“I absolutely love this place”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #3 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed September 8, 2013

The staff was very nice in the hotel the lifegaurds not so much the hotel was clean and nice I love the kitchen and bathrooms we had more then enough room for our family of 6 and we stayed in a 2 bedroom hotel overall a wonderful place to vacation I love all the rides they have different rides for everyone in the family I will definitely be making this a yearly trip

• Stayed: September 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (3,762)

Reviewed September 8, 2013

The hotel is beautiful. Our room was in the Sands part so far away from the water park I didn't mind at all because I figured it would be quieter but boy was I wrong. Friday night was extremely noisy until after 3 am. The gym, spa, water park and animal section were amazing. Also loved the balcony. The beds weren't very comfortable and the bathroom was small. The room was clean and my daughter loved the tub.

Room Tip: Go during the week. Also at 8 pm a lot of food at their food establishments goes on sale.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

We're glad to hear the everyone had a great time. Thank you so much for visiting us! With everyone under one roof, it is quite large and can be a haul at times. I hope that this didn't impact your stay too much. We are looking forward to seeing you again soon. Thank you for taking the time to review us!

Reviewed September 8, 2013

This was our second visit to Kalahari -Sandusky. The first visit we didn't have much time to enjoy all the resort had to offer. On this second trip, we were very busy with our convention, but had more time to use more of the facility. The water park and outside pool areas were clean, fun and seemed well maintained. The down fall of this resort is the cleanliness and upkeep of the hotel rooms. The daily housekeeping was minimal and hit or miss. Usually I don't care if we have daily housekeeping, however, we were using the (well stocked) kitchen daily and needed resupplies. Upon arrival, the luggage cart left some grimy greasy black smudges on the tile floor at the kitchen. Three days went by before housekeeping decided to clean the floor. (yes, cleaned it, but we decided to see how long it would take for a cleaning product to be used). We did not walk barefooted on any floor surface, as the carpets were dirty as well. Our socks were filthy after walking on the carpets in our rooms. Some days the garbage was emptied, towels left on the floor were sometimes picked up, (we were eco friendly and reused most of the time). Service was very hit or miss. We had a 3-room suite, where the 3 connecting rooms all opened to each other, with 8 occupants. The hotel and resort are a convention destination, and they are in the business to have their hotel at full capacity. As such, they should have sufficient trained staff to provide the necessary level of service customers would expect at this type of resort. The staff (many young) were very pleasant. Either they were not trained very well in what was expected to clean a hotel room, or not supervised, is unknown. The resort really can't claim that they were overwhelmed by the number of guests/rooms booked, because that is their business, to hold conventions and sell out hotel rooms. They knew the level of capacity they would be for that time frame, because our convention had booking deadlines.
Fixtures and furniture in the hotel rooms were worn as well. They needed refreshing and replacement.
We did not use the restaurants on this trip, had previously and they were fine.
We probably will not have a need, or desire to go back to the Kalari. By reading other posts, the lacking housekeeping seems to be a theme, hopefully management will make serious improvements. The resort would be worth the price (given the expense of operating/staffing a water park), IF they would treat their customers to clean rooms.

Room Tip: ground floor rooms facing the pool and zip line provide easy access to those areas.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Annette9000

We're excited that you were able to visit us again! Thank you so much for taking a moment to review us. It is certainly always our pleasure to have you. I am glad that you were able to enjoy the amenities with your convention experience. However, I am discouraged to hear about your quality of your room. I have connected with our Rooms Division Director on the quality of housekeeping in your rooms. Would you please be able to email me your contact info so that I can pinpoint your room and those responsible for the housekeeping? Thank you so much for giving us the opportunity to correct this for you.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

This is the second year in a row that we have visited this resort. My grandchildren absolutely love to come here. We always come the week of labor day. The outdoor park is closed but the indoor park is awesome. The kids don't have to wait in long lines so it is a perfect time for us to visit. We love Kalahari!!!!! Our rooms are always spotless and the staff is always great from the time we walk in the resort to the time we leave.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

