the next day. Bonus was the balcony over looking the pool (room 6513). Beds were comfortable. Flat screen TV.

Food- We had dinner at the Kahunaville- nice place with good music and entertainment for the kids bill for 5 with tip added in as we had 10 in our party was $65. Food was above average. Staff was fun and friendly.

Aracade- The arcade uses the debit card system and gives no bonuses if you spend more. Average game uses 5 points so the money goes fast!! The prizes while a nice variety require 1000's of tickets for anything other then candy or small stuffed animals. the games were fun just don't expect to get anything of value for the money.

Hotel - Abover average. Majority of employees were friendly and willing to help. Valet parking is pricey at $12/day

Waterpark- HUGE! We were there Wed/Thur and the lines were not bad at all. A little longer for the more popular rides but even at that maybe a 10min wait. I would imagine the lines could grow quite long on the weekends or in the winter months. Lifeguards are your typical teenagers. Some take their job seriously and others...well not so seriously. I would say 8 out of 10 guards were doing there jobs and maybe 6 out of ten were going above and beyond. There were a couple that should look elsewhwere for employment. While there are things to do for the under 48" crowd, the main attractions are for those 48" and above. Towels were abundant. Waterpark food was average and about $7 per meal. BE CAREFUL OF THE SLIPPERY FLOORS, PARTICULARLY IN FRONT OF THE VICTORIA FALLS EXIT!! Restrooms and locker rooms were roomy and clean. Long wait for the flow rider (to be expected)

Total spent including room.meals,arcade,waterpark and pretty much having an open wallet $650

Woulf definetly go back, just maybe leaving the itller ones at home.

1  Thank thall17
Reviewed August 9, 2008

We took some of our family, 2 adults and 3 young grandchildren, to Kalahari for a 3 day stay and had an enjoyable time. We booked a suite with 2 bedrooms and a kitchen which was very nice. The room was very clean and the kitchen fairly well equipped. With really little kids, the kitchen was a life saver. Little ones don't really eat, but graze! We tried to dine out with them, but they were so distracted by the activity in the restaurant that they really never ate.

The little ones loved the water park. There was literally something for every age group there. The park was very clean and seemed quite safe for the kids. There were adequate life vests and towels for everyone. It is noisy, so if you are expecting a quiet time at the park, that probably won't work for you.

We went one of the days to Cedar Point which everyone enjoyed. The little ones got completely worn out and had to be packed out to a very, very large parking lot by equally tired grandparents. Cedar Point is really huge, and a bit overwhelming when you have really young children. Kalahari was more manageable for the kids, and they seemed to enjoy it more.

We will probably go again next year with them. We wouldn't stay there on our own, but with the family, it was a terrific "memory vacation" for the little ones.

The negative of the resort is that check-in is a rodeo! Parking was chaotic. Trying to get your car loaded and unloaded is mass hysteria. You are given a map at check-in and left on your own devices to find your way around. There are a lot of inexperience people working at the resort, and they tend to point in general directions rather than communicate things very well. It took about a day of exploring to figure out the lay of the land. The room had some wear and tear on the window shades. Several slats were missing in our bedroom shade.

Positives is the room layout allowed privacy and the kitchen was great. The play area was really nice for getting the kids out of the water. We found the food pretty good and not exceptionally pricey. The gift shop was reasonable.

1  Thank av8tr
Reviewed August 8, 2008

- If you go I suggest taking some hand sanitizer or you may be like myself and my girlfriend sick for that last two days.

The water park is nice the hotel is nice but it is poorly operated to say the least. I have had more enjoyment staying at a hotel than I had here.

The staff is young and inexperienced in the customer service realm.

The water park has numerous pools of water not the ones you swim in but the ones that sit there and become stagnant and grow bacteria like the one on the steps in the new side of the water park.

We paid $450.00 for two nights and man was it not worth it, needless to say we will probably not go here again unfortunately due to a lack of control within its staff and a lack of cleanness in the hotel.

Don't say I didn't warn you, but you better bring your hand sanitizer and keep your mouth closed when your in the water or you will get sick.

3  Thank gobucks09
Reviewed August 6, 2008

I spent a day at the waterpark in Sandusky, Oh. I took my 7 yr. old daughter, her 6 yr. old cousin, and my 3 yr. old grandson. We went just for the waterpark. The admission price after 5pm was ludicrous. We paid $38.00 a piece, and they also charged that for my 3 yr. old grandson, which was ridiculous because 80% of the stuff he couldn't even get on, and the things that he could get on were closed. I will never pay that price again, I don't know that I would even visit that park again. Most employees that I tried to talk to were not very friendly and they were rude. Kalahari if that is the way you are going to run things, then I won't be back. I am a local person and I would love to bring my children and grand children there. But your prices STINK. I don't expect anything for free, but come on Kalahari...

3  Thank BigRhonda
Reviewed August 3, 2008

We just returned from a trip which included a night at the Kalahari. We had a great time. We thought the resort was very clean. Our room seemed (and smelled) nearly new. We booked a room for $199 during the week. I thought that was a great price since the waterpark tickets for a daypass are about $40 for an adult. The water park is huge with tons of big slides and a huge wave pool. It is like an outdoor waterpark that is indoors. It was kind of crowded on the evening we arrived, but we went as soon as they opened in the morning and waited very little for anything. We rode almost every ride in about an hour, some slides more than once. It was alot of fun, and we would go back again.

1  Thank GoIndianaHoosiers