“Family Fun”

Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Chardon, Ohio
“Family Fun”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We had a blast on our second visit to this resort. Both of our children, ages 3 and 7, were thoroughly entertained and can't wait to go back. Our package included the breakfast buffet each morning, which was surprisingly delicious. The staff was friendly and the entire resort was clean.

1 Thank Jaime B
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
I just wanted to send a quick note thanking you for taking the time to review us! Most certainly our pleasure to have you! We look forward to seeing you, your husband and the two kiddos again soon. Take care and see you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (846)
Macomb, Michigan
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We were staying at Kalahari for a late fall soccer tournament. The registration desk was extremely friendly and accommodating. Our room was a nice size and it had a sofa sleeper that was a nice surprise as my two boys do not like to sleep in the same bed with each other. The indoor waterpark is great. My youngest who is 11 loved every minute in there. The only complaint I have is the chlorine that is in the air inside the indoor park is so bad that by the end of the day while trying to get to sleep my throat was on fire from breathing in the air. I am sensitive to this and the rest of my family just had the burning eyes that comes with too much underwater fun. The housekeeping staff was great in getting us extra pillows and blankets very quickly. We had dinner once at the resort at The Reserve. The food was good. The rest of the time we ate out as the prices were a bit steep for us. All-in-all we enjoyed our weekend.

1 Thank mikeandstephtravel
Sounds like an awesome getaway doubled up with a Fall Soccer Tournament. So great to hear! Thank you so much for taking the time to review our resort. It was our pleasure to have you. I am sorry to hear about your irritation to the chemicals within the waterpark. We do take safety as our top priority, so we do test our levels twice a day at least. Hopefully when you return, you will not have as much of a reaction. Perhaps if the outdoor park is open, during the summer, that might help too. We look forward to seeing you and the family again soon. Take care and can't thank you enough for your time!
Temperance, Michigan
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I've been to Kalahari twice...once with the family and once for business. Everything about both experiences was wonderful...except the pancakes. I've been there twice. When we went as a family, we had breakfast and the pancakes were really terrible. Our waitress acknowledged that they were. This week, as I sat down with the convention speaker who was there to give a keynote on customer service, he asked our waitress to recommend something from the menu. She recommended the omelets and french toast and told us not to get the pancakes because they aren't very good. And she's right! (The omelette, by the way was delicious!)

Given that it's a family resort and pancakes are a staple for most kids, I would think changing that recipe would be an easy way to increase customer satisfaction.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Amy D
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Well I am just thrilled to hear whether it is for family fun or business, you had a blast and enjoyed it (aside from the pancakes). I hadn't heard that about the pancakes before, but I was sure to already connect with our Food & Beverage Director so that he can look into that for you. We appreciate that opportunity to make that concern better. We can't wait to see you and the family again soon! Take care and thank you for connecting with us!
North Ridgeville, Ohio
Reviewed October 26, 2013

The front desk was great but the housekeeping staff - not so much.

I was scheduled to give a social Media presentation at the COSE Small Business Convention and called ahead to request an early room arrival. The staff let me check-in 9 hours early without an additional charge. That was a pleasant surprise and much appreciated.

I later had a problem with the in-room microwave and a maintenance person arrived within 10 minutes and quickly fixed the problem.

When I finally decided to get some shuteye, I was shocked to see the huge stain on my bedding. Although it appears to be a damp stain - it was completely dry and about 8 inches wide. (That's my room key next to it for scale. As it was getting very late, I chose not to call housekeeping but slept in the other bed.

Based on the staff's prompt response to my other requests, I'm sure they would have changed the bedding quickly. It's unfortunate that something as obvious as this slipped by the housekeeper and her supervisor who signed a card saying she had inspected the room before my arrival.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mark M
Thank you Mark for connecting with us! While I'm glad that our team was able to accommodate you, I am extremely disappointed to see you bedding. I have already contacted our Housekeeping Team along with the Rooms Division Director and Guest Services Manager. With a little investigation from your TripAdvisor ID, I was able to find your reservation. I did ask our team to reach out to you directly. I would never want you to leave our resort with that lasting impression. I do hope that we can connect soon to bring some closure on this. Again, I am sorry for that experience you encountered. I hope that everything else went perfect while visiting us. Thank you for taking the time to connect with us and looking forward to speaking soon. Take care!
Plymouth, IN
Reviewed October 26, 2013

This is a very family oriented and friendly resort. The water park is exceptional for being an indoor water park! When we arrived we were asked if we would like to be upgraded to a better room for no additional charge. I am not sure why we were offered this, but it a nice surprise. The suite was very nice, but the A/C was noisy. The only reason I did not give it an excellent rating is there is no complimentary breakfast and most of the food prices were very high. You would think that a resort of this caliber would at least have a continental breakfast. I would recommend bringing your own breakfast (milk, cereal, donuts, etc.) if you want to save some money.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for giving us a try! Thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful Fall Break Getaway. It was most certainly our pleasure to have you. Unfortunately we don't have a continental breakfast as you noted, but I will be sure to pass your thoughts along. Every room does have a microwave and fridge in it, so many guests will bring their own breakfast as you noted. Another helpful tip, is that we do have many packages available that include breakfast. Those are listed on our site. Hopefully one of those will work out for you. Thank you again for taking the time to review us. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Buffalo, New York, United States
Reviewed October 25, 2013

first time there , had a great time , rooms were great, we had the family suite 2 bed rooms one king with on suite 1 with 2 queen beds and a pullout couch (needed a new mattress) fireplace, shower, patio , overlooking the zoo no complimentary
breakfast! over all great vacation place. hot tubs are amazing game room was huge and they had hands on pottery class

Room Tip: try and stay in the main building that's where everything is
Dearborn Heights, Michigan
Reviewed October 25, 2013

The resort is very gorgeous and very well up kept. We felt very welcome by the staff while checking in. We had endless things to do to keep us busy & having fun. Got back to the room to find out our heat didn't work in the room but thanks to the fireplace in the room we were able to stay warm. The staff at check out were very kind & courteous also. We then went to spend the day at the indoor waterpark. We had a great time until we were on our way out & stopped to get our deposit back on the locker we rented. The lady working the booth stated she couldn't give me my deposit back due to not having the receipt present. I told her we were only told to return with the key before the waterpark closed & we would get the deposit back. We followed the instructions & were denied my deposit back. I got so upset that I requested to speak to the manager. He came out and did nothing but upset me even more enough to request to speak to his boss. Ended up speaking to the resort manager, told her my problem I was being put thru and even she agreed that the rental system needs to be changed due to the problems it has been making for a lot of guests there. ***Why would the employees ask for my last name when renting out the locker if they cant even look up my last name in the system when returning the key?!?!? *** Nothing but a huge headache!!!

Room Tip: The reservation crew helped me out with finding the very best bang for my buck.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Let me start with saying that I am thrilled everyone had a great time. We can't thank you enough for visiting us and taking a moment to reach out to us. I am sorry to hear about the experience you went through. I agree, sounds extremely frustrating. I will connect with our team on this. Were you able to get taken care of by the Manager on Duty? If not, please let me know. KRizzo@KalahariResorts.com. Thank you again for your time and I am looking forward to seeing you again soon!