“Very nice place but shower broken.”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
“Very nice place but shower broken.”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

My sister treated me to a stay at this resort on Sunday 9/15/13 room 1224. We had a great time. The property, employees, and value were all above average. We did get up to leave before 6:00 am. We wanted to leave. We did not want to bother house keeping. The problem was in the bath. The water flow was slow and faucet mangled. The shower head did not work at all. WE MADE DO WITH RINSING OFF WITH A LITTLE BUCKET. We reported the problem as a courtesy to the next guests. The desk employee at that time was not authorized to make rate adjustments. We were instructed to bring it up on our next stay and, " maybe they would comp us a free meal or something." It was kind of ironic we could barley bath a water park. Other than the bathroom problem it was real nice. I have many other friends and family that have enjoyed Kalahari. Even with the little problem I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
While I'm happy to hear everyone had fun, I'm sorry to hear about your shower. I have followed up with our team to ensure that we did indeed get that corrected. Thank you for providing that info. Please accept my apologies for this leaving a negative impression on your stay. I am excited to hear that we will have the opportunity to see you again. Take care and see you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (858)
Cicero, Illinois
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We were going to Cedar Point amusement park for Hallow-weekend and decided to go up a day early and try out the Kalahari in Sandusky as we had stayed at the one in Wisconsin Dells. The Sandusky one is much bigger and much nicer than the Wisconsin Dells one. We had gotten an e-mail that the wave pool would be closed for maintenance on the 12th of September and that we could cancel with no penalty. We decided to go anyway and to our surprise the wave pool was open. On top of that we originally booked a hut room and they upgraded us to a two bedroom suite. The staff was very friendly, the room was beautiful and big and the indoor waterpark was a lot of fun. I am 49 and my son is 21 and we had a great time. I would definitely stay there again.

1 Thank catznbrats
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Sounds like an awesome bonding moment! Love it! Thank you so much for taking the time to share. We very much appreciate your feedback. We're super excited we were able to get the wave pool up and running ahead of schedule. We always try but better safe than sorry. Hopefully we can see you again soon. Looking forward! Hope you had fun with Hallow-Weekend.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Great place and friendly staff. Very well maintained. Excellent atmosphere from the Bellmen to the lifeguards/servers. Everyone went out of their way to be accommodating. So much to do and a great area even if you don't want to stay on the resort. We will be back!

Room Tip: Stay out of the main corridors as an option for your room. This was a huge disruption throughout the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
I just wanted to send a quick note thanking you for taking the time to review us! Certainly our pleasure to have you! I do hope that we can see you again soon! Take care!
Chesterfield, Michigan, United States
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Kalahari is awesome. We checked in with no problems til we got to the room and a table fell on my husbands leg. WE were upgrated with 3 different parties to the Sands. Great customer service and everyone was very friendly. WE cant wait to go back. Twice in a year is not enough for us. We wish we lived closer:(

Room Tip: the Sands, just come prepared to cook so you don't have to leave the resort!! or prepare quick e...
Green Features: great idea to save the soaps and bottles to less fortunate
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
United States
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Each year my husband travels to our hometown of Sandusky and golfs in a tournament...I don't usually go with him but for the past 3 years I have...we always choose Kalahari, not so much for the water activities, but rather the amenities, i.e.., spa, valet parking, rooms...It's a mini get away for us and we are able to enjoy our hometown and meet up with old friends. I go to the spa each year for a deep tissue massage; superb!

Room Tip: Choose room on the 2200 block, it's close to everything which minimizes walking. We had a suite...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Willowick, Ohio
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Went to Kalahari during a Groupon promotion period. The place was JAMMED PACKED! I've been to other indoor water parks so I will give my ratings based on its relationship to others. The slides we went on were all pretty good. The body slides were pretty fast but seemed short. The 4 person tube slides were pretty fun. The only bad thing was the lines. The normal tube slides were closed for some reason. I'd give the slides 4/5 with the disclaimer be ready to wait. The basketball shooting area wasnt as good as the other places. The area was pretty crammed and their design didn't make it any better 3/5. The flow rider was pretty sweet. They had the surfing one down for maint but the boogie boarding one was still a lot of fun. It looked like they were great with kids on it. Even though the kids would wipe out, they would get back up with the biggest smiles. Id give it a 5/5 if the surfing one was up, it wasnt so 4/5. The lazy river (had to find it first) was one of the best indoor lazy rivers ive been in. It was a little crammed, but there were a ton of waterfalls and fountains. 5/5. The roller coaster wasnt as good as Castaway Bay, but it was ok. 3/5. We didn't even attempt the wave pool because it was sooo packed. The actual water park itself was under construction and may be because of that it was hard to get around, but sometimes it was blocked off to get somewhere. The actual "resort" feel was really cool and there is a ton of stuff to do besides the actual water park (mini bowling, putt putt, arcade, treetops, safari). In the main lobby they had an area where you could take pictures with a baby lion (I think around 16 weeks old named Zeke). The lion was incredibly playful (look like our cat) and looked like he was having a lot of fun (he tired himself out lol) so that was really neat. The actual hotel room was great, pretty big and clean. No problems there. Overall it was a good time. My suggestions would be to go during the week, maybe it is less crowded. The place was under construction when we went and there were a few pool areas closed and the normal tube slides.

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I debated for months about adding kalahari to our cedar point weekend- mostly because I was concerned about their animal cruelty/care. (They separate young tigers from mothers and allow strangers to handle and pet for money etc, but that's another story!) however we finally came across a groupon deal and gave it a shot. We paid $140 for a Friday night and an additional $70 to upgrade to a king suite.

Check in went great: friendly courteous staff. Then we checked in our room. It was what I expected until I came across the "leather" couch and chairs. The couch had a huge hole in it and I could see the inside of the couch, the chairs and couch were in such poor condition I felt they were something out of a dumpster. I called guest relations and spoke with Linda. She told me that "there was nothing they could do for me monetarily, after all I was already there on a groupon rate." I explained how I felt paying $210 for a room is still not really a discount rate and regardless this condition isn't really acceptable. She said that shed speak to her manager... 30 minutes later HOUSEKEEPING is at our door because the "furniture situation". I explained it wasn't really a housekeeping concern but showed them the furniture. The guy said "this is how all the furniture is, we're replacing it in a few months.." I said well what can you do for the inconvenience and he offered me a discounted stay for our NEXT TRIP. Ok- completely useless because a true customer service wants to make their guests happy NOW not on their "next trip". This place is a MONEY pit. The staff is full of [--] lines to blow you off but no one really wants to help or will help.

Then I took out a blanket to cover the hole in couch. There were long black hairs on the blanket.... Yuck. That went back In closet. Long black hairs again on shower curtain too. This place just lacked cleanliness for me. Felt like one too many families had trampled the place.

The water park was an interesting experience. Worst staff I've ever seen. No one was friendly AT ALL. When my husband asked a slide operator what the difference was between the two slides she shrugged her shoulders and rolled her eyes. The guy operating the zip coaster kept making comments about how many people were in line. I felt it was a really horrible place to work due to the attitudes of these kids working the rides. Everyone was so pissy and blah.

The restaurant the reserve was pretty good. Great wait staff and good food. The java hut morning coffee place was good too for breakfast sandwiches. The arcade was cool-- lots of different games. Expensive though (expected I guess)

The mini golf was kinda a joke. 9 holes all on the same floor just spread out, very boring and basic. We played one of our four rounds and had enough.

Our last and worst issue was at night. This place fills up with drunk people. My husband and I are under 30 and we couldn't believe the atmosphere. At 11pm we were sleeping and suddenly a guest starting screaming on the top of their lungs on their balcony. Woke us up out of a dead sleep. It continued for 10 minutes until my husband called front desk.. Security came up and said "they were investigating" this guy was continuously screaming for about an hour. My husband went down to desk and said if it wasn't so late we'd pack up and leave. The next morning we spoke with guest relations about the noise and ridiculous behavior of their guests and ONCE AGAIN we got a [--] response and they did absolutely nothing for us.

We would never go back.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank CSS22
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandusky
Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
Great Wolf Lodge
Great Wolf Lodge
#7 of 35 in Sandusky
Cedar Point's Hotel Breakers

Been to Kalahari Resorts & Conventions? Share your experiences!