“Very accomodating staff but scary bedding”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
North Ridgeville, Ohio
“Very accomodating staff but scary bedding”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

The front desk was great but the housekeeping staff - not so much.

I was scheduled to give a social Media presentation at the COSE Small Business Convention and called ahead to request an early room arrival. The staff let me check-in 9 hours early without an additional charge. That was a pleasant surprise and much appreciated.

I later had a problem with the in-room microwave and a maintenance person arrived within 10 minutes and quickly fixed the problem.

When I finally decided to get some shuteye, I was shocked to see the huge stain on my bedding. Although it appears to be a damp stain - it was completely dry and about 8 inches wide. (That's my room key next to it for scale. As it was getting very late, I chose not to call housekeeping but slept in the other bed.

Based on the staff's prompt response to my other requests, I'm sure they would have changed the bedding quickly. It's unfortunate that something as obvious as this slipped by the housekeeper and her supervisor who signed a card saying she had inspected the room before my arrival.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mark M
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you Mark for connecting with us! While I'm glad that our team was able to accommodate you, I am extremely disappointed to see you bedding. I have already contacted our Housekeeping Team along with the Rooms Division Director and Guest Services Manager. With a little investigation from your TripAdvisor ID, I was able to find your reservation. I did ask our team to reach out to you directly. I would never want you to leave our resort with that lasting impression. I do hope that we can connect soon to bring some closure on this. Again, I am sorry for that experience you encountered. I hope that everything else went perfect while visiting us. Thank you for taking the time to connect with us and looking forward to speaking soon. Take care!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (858)
Plymouth, IN
Reviewed October 26, 2013

This is a very family oriented and friendly resort. The water park is exceptional for being an indoor water park! When we arrived we were asked if we would like to be upgraded to a better room for no additional charge. I am not sure why we were offered this, but it a nice surprise. The suite was very nice, but the A/C was noisy. The only reason I did not give it an excellent rating is there is no complimentary breakfast and most of the food prices were very high. You would think that a resort of this caliber would at least have a continental breakfast. I would recommend bringing your own breakfast (milk, cereal, donuts, etc.) if you want to save some money.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for giving us a try! Thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful Fall Break Getaway. It was most certainly our pleasure to have you. Unfortunately we don't have a continental breakfast as you noted, but I will be sure to pass your thoughts along. Every room does have a microwave and fridge in it, so many guests will bring their own breakfast as you noted. Another helpful tip, is that we do have many packages available that include breakfast. Those are listed on our site. Hopefully one of those will work out for you. Thank you again for taking the time to review us. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Buffalo, New York, United States
Reviewed October 25, 2013

first time there , had a great time , rooms were great, we had the family suite 2 bed rooms one king with on suite 1 with 2 queen beds and a pullout couch (needed a new mattress) fireplace, shower, patio , overlooking the zoo no complimentary
breakfast! over all great vacation place. hot tubs are amazing game room was huge and they had hands on pottery class

Room Tip: try and stay in the main building that's where everything is
Dearborn Heights, Michigan
Reviewed October 25, 2013

The resort is very gorgeous and very well up kept. We felt very welcome by the staff while checking in. We had endless things to do to keep us busy & having fun. Got back to the room to find out our heat didn't work in the room but thanks to the fireplace in the room we were able to stay warm. The staff at check out were very kind & courteous also. We then went to spend the day at the indoor waterpark. We had a great time until we were on our way out & stopped to get our deposit back on the locker we rented. The lady working the booth stated she couldn't give me my deposit back due to not having the receipt present. I told her we were only told to return with the key before the waterpark closed & we would get the deposit back. We followed the instructions & were denied my deposit back. I got so upset that I requested to speak to the manager. He came out and did nothing but upset me even more enough to request to speak to his boss. Ended up speaking to the resort manager, told her my problem I was being put thru and even she agreed that the rental system needs to be changed due to the problems it has been making for a lot of guests there. ***Why would the employees ask for my last name when renting out the locker if they cant even look up my last name in the system when returning the key?!?!? *** Nothing but a huge headache!!!

Room Tip: The reservation crew helped me out with finding the very best bang for my buck.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Let me start with saying that I am thrilled everyone had a great time. We can't thank you enough for visiting us and taking a moment to reach out to us. I am sorry to hear about the experience you went through. I agree, sounds extremely frustrating. I will connect with our team on this. Were you able to get taken care of by the Manager on Duty? If not, please let me know. KRizzo@KalahariResorts.com. Thank you again for your time and I am looking forward to seeing you again soon!
Avilla, Indiana
Reviewed October 24, 2013

A great Place to have real family time together. Have been there 3 times this year ! The Nomad room was great. The fire place was just right on nippy morning. The game room is the biggest I ever seen and the kids just love it. Nothing short of the finest resort. Thanks again for a wonderful stay !

Canandaigua, New York
Reviewed October 24, 2013

My wife and I visited Kalahari for a long weekend this past September for our anniversary. I cannot say enough good things about this resort. The room we had was fantastic, overlooked the rope course and petting zoo. We are a huge waterpark and Disney family and the wife and I have rated the indoor waterpark at Kalahari #3 on our list only after Disney's Typhoon Lagoon and SeaWorld's Aquatica. We loved the adult giant hot tub with the bar. A great place to unwind. We ate at the buffet restaurant and it was excellent with a huge variety of offerings, so many you cannot walk away without being stuffed. Although we did not have our kids with us, we saw many activities geared toward kids. Their arcade was unlike any we have ever experienced, no the usual 'pump the quarter in' games. The mini bowing alley's in the arcade were a blast and the mini golf was a lot of fun also. We were amazed to find out this whole resort was started from a Pizza place and has grown into Kalahari Resorts. Tasting the Pizza, we realized why, their Pizza was the best my wife and I have ever had.
The staff was outstanding, attending to our every need. All top notch! We plan on coming back with the kids over the winter so they can experience Kalahari as well!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
We're just so thrilled! I love that you were able to hear where our roots came from. Such an awesome story. I wanted to be sure to send you a quick note, thanking you for your time and visiting us! We can't wait to see you again as it was most certainly our pleasure to have you!
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I've been to Kalahari several times and stayed in a regular room, a whirlpool suite and the king lodge suite. The best by far is the Lodge suite, in our opinion, its the only way we stay at Kalahari, unless we had a large group, then we'd love to try a Villa! (Hint hint Kalahari: I see someone received a free upgrade, we'd love one of those) The lodge suite lets you spread out, the kids can have room to play and everyone is not on top of each other. The separate bedroom is wonderful as is the full kitchen. The bathroom does have an oversized jet-tub, which is nice to have. The rooms are clean and smell fresh and clean as well. I feel that the entire property is well maintained and the common areas are always clean and you always see a staff member around cleaning. I find the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The restaurants are wonderful, no complaints there. We ordered from the pizza place to our room and my husband and I kept commenting on how good it was! The cheese they use is amazing, highly recommend! The breakfast buffet was very good, and they have a carving station with sirloin and it is SO DELICIOUS! Breakfast buffet is $15 per person, but that sirloin makes it worth it. The prices are inflated all over the resort, but that's to be expected, right? I have to say I was shocked though when I ordered my Monster cocktail, it was $25!! And extremely weak, so that I'd say was a ripoff. Overall, we love Kalahari and will return again and again because the whole atmosphere is just great for us. I do have some very minor things though that could be improved though... in the toddler area there was some confusion about life vests. On Sunday evening, none of the children had life vests on (good for my youngest son, as they tend to ride up and choke him and I hold his hand the entire time anyway). But Monday morning, the lifeguards were telling everyone they had to be worn at all times. We don't mind, but it seems like the policy should be the same no matter who's lifeguarding. Speaking of lifeguards, in the wave pool there was a young man lifeguarding who was wearing some mirrored sunglasses, so each time he blew his whistle (which was often), you couldn't tell who he was looking at...so no one in the pool knew who needed to correct their behavior. We were all so confused! lol I noticed that someone else mentioned a crack in a picture frame in their room, we experienced the same and I did think that it should have been fixed or removed. Another thing about the lodge rooms, Ive noticed that some of them have the flat screen tv over the fireplace and some have it on the wall. We much prefer it over the fireplace, when its on the wall it makes it difficult to see. As far as the waterpark, I can't really comment too much on the rides because my kiddos are small, so we don't really go on the large ones just yet. Of course, if you go on the weekend, its going to be insane and you're going to have ignorant parents who let their kids run wild and have horrible manners. That's just the way things go. We've always stayed on a Sunday night and find that its wonderful, short lines and all the wild families with 20 kids have gone home. All in all, I highly recommend Kalahari to everyone. We just got back 4 days ago I'm already looking forward to our next trip!

Room Tip: Lodge suites are the best!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
We loved having you and the family! Thank you so much for taking a moment to review us. Noted the hint. :) Thank you for the feedback as well within the waterpark. The mirrored glasses, consistency with life jackets and TV placement. I will be sure to pass this along! You are so wonderful for visiting us and recommending us so frequently. We can't thank you enough! Looking forward to seeing you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandusky
Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
Great Wolf Lodge
Great Wolf Lodge
#6 of 35 in Sandusky
Cedar Point's Hotel Breakers

Been to Kalahari Resorts & Conventions? Share your experiences!