I have to say "was" because we've been to the Kalahari quite a few times (3 or 4 times in Wisconsin Dells and now twice in Sandusky). This is the first time we have gone over a holiday weekend, and that was a mistake. It was a lot more expensive to go during the summer, when the outdoor waterpark is still open, and I thought perhaps the addition of the outdoor activities would offset the additional cost. I was wrong. The outdoor section has a regular swimming pool and a kiddie area, as well as a zipline and a ropes course. Our room was far away from everything. While the Kalahari is typically very clean, the last time we stayed here our bedspread was dirty (they came and switched it out immediately), and this time there was a small stain on one of the pillowcases (that looked like blood) and some mildew in the shower. The common areas were all clean though. I expected the place to be more crowded than our usual experience, but I did not expect for so many things to be closed at various points. On the Sunday we were there, at one point, the hot tubs, zip coaster, and wave pool were all closed, which made the other areas that much more crowded. The Lazy River was packed to the point that tubes were floating on top of other tubes whenever a "traffic jam" would occur. We also had a really bad experience in one of the restaurants the night we decided to stay onsite to have dinner, which I will review separately. What was good about the trip? Well, most of the people who work there are very nice (Lifeguards excluded - they are very apathetic). The lady who took our order in the coffee shop was very personable, and the housekeeping staff greeted us every time we walked through the hallways. The decor throughout the resort is beautiful. I love that even in the Hut Rooms there is a fridge and microwave. They have Chocolate Shoppe ice cream, my absolute favorite. The pottery studio is also great. We paint pottery every time we go. The number one thing that has kept us coming back though is that our kid loves the place. We've been to two other large indoor waterparks, and (this visit aside) the Kalahari has always been one of the better ones. We will probably give the Kalahari another chance at some point based on previous experience. If this had been my first trip there, it probably would have been my only trip there. Hopefully, that's not an indication that the place is slipping and this experience is now the norm. :(

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jessica B

We very much appreciate you giving us a shot for the some summer fun. I am sorry to hear we did not live up to your expectations this time around. I can certainly understand your concerns with the housekeeping issues and with ride closures. As safety is our number one concern, we very rarely have to close attractions to ensure the safety of everyone, but with that being said, I can understand the disappointment. I wanted to let you know that I will be connecting with those managers of specific departments you mentioned. Thank you for that opportunity. Last, can you please email me your contact info? KRizzo@KalahariResorts.com. I would love to connect with you further on your concerns. Thank you so much and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

My family and I came during the week for a short get away! We have a 13 year old and an 19 month old and they both had a blast, along with my husband and I. Everything was clean and the staff was very polite and helpful! This was our first time staying, because it gets a little expensive, but we were able to score a great deal on a Hut room that we couldn't pass up! There were no lines for the rides (since we came on a Wednesday/Thursday) and the waterpark was never really crowded! It was perfect for us, since we do have a 19 month old! She was able to run and play wherever! It was a fairly long walk to and from our room to anywhere, but we took an umbrella stroller so it wasn't too bad. We will definitely be staying again!

Reviewed September 5, 2013

This was our first time staying at the Kalahari in Ohio. It was very busy, but never seemed too crowded. Check in was fast and on time. The room was much dingier than I expected, with numerous holes in the furniture similar to cigarette burns and foam popping out plus garbage under the couch. (We have a crawling baby, so I was very concerned about this.) The light outside the room was way too bright at night and we had to hang towels over the side of the drapes to darken the room. The pull out bed was like a board with springs under it so we had to spend extra money and rent a cot the second night. The major downside of the trip is that my husband cracked a rib in the waterpark. He was with our 5 year old in the slides that just end and don't drop you into a pool. You'd think they'd have a bath mat texture at the end, but nope, it's just a wet slide. He slipped as he was standing up and fell on his rib. This was the first day of a week-long vacation, so he was not happy at all. Ended up going to the doctor when we got home from our trip to confirm the injury.

The arcade is very bright and noisy, but in small doses is fun and it has some games and rides that even smaller children can do. One pleasant surprise was the pizza from the Cafe Mirage - among the best pizza I've ever had, and we eat a lot of pizza.

Did the express check out and avoided long lines. Didn't have any problems with staff, but didn't interact with them much. Our son loved it so we'd probably stay again in the future, though maybe not at the high rate we paid this time.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Thank you for coming to visit us and so glad to hear that your little one had a blast! I am sorry to hear about your husband and that his injury negatively impacted everyone's stay. I do hope that he is feeling better. Please give him my best. I will be sure to pass along your concerns and thoughts to our waterpark director and safety committee for review. Thank you for giving us this opportunity to look into this. The pizza is a popular favorite! So glad to hear you enjoyed it too! I will be sure to connect with our housekeeping team about your room. I can certainly understand the concern with the crawling little one. Thank you again for all the feedback. I hope that we do have the opportunity to see you again in the future. Thank you!