“Wish there had not been a hiccup”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed December 11, 2013

This is the email I tried to send to as many people at Kalahari I could find...We have stayed at Kalahari many times and have always very much enjoyed the trip. This stay however had an incident that may have us looking at other options. On the evening of 12/3/13, three of my children were playing in the Treetop play area for a couple of hours, ages 8, 7, and 2. Now my 2 year old needed some help and the 8 year old was climbing through with him, no problems, nothing said to anyone. My 8 year old is aprox. 54in. On the morning of 12/4/13, before we departed, instead of the water park, my kids opted to play in the Treetops again. As the tree of them headed in the staff member there, I believe her name was Vicki, shorter, older lady, held out her arm as my 8 year old tried to go in, telling her she was too big. This prompted me to explain to Vicki that they played in this same area the night before for hours. Vicki became extremely confrontational, telling me "she's not playing in it while I'm here" to which I told my 8 year old to go play as I was handling the situation. Vicki then said she was going to get a manager and I encouraged her to do so. Then she stated she was going to get security, again, I encouraged her to do what ever it was she needed to do. As I turned my back to walk away, my wife and my 7 year old witnessed Vicki give me the middle finger. I turned to confront about this, which she of course denied vehemently. At the point she walked in to a staff area and several minutes later, Christine, who introduced her self as a Cashiers Manager, arrived. She explained to me that the Treetops area was for children 53in. or shorter per manufacturer specs and that is why my child could not play. She apologized for the inconsistencies with the policy not being enforced the night before. She then explained some disciplinary action would be taken with Vicki and took her to the staff area as another worker came to the play area. I removed my 8 year old at this time and had to hand over $20 for her to go to the extremely overpriced arcade. This type of behavior from Vicki is completely unacceptable in a place that prides itself on family entertainment. It would behoove you to remove this employee from your service, especially being so quick to anger and with her vulgarity around families. Furthermore, if a strict 53" policy is in place for the Treetops play area, why at 74" am I allowed to climb through with my smaller children or any other parent for that matter. A thorough policy review needs to be implemented for the play area as well as consistency in which rules are enforced through out the park

Room Tip: Ask to stay close to the Waterpark or you could end up walking 10 minutes, no joke!
4  Thank bmwusa19
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

While it seems that you had fun aside from this incident, I am terribly sorry to hear about this experience. We do have a strict height restriction on the play area to keep the smaller ones safe. We do not bend on this, but I am sorry to hear that there were inconsistencies from one day to the next. This will be addressed. As for our employee, I have already connected with our management team including HR and our GM. We will be sure to look into this and handle this accordingly. Thank you for letting us know and again I am very sorry to hear that this occurred at all. I do hope that in the future this will not hinder your decision to return, as I can assure you we are handling this appropriately. I can't thank you enough for taking a moment to let us know. Take care and thank you for your time.

There are newer reviews for Kalahari Resorts & Conventions

Reviewed December 8, 2013

I was there for a Holiday Party with my company this weekend. The atmosphere was amazing and the staff was very nice and helpful. Everything was impeccably clean. The dinner was great - hot food on a hot plate! My compliments to the chef- especially the Pastry Chef as dessert couldn't have been better. They even turned on a crucial football game so everyone could stay at the party.... Above and BEYOND!!! I got to talk to a few of the managers - Nikki and Bonnie, they were delightful! I didn't get to stay in the rooms, but everyone I talked to said their room was beautiful. I recommend it for your next event. Very classy!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Sounds like such a wonderful evening! Thank you so much for sharing as our team will just love to read this! We certainly strive to deliver beyond expectations, so I'm thrilled to hear you noticed that! Can't wait to see you again! Thank you so much for your time and see you soon!

Reviewed December 8, 2013

Kalahari is the absolute best time a family could have. The waterpark is meticulously clean and well maintained,as are the rooms. What sets this resort apart from the others is the staff. Every member is friendly and courteous. Never have I been so thoroughly impressed with the customer service as I was during my last stay. I will look forward to visiting this resort in the future.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Very impressed with the waterpark and amenities. Rooms were very clean and comfortable. Staff very friendly, especially Erdis. He let us look at a suite. Suite was beautiful and roomy. Think will book that next time.

• Stayed: December 2013
Kassie R, Social Media Coorinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Erdis is wonderful! We are very lucky to have him! Thank you for taking the time to share. We love the feedback. Looking forward to seeing you again soon! Take care!

Reviewed December 8, 2013

This was my 4 th time going here and every time we go everyone is always really nice! The hotel is really clean including our room. The waterpark is always clean too and it was nice that it wasn't too busy so we didn't have to wait too long in line. Next time we go we'll probably rent a cabana so we can all relax and be able to stay longer at the waterpark. Thank You so much for making our stay a pleasant one again! Have a Blessed day!

Room Tip: The room that we had last year on the first floor close to the waterpark was nice not too far to wal...
Reviewed December 5, 2013

We visit the Kalahari every year.....amazing experience every time.....worth every penny! Rented a cabana for the Ohio state Michigan game....Go bucks! Waitresses awesome.....restaurant staff made my daughter feel special on her birthday.....African suite

• Stayed: November 2013
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

I wanted to be sure to send you a quick note, thanking you for such a wonderful review! It is very much our pleasure to have you and we can't thank you enough! Looking forward to seeing you again soon! Take care!

Reviewed December 4, 2013

After a great day at the water park settled in to our room watching a movie my husband turns to me and says there's a bug crawling on your pillow I freaked out and took it in the bathroom to inspect yes it is a BEDBUG!!! After calling front desk they acted like they didn't care and said well bed bugs r everywhere! We inspected everything and immediately left. I will never return to this hotel establishment.

2  Thank ZOD33

We take concerns of this nature very seriously. Our team is fully trained in identifying and preventing the spread of Bed Bugs. On a very rare occasion, a guest can bring bed bugs in, it does not have to do with the cleanliness of the resort. If this happens, at that moment, our trained housekeeping team will identify and correct the issue. We have strict procedures we implement to ensure the situation is corrected. We also bring a state licensed professional and company to heat the room to ensure that the room is treated and properly corrected. As you would suspect, during this several day process, this area is completely closed off. Please make no mistake, our team is fully prepared and trained to address this concern. I'm sorry you feel as if we didn't care. Please know we take every precaution to ensure there is never any concern. I am happy to put you in touch with our Housekeeping Director. Please feel free to email me at KRizzo@KalahariResorts.com. If you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to let me know. I am more than happy to help! Take care